The Student Room Group

UCAS extra process?

I am seriously considering using the ucas extra service as I have changed my mind about the university I want to go to. I haven't accepted any of my 5 offers. My first choice would've been royal holloway for English and it would've been perfect, except the more I look into/research/talk to people who have been (and left because they didn't like it) I've realised its not for me. The fact that many students go home at the weekends and there's not much going on really doesn't appeal to me. I know a good night life shouldn't be a main reason for going to a uni.. But if I'm spending all that money I want to know I'll be somewhere where I'm happy. I would really like to study at Loughborough but I haven't applied there. I am considering applying there through extra. On the ucas website my course (English) is available through ucas extra. Can someone tell me, do I have to contact Loughborough first before rejecting all my current offers? Also do I have to send off another personal statement and application and my teachers send another reference etc or do they use my original application if i am applying for the same course? Finally, how likely is it for me to receive an offer if my predicted grades exceed their requirements? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SO1997
I am seriously considering using the ucas extra service as I have changed my mind about the university I want to go to. I haven't accepted any of my 5 offers. My first choice would've been royal holloway for English and it would've been perfect, except the more I look into/research/talk to people who have been (and left because they didn't like it) I've realised its not for me. The fact that many students go home at the weekends and there's not much going on really doesn't appeal to me. I know a good night life shouldn't be a main reason for going to a uni.. But if I'm spending all that money I want to know I'll be somewhere where I'm happy. I would really like to study at Loughborough but I haven't applied there. I am considering applying there through extra. On the ucas website my course (English) is available through ucas extra. Can someone tell me, do I have to contact Loughborough first before rejecting all my current offers? Also do I have to send off another personal statement and application and my teachers send another reference etc or do they use my original application if i am applying for the same course? Finally, how likely is it for me to receive an offer if my predicted grades exceed their requirements? Thanks.

I applied twice through extra, I received all 5 offers but like you I changed my mind and applied through extra to Kent and firmed their offer but called them and asked them to release me and then applied to queen Mary and got an offer from them and firmed them (I am finally happy haha). Just saying all this to show you that I know the process haha. Anyway you need to call Loughborough first to see if they actually have spaces because sometimes the uni is full but doesn't remove their course off extra. When you call them ask if their course is available on extra, if so then tell them your predicted grades and subjects and ask whether they'd be willing to accept you and then decline your offers. Your application stays the same so you don't need to change your reference or personal statement. However if you are applying for a different course then the uni may ask you to email them a different personal statement for that subject. If your predicted grades exceed their entry requirements then I'd say you stand a good chance but it depends on the quality of the other applicants and your personal statement etc but yeh call them up and see if they'll consider you. Btw what makes you think that the night life at Loughborough is better than royal holloway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks for the help! Looking at reviews and speaking to a few students who actually went there and then left. I know that there's not much in Loughborough town but their student union is rated one of the top in the country, royal holloway's is one of the lowest! I also applied to queen Mary and got an offer, but i live too close I want to get away! Lol
Reply 3
Original post by SO1997
Thanks for the help! Looking at reviews and speaking to a few students who actually went there and then left. I know that there's not much in Loughborough town but their student union is rated one of the top in the country, royal holloway's is one of the lowest! I also applied to queen Mary and got an offer, but i live too close I want to get away! Lol

Oh okay makes sense haha. I live in London but still like an hour from queen Mary so I'm not that close. They're probably shut now so you should call tomorrow if you haven't already done so. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
One last thing, because I have received all my offers I have to choose my firm by 6th may, if I haven't applied to Loughborough by then (want to visit 1 more time before choosing for definite) should I firm royal holloway anyway? And then apply to Loughborough later on? If I firm holloway do I have to ring them and ask them to release me? Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by SO1997
One last thing, because I have received all my offers I have to choose my firm by 6th may, if I haven't applied to Loughborough by then (want to visit 1 more time before choosing for definite) should I firm royal holloway anyway? And then apply to Loughborough later on? If I firm holloway do I have to ring them and ask them to release me? Thanks

