The Student Room Group

Oxford's Mphil in International Relations

[INDENT] Hi everyone
I'm an international student and I have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask before I consider applying for my desired course. It would be really, really great if I can get helpful information answering my queries. So, here I go, a little bit of background:

[INDENT]
I don't know if this really matters or not but I come from an African country and I studied my undergrad at a mediocre private university where I graduated with a gpa of 3.75.

My undergrad major was International Organizations but to be completely honest I didn't do quite well at first and I have a few poor grades here and there. So I took up a masters degree in Political Science at a very ancient university in my country and I did quite well. I ended up with a straight 4.0 gpa and received a distinction grade in my thesis. Then I took up the IELTS Academic and scored over 8.5 in all sections. Fair enough, I am extremely interested in the Mphil of International relations at Oxford and my ambition is to continue on to do the Dphil. I don't know if my above credentials are enough though so I would love to hear your opinion on my situation specifically if you are a post grad at Oxford. I need to also clarify something; the reason I pursued a Masters degree is because the Cambridge University International Requirements at minimum is a Masters degree where I am from. Even though Oxford University doesn't state the like in it's website I assumed it was the deal as with Cambridge; that international students coming from third world countries need a higher level degree as a prerequisite to demonstrate their competence for the world class programmes both universities offer.

So I was wondering am I on the right track? and what should I do to increase my chances of getting in? I would be very, very grateful for any insight on this matter. For what it's worth I still haven't asked any of my professors to write any letters of rec, frankly I'm uncertain and pretty anxious about all of this.Please, please, please be honest and frank about what you really think my chances of getting in are. I know that my undergrad grades are not strong as they should be for an offer but I tried to make-up for them and compensate in my masters of PoliSci. Finally, thanks a million for reading all of this, I was thinking of speaking to one of my professors about applying but I decided to come here first and "test the waters".

P.S: I apologize in advance for any typos or grammatical errors as I am writing this from my phone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending