The Student Room Group

Finish US Degree or take UK A levels?

I'm a British citizen but moved to the US at age 14. I completed High School (but I don't have equivalent A Levels) and I'm currently in my first year at college here. My aim is to attend UK Medical school. I have to decide whether to continue and gain a BS Biology (I only know of Newcastle as not requiring A levels if have 2:1) or take online A Levels in hopes of getting AAA (this would save time and money but is very risky).
Desperately need to make a decision, so I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Reply 1
I'd suggest you finish your current degree and then apply to medical school. You'll have a better chance getting into the top medical schools and most of your competitors will only have A-Levels. It's also just comes across better on a CV (ie, you'd have two degrees).
Original post by A1112787
I'd suggest you finish your current degree and then apply to medical school. You'll have a better chance getting into the top medical schools and most of your competitors will only have A-Levels. It's also just comes across better on a CV (ie, you'd have two degrees).

Thank you for your response. That makes sense, however, if I did online A levels and spent half my time in the UK I'd have a better chance of being counted as a Home student for fees. Aside from the financial benefits, wouldn't that also increase my chances of admission as a UK student?
Original post by medicalquestion
I'm a British citizen but moved to the US at age 14. I completed High School (but I don't have equivalent A Levels) and I'm currently in my first year at college here. My aim is to attend UK Medical school. I have to decide whether to continue and gain a BS Biology (I only know of Newcastle as not requiring A levels if have 2:1) or take online A Levels in hopes of getting AAA (this would save time and money but is very risky).
Desperately need to make a decision, so I would really appreciate any suggestions.

I read somewhere on here (can't remember where, sorry) that some universities will take you onto their undergrad medicine course if you've done 1-2 years of US college level education. I think you may be able to follow this route, but you'll need to get proactive and contact lots of universities. Honestly, the quickest method to find out anything is to just contact unis, they're really friendly and always willing to help. Just explain your situation and ask what their policy is on US qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending