The Student Room Group

Uni halls or private accommodation

Hi guys, hopefully those applying for intake next year have an idea of where you'll be and are starting to plan like me. The main issue I have is whether to go back to halls (I have a previous degree and spent my first year there) or go for private accommodation.

There are pro's and con's to both but mainly it comes down to a choice between the hugely social aspect of halls VS having to put up with halls when I'm not in the mood for it, I'm kind of stumped.

So I was wondering are you guys in a similar situation and having trouble deciding? Perhaps we can help each other out and talk it all out.
I think it depends on your age how old are you?
I'll be 23 when term starts which I feel is slightly too old to do halls again. If I hadn't experienced them I reckon I'd be all for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sort of in the same boat as you, I'm 29 and will be moving from a four bed house that I've lived in alone for the past two years to either private halls or university halls, and neither option is massively appealing to me. I'd quite like to fastforward to second year where hopefully I know and can choose the people I'd be living with. In the private halls I've looked at there's studio apartment type accommodation, which seem pretty nice because there's ensuite bath + shower, and your own kitchen - but you're paying quite a premium - also probably a lot less social than uni halls, and from what I gather at least at the uni I'm choosing they try to have at least 2 people per flat or floor doing the same subject whereas private halls grouping is entirely random. Also, I think there's a higher proportion of international students in private halls, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it could suck if you're the only person on your floor who's a native English speaker.

But I think for me, realistically do I want to be living with a bunch of 18-19 year olds, and especially sharing a kitchen with them? Because I like to cook, and there's nothing more I hate than someone being in the kitchen when I'm trying to cook, having food no doubt vanishing from fridges, etc.

I'm still umming and ahhing about accommodation, but I won't know if I've met the requirements for my firm choice uni til july, so I've still got a while to decide.
Yeah I think we are in similar situations. I'm back living with my parents this year, which although they are lovely I can't wait to move out again. I spent my last two years at uni living in a two bed flat with my best mate which was a really nice flat. So going back to 6-8 people who are mostly figuring out life on their own I can see being annoying at times.

That being said halls are so sociable I'd always feel like I'm missing out if I wasn't there. Also the halls where I'm going don't look great so I'm looking more at the private type halls/large student accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jambodahibee
I'll be 23 when term starts which I feel is slightly too old to do halls again. If I hadn't experienced them I reckon I'd be all for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did halls at 23 and it was fine see if you can get 2nd or 3rd yer halls the nice thing about them is that you get all the fun bit's of freshers week like the SU's nights out and stuff but you are with more responvabel people so you won't be stuck with kids of 18 or 19 that are on there own for the first time being loud and staying up until 3 or 4 o'clock every night also you don't have the joy of 2 AM fire alarms how does that sound? I think most unit have 1 or 2 halls for stuff like that
I'm starting at brunel in September aged 35 and will be in halls on campus but in a flat specifically for mature students. Check with the accommodation office at the unis you're applying to and ask if they do similar. There are a lot of mature students these days and the unis are adapting to be attractive to us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi. i am in a similiar dilema too. I am 28 and will be studying Medicine this September.

Uni halls:
Pros: As i am moving to a new city and i am a quiet person anyways,I have been told it is the easiest way to make friends.
Freshers week and other social events organised by the halls
Contract length adjusted to actual term weeks
Save money++ as private houses are almost 50% cheaper than uni halls (and it matters as we pay ridiculously high fees)
choice of where and who you live with (till a certain extent)
Atleast in Manchester Uni, you can request for moderated living accommodation (no alcohol, no noise etc rules)
less hassel as fill 1 form and then all done
some halls have onsite library and study rooms

Cons: Living and working by myself, i would get annoyed with the loudness and 'typical' antics of being in halls but i have never lived in one so maybe its an experience.
Halls are more expensive.
majority of halls's furniture and fixtures are basic and possibly dated
i will have to take time off work,travel costs,hotel expenses and hassle of look for houses privately and extra formalities.
maybe distracting for intense courses (like medicine) with frequent events, loud noises, disturbances.

I have applied to the halls anyways not get in before the deadline and still pondering best course of action. I have joined offer holders/2015 applicants social forums to meet my course mates and perhaps might click with someone enough to get a house together straightaway....Just my thoughts but would love to hear other's perspectives and advice too.
I think I might put myself in for halls, I've been living alone for two years, and yeah, I think it gets lonely - I think the fact that I'm going to go for a 51 week let at my uni, then the chances are that there will be older students in a similar situation who might also go for that let, and so will be in the accommodation with me.

Also, it's really only for the first year until you find friends to houseshare with in second year, so even if you are grouped with a bunch of 18 year olds tasting freedom for the first time, then it's not the end of the world. But at the same time as I don't like to think of myself as that old, being 29, to proper freshers it's ancient, and I definitely prefer a slower pace of life. The worst that can happen is a few (or maybe more) sleepless nights, but on the plus side you could end up making some great friends, and it's a nice way to meet people not on your course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending