The Student Room Group

GCSE advice im behind

Hi I’m so behind in some subjects I would really appreciate it if someone has tips/resources on what to do and how to revise

I need help on combined science/English lit and lan, computer science and history

Also is it to late to get 7 and above in everything if I’m on 4s right now
Original post by Depressed44
Hi I’m so behind in some subjects I would really appreciate it if someone has tips/resources on what to do and how to revise

I need help on combined science/English lit and lan, computer science and history

I found the CGP revision guides very useful when I ended up behind in my subjects as it puts most of the content you need to know into a condensed package. I would probably ask your teachers to help you catch up, as they will want you to do well.
Reply 2

Honestly you can get 9s if you try so dw.

For science start trying to do practice papers to find what topics you're completely unsure of (if that is everything it’s fine as well), then start going through each topic from least known to most. You can use Physics & Maths tutor for this.

For Computer science you just need to practice coding, as much as it is so boring. You can try learning the theory using Seneca or if you have notes made already but I’m sure if you search up your exam board and notes there should be some made by someone else. I personally recommend the CGP python for this.

English lit is just reading your books and poetry then finding key quotes and practicing analysis with it + context, make sure you make a document with your quotes and analysis. Language is just practice, obviously if you have tuition or even a teacher who is willing to look at your papers I would recommend (I know it’s embarrassing)
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3

As someone who was working at a 5 in eng lang and 6 in eng lit and then got an 8 in lang and 9 in lit in 2023, it’s definitely not too late! For English, it’s all about practice questions in timed conditions (make sure to hand them in to your teacher for them to mark it and give you feedback). I did Jekyll and Hyde, Macbeth, An Inspector Calls and Power and Conflict Poetry Anthology so some YouTubers I recommend for grade 9 analysis are Stacey Reay, Everything English and Mr Sallesz Genius, you know that website with the song lyrics, also can have some great analysis but also not so great ones so be careful. I also had a private tutor to help me 4 months before the exam (I used the website Sherpa and looked up GCSE English) and did some free courses during the Easter also on Sherpa for both English Language and Literatue.

Here is a website that has AQA English Language Exemplars for each question: https://www.mbrogcseenglish.com/

Anyways good luck for your exams and enjoy your well deserved holiday afterwards 😁
Reply 4

I went from a 6 in eng lit to a 9 in the real exam and a 5 in eng lang to a 8 in the real thing in 2023

- https://www.mbrogcseenglish.com/ (has exemplars for each question in AQA eng lang papers)
- Stacey reay, mr everything English, mr salles (best YouTubers when it comes to grade 9 analysis in literature)
- complete exam papers in timed conditions and hand them in to your teacher (ask them for a mark and for feedback)
- provide alternative interpretations (be perceptive, look for things that stand out to you and most people wouldn’t notice)
- memories short but ‘juicy’ quotations (ones that you can analyse the most)
- make a bunch of essay plans and memorise them (you’d be surprised at how many questions are linked with each other)
- I used this flash card app called Gizmo to memorise quotations
- Anki is also a flash card app but I used it for grade 9 analysis/analysis that I would not be able to think of myself

Good luck for your exams and enjoy a well deserved break afterwards 😁

Quick Reply

Latest