The Student Room Group

what grade would you give this english lit analysis.

.Shake sphere displays disturbed minds through showing Macbeth’s desire for blood and death of which lady Macbeth no longer wants part in. We first see lady Macbeth’s hesitations when she questions Macbeth with the quote: “what's to be done?”, when interrogating him about banquo. Throughout the play, we are aware of Lady Macbeth’s ambition and desire to kill the king, this has been accomplished already and the fact that Macbeth is wanting more even though the deed has been done leaves Lady Macbeth confused and unaware of what Macbeth actually wants, hence why she questions him. The question mark also exemplifies her confusion about Macbeth’s own mind. Previously, her question marks have been to tempt Macbeth to kill the king, and to motivate his ambition, with quotes such as: ‘art thou afeard to be the same in thine own act and valor as thou art in desire?’ She accused him of cowardice to try and convince him to kill Duncan and now that the the deed has been done, the question is mark is being used to question Macbeth’s evil intentions on what to do with banquo, despite being clearly being an expert at killing, she does not suggest a method to depose banquo because she has no desire to., despite Duncan being killed, Macbeth wants to commit an even more atrocious act of murder. The fact that Macbeth wants more forces Lady Macbeth to question his intentions because Macbeth’s desire is now greater than Lady Macbeth’s , Macbeth wants banquo murdered, lady Macbeth doesn’t. The question mark could also be used to show Lady Macbeth’s own confusion and be wilderness. She cannot believe what Macbeth has become, she was once a woman of power who could control Macbeth to do anything she wanted, but now she has lost that power and Macbeth’s mind is beyond her control or understanding and her be wilderness is because she is unable to comprehend on what monster she has created. This is contrary to the numerous letters they previously sent to each other, each letter showing similar interests , but now there is a breakdown of communication and Macbeth has greater desires and different ambitions to Lady Macbeth because lady Macbeth is forced to question him, hence the question mark. The simple sentence also exemplifies that she has no words to respond to Macbeth or nothing to add to help him because she has no desire to kill banquo. The simple sentence also shows that she is so shocked at what Macbeth is contemplating because she wants to end her sentences as quickly as possible, instead of responding to him coherently with complex sentences or add anything with compound sentences. She is trying to escape her peril by hiding in the shadows of a simple sentence; she wants no part in banquo’s murder. Another simple sentence used by lady Macbeth to prove this is: ‘you must leave this’. At the time of shake sphere, the audience would mostly be Christian and the bible has taught them that life is a sacred gift from God. A quote in the bible ‘All life is sacred’ exemplifies this. The fact that Macbeth has no regard for human life as he wants to kill banquo shows he is turning away from God and Christians believed that a life without God means humans will walk through an unknown path without guidance. Macbeth is travelling along the unknown path and is lost. This is why lady Macbeth is forced to question his own mind. The play is also a tragedy, meaning a protagonist with a flaw will bring a downfall to that protagonist. Macbeth was once a man of honor who respected the ‘divine right of kings’, but now his lust for murder has become his flaw and inevitably has led to his downfall and has become an evil character with no morals or boundaries, and because of this, he is on an unknown path away from God and Lady Macbeth does not know where that path will lead to. This theme of blood thirst and desire for death is also present in the laboratory. A quote: ‘which is the poison to poison her, prithee?’ She wants the women who took her lover away to suffer and die. The repetition of poison and the plosive P sound exemplifies her obsession with death. Connotation of poison is venom and death. She imagines her being succumbed to it over and over again in her head and she thinks of the outcome of every poison and thinks of her death over and over from all types of poisons she can create and she is trying to find the right one to make her die a horrible and painful death, hence the which is the poison to poison her.” The plosive P suggests that she does not want a poison that kills her without pain, she wants a powerful poison that makes her suffer. Similarly to Macbeth, they both desire death and thirst for blood. At the time of Robert Browning England was becoming increasingly urban, and newspapers daily assaulted the senses with splashy tales of crime and lust in the city. Many people began to lose faith in religion as various new scientific theories. Robert browning is trying to reflect through the women who thinks of nothing but death. Her lust for another man has forced her to ponder on the murder and torture of the person who took her lover away. Her lust, which is a sin and her clear desire for death , which is also a sin has made her lose faith in religion, just like the people of England have when new scientific theories were discovered such as evolution, meaning more people think they have the freedom to commit crimes and break the law.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
'give me the keyz u cuc suckin mutha fkaaaa fsnfshndssd!!!!!!'
Shake sphere?
Reply 3
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Shake sphere?

yeah. just changed that, im such a silly goose.
Original post by shwansalah
yeah. just changed that, im such a silly goose.

I forgive you.
Reply 5
No expert but I'm relatively certain that's high A to A*
Reply 6
I would say its around a B/A grade analysis, your use of quotes is good however your grammar and choice of vocabulary is not consistently sound, for example when you write "we first see that lady Macbeth's hesitation".Although, what you have got so far is good it could be further improved by providing some background information on Macbeth perhaps? E.g the transition into the Jacobean period after the death of Queen Elizabeth and how that influenced Shakespeare's works, and more specifically, Macbeth. Are you in year 11? you should specify the question as well
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
year 10, I'll fix that grammatical error , the question is : how does william shakespere potray disturbed minds.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by shwansalah
year 10, I'll fix that grammatical error

Very good response considering you are only in year 10, well done mate
Reply 9
Ok my first paragraph is finished, what do you think? Hmm what should I talk about the transition to the Jacobean period and the death of queen Elizabeth and how that links to the theme of murder and blood thirst.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I've made the context for Macbeth more detailed, highlighting that the play is a tragedy. I know it's long but please someone read the whole thing!
Reply 11
BUMP!
Reply 12
BUMP

Quick Reply

Latest