Yeh if you firm them then you have to call them to be released but they don't have to say yes so just bear that in mind. If you think that you will definitely not apply by the deadline then it's best to firm somewhere as then you will at least have somewhere if you don't apply to Loughborough before the deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SO1997

You cannot use UCAS Extra if you currently hold offers, and there is no mechanism to do so if that is the case. You have, therefore, to decline all offers received before using UCAS Extra. It is designed for people who do not receive any offers but can be used by those who don't want the offers they receive. However, doing that risks all, especially for a competitive subject like English. You simply must call Loughborough before doing anything, which means acting now.
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
You cannot use UCAS Extra if you currently hold offers, and there is no mechanism to do so if that is the case. You have, therefore, to decline all offers received before using UCAS Extra. It is designed for people who do not receive any offers but can be used by those who don't want the offers they receive. However, doing that risks all, especially for a competitive subject like English. You simply must call Loughborough before doing anything, which means acting now.

But you could call a uni to ask you to release you. I was holding a firm offer and called them to release me into extra and then I used it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
But you could call a uni to ask you to release you. I was holding a firm offer and called them to release me into extra and then I used it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. The point is that there is no mechanism to apply unless you relinquish what you have. You gamble offers in the bag (and this is English, a competitive subject, remember) after the equal opportunity deadline has long passed.

No university will be able to give an offer assurance until it has received an application, which cannot happen until the previous offers have been done away with.
Reply 9
Does anyone know the likelihood of receiving and offer? As it is such a risk.
Reply 10
Original post by SO1997

Only loughborough can tell you that but if they have spaces and your predicted grades are higher than their entry requirements and your personal statement is good then id stay you stand a good chance. If you don't want to take the risk then wait for adjustment so you don't risk losing your offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Good bloke
Yes. The point is that there is no mechanism to apply unless you relinquish what you have. You gamble offers in the bag (and this is English, a competitive subject, remember) after the equal opportunity deadline has long passed.

No university will be able to give an offer assurance until it has received an application, which cannot happen until the previous offers have been done away with.

Fair point, suppose it varies with universities because my course was so quite popular

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SO1997

The best thing you can do is call Loughborough, explain what the situation is and ask what the odds are of getting an offer if you go into UCAS Extra. They may not even have vacancies; many courses appear to be still available on the UCAS website but aren't really. This is a very risky undertaking.
Reply 13
Good news, contacted Loughborough and they said they still have space on the course and would certainly consider my application due to my predicted grades :biggrin: so fingers crossed I'll get an offer. I am going to see it on Wednesday again! Thanks for everyone's help.
Reply 14
Original post by SO1997
Good news, contacted Loughborough and they said they still have space on the course and would certainly consider my application due to my predicted grades :biggrin: so fingers crossed I'll get an offer. I am going to see it on Wednesday again! Thanks for everyone's help.

Ah that's great! Good luck and hope you have a speedy response! Let us know their reply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SO1997
they still have space on the course and would certainly consider my application due to my predicted grades.

That is good news, and I hope you get an offer. But just remember, will consider is not will definitely give an offer. Good luck!
Original post by SO1997

Good news - don't delay applying if they say they have space now that may not be the case in a fortnight's time. If this is the route you want to take then decline your other offers ASAP and get your Extra application to Loughborough before the weekend.
Reply 17
when using UCAS extra, does your original application just get sent off? Do you have to add anything or do anything else? Also will my school be contacted? Thanks.
Original post by SO1997
when using UCAS extra, does your original application just get sent off?

Yes.

Do you have to add anything or do anything else?

Well, obviously, you have to state the extra course you are applying to.

Also will my school be contacted?

That is unlikely.
Reply 19
Will my original application be sent off? And will my school be contacted? I went to the university yesterday as I was invited to an English workshop, and spoke with the head of department about my situation. Do I need to do anything else other than reject my offers and reply? Or is it literally just my original application sent off without having to add anything/ fill in any other application? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending