The Student Room Group

AS AQA English Language B - General help on stuff?

So I'm doing AS English Language and I know the exam's not til after half-term but I really want to do well in this, hopefully A by the end of the 2 years.
So I'm struggling with essay technique and power. I missed a bunch of lessons on power and I've been trying to revise and I've been told about "Grice's Maxims" but I have absolutely no idea what they are and how to apply them!? Can anyone help with that or anything to do with English Language please? :smile:
Same
With power you really don't need to know much but I can understand why you would want to avoid it.
The Grices Maxims consists of 5 rules: The maxim of quantity: Which is saying the right amount for the context e.g How are you?
The maxim of relevance: Is saying what is relevant to the conservation e.g how are you? I'm good thanks. They responded with a relevant response.
The maxim of manner: Speaking in a clear and organised fashion.
The maxim of quality: Telling the truth.
Flouting the maxims occurs when the four rules above are broken for example with the maxim of relevance if somebody said how are you? And they responded with I've just fed the dogs. That is flouting the maxims.

If you need any more help with power stuff feel free to PM I'm really confident with the stuff and honestly you don't even have to write much power stuff in your essay. I only wrote about 3 theories in my mock exam and still got an A
That's terrible advice in my opinion, sure you may have one you prefer. However, you might not like the text given on the day. That's why it's best to learn all three, also they overlap anyways so it's impossible to ignore the other two

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only focused on gender in my AS too and it worked fine for me (although I did spend some time revising power too as a back-up). One thing that really helped me this year in A2 though is remembering to mention all three AOs in each paragraph. So when you're annotating and planning, identify AO1 (Language features) and then link it to a theory (AO2) and finish off with context (AO3). Then you're able to write the paragraphs quite fast because you know exactly what you need to say. If you practise doing that a lot then you should do pretty well in the exam :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest