The Student Room Group
hiya! wel ive been 2 both open days, and i like lancaster a lot better because i like the ideas of the colleges! also i didnt like liverpool that much not sure why, i jus didnt. but its up2 u! hope ive helped a little bit xxx
Reply 2
I'm at Lancaster in my first year doing Psychology, and it's really really good. I have absolutely no idea what liverpool is like, so naturally this is biased, but the campus is great, the department is great and it's just all very well run. If you've got any questions about Psychology/Lancaster in general I'll be happy to answer them :smile:
Reply 3
I'm from Liverpool. Been to the uni a fair few times and don't rate it tbh, it looks fairly...down-trodden lol. Friendly people though and awesome night life. Depends what you value I guess. I don't know much about it's rep for psych. though as I was never going to apply there.
x
Reply 4
Hello!
Like Becky Bee im doing first year psychology at Lancaster at the moment too. I would greatly recommend it!! Im also very biased but the uni is so great, the course is interesting and fun, and the department is really good. Im a Student rep for Part 101 psychology so Iv met and work with all the lecturers and in all meetings they are constantly trying to improve the course for us. ( which is pretty hard because theres not been very many complaints so far!) The only thing to warn you is that theres alot of statistics - lectures and 3 hour practical a week, not many ppl knew this and were abit shocked! But Id presume this was the same for Liverpool if its the same course.
If you are applying for october, we are at the moment working on making the course even better for you!
I havent seen liverpool, but id definately recommend Lancaster.
xx
Reply 5
Oh, as for the city thing - we are a campus university but that means everything is pretty much ON campus (excluding clothes shops!haha).
Theres 9 bars if you dont want to get the bus into town, but then if you do its only a 15min bus ride into town and theres..i think if i recall...23 bars/pubs/clubs in lancaster and most are in easy walking distance of each other. If you finish off at Sugarhouse (the uni's club) theres a free bus back at 2/3am depending on the day. Taxis back to the uni cost around £7-£9 pounds which isnt much between 4 ppl.
Also for through the day, buses drop off right outside new look and is only a few min walk through to dorothy perkins etc and the VUE cinema!
Sorry for the long replies!haha but as most lanc students say - i love it!
xx
Reply 6
Well there's been loads of replies for lancaster so i shall do my bit to rate liverpool...im a third year psychology student there. It's fab!! The teaching is really good, i know all lecturers tend to be good in their field but for example our social psychology lecturer who'll teach you in all three years was in charge of policing tactics at euro 2004 and its stuff like that that makes them really passionate about what they're teaching. There's a good range of options for you to take come third year and some in second year too. The course has also got a good social side with a psychology society with socials, a footy team, student reps etc. As for liverpool itself its a fantastic place the people are so friendly and there's hundreds of bars and clubs. The student union is the second largest in europe and does legendary club nights twice a week and the bars are open every night. Psychology building is really good and in a good location, couple of minutes walk into town and near the union etc. The best thing for you to do is visit both and apply to the one that you like best!
Is this the Liverpool one?

Liverpool is a great city and has a growing number of students. Just walk around the city centre on any week day and it's full of students which I think is fantastic. It has a brilliant nightlife and with the birthday celebrations this year and the Capital of Culture next year it's the place to be over the next 2 years.
Reply 8
thanks everyone. i'm gonna go liverpool purely because i went to the open day and fell in love with the place.

:smile: your comments were really helpful n i'm glad your all happy where u are
Liverpool is home to over 40,000 students which must say something about the quality of education available at any of our universities. As well as the academic views, the social and night life is someting not to be reckoned with!
There are bars aimed purely at students and there will be a dedicated student night every day of the week at some bar!!! As promotions manager for The Sports Cafe, Liverpool, I can vouch for the complete accessibillity Liverpool has to offer to students. I would reccommend the city to anyone! If anyone would like any information or advice, please just email me and I will try to help the best I can. My email is [email protected]
Reply 11
I'm doing my second year of Applied Psychology at JMU, it's fantastic. The first year you get to meet lots of cool people, the second year you meet even more. The city is developing as we study, new buildings and roads are constantly being built, so there's a fair few bit of road work that goes on currently. 2008 is supposed to be a specific year, Capital of Culture, although I'm not quite sure why. Night life is great, so many pubs and clubs to visit, basically everything. I've not experienced Lancaster, but sounds a bit boring if you ask me...haha.
Reply 12
One Word.... Lancaster!

Latest