The Student Room Group

Theory Test Tomorrow - Any Advice?

I've got my theory test tomorrow afternoon. I've done loads of online mocks and always scored 96 or 98%, and always got 4s and 5s on the Hazard tests, but is there anything that caught you out on the theory test? Anything you weren't expecting?

I heard some horror stories about hard "story" questions like

Johnny has been prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine to take each day. What must he look out for when driving to ensure a safe journey?

A) Dizziness when turning round tight bends
B) Drowsiness when driving at night
C) Sudden onsets of nausea
D) Intermittent blurry vision
Original post by Poldark00
I've got my theory test tomorrow afternoon. I've done loads of online mocks and always scored 96 or 98%, and always got 4s and 5s on the Hazard tests, but is there anything that caught you out on the theory test? Anything you weren't expecting?

Johnny has been prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine to take each day. What must he look out for when driving to ensure a safe journey?

I didn't get anything that I didn't expect. It's good that you did revision for your exam. The only thing I'd advise is to get plenty of sleep and not think about it too much.

When I did my theory test, I overslept and even missed my alarm. Good thing that I managed to wake up before the theory test, got ready in a record time (literally like 2 minutes) and luckily was still able to make it there on time.

And I never heard of such question that refers to a certain medicine unless the questions have been changed since I did my theory exam. The questions should be in general format such as 'Johhny took medicine and is starting to feel drowsy, what should he do?'.
I too he
Original post by Poldark00

ard
Original post by Suldok
I didn't get anything that I didn't expect. It's good that you did revision for your exam. The only thing I'd advise is to get plenty of sleep and not think about it too much.

When I did my theory test, I overslept and even missed my alarm. Good thing that I managed to wake up before the theory test, got ready in a record time (literally like 2 minutes) and luckily was still able to make it there on time.

And I never heard of such question that refers to a certain medicine unless the questions have been changed since I did my theory exam. The questions should be in general format such as 'Johhny took medicine and is starting to feel drowsy, what should he do?'.

OP, as suldok says, you won't be asked any questions that need t be some kind of pharmacist. Look at the phrasing of the question to help you - it's listed side effects that are, incidentally, ALL relevant to that drug. It's asking out of those side effects, which is most likely to affect driving. I'd say blurry vision, since at least with drowsiness, dizziness and nausea you have time to pull over and stop.

I think your friends might be exaggerating a bit on the complexity of the questions though. Just remember, your theory test for you - especially since you've been revising - will be 95% common sense.

A word of advice, if you're not sure about something, go back to it and read ALL he other questions, they may have the answer!

For example:

Question 5 - what is the safe distance you should leave between you and the car in front on a clear day?
2 seconds
2 metres
2 car lengths
2 centre divider markings

Question 35 - When does the two second rule NOT apply?
Driving in a 30 zone
Driving on a motorway
In heavy fog
On a one way street
Reply 3
Original post by Suldok

Original post by XMaramena
I too he

ard

OP, as suldok says, you won't be asked any questions that need t be some kind of pharmacist. Look at the phrasing of the question to help you - it's listed side effects that are, incidentally, ALL relevant to that drug. It's asking out of those side effects, which is most likely to affect driving. I'd say blurry vision, since at least with drowsiness, dizziness and nausea you have time to pull over and stop.

I think your friends might be exaggerating a bit on the complexity of the questions though. Just remember, your theory test for you - especially since you've been revising - will be 95% common sense.

A word of advice, if you're not sure about something, go back to it and read ALL he other questions, they may have the answer!

For example:

Question 5 - what is the safe distance you should leave between you and the car in front on a clear day?
2 seconds
2 metres
2 car lengths
2 centre divider markings

Question 35 - When does the two second rule NOT apply?
Driving in a 30 zone
Driving on a motorway
In heavy fog
On a one way street

I passed :smile:

There were some weird questions though o.O

"You are waiting at a pelican crossing and the lights start flashing amber. There are still pedestrians crossing. Which action do you take?"

Choose one answer:

[] Sound your horn to make crossing pedestrians hurry up
[] Set off anyway even when pedestrians are still crossing
[] Wait for the pedestrians to cross before moving off
[] Wait until the crossing is clear, then move off when the light turns green.
That's not really a weird question. How come did you find it weird?P.s: Congratulations on passing! When are you planning to start learning to drive?
How did you find the hazard perception test? What exactly did you have to do? And if you don't mind me asking what scores did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Suldok
That's not really a weird question. How come did you find it weird?P.s: Congratulations on passing! When are you planning to start learning to drive?

Because 2 answers say pretty much the same thing. I already started learning a couple of weeks ago.

Original post by CosmicAero
How did you find the hazard perception test? What exactly did you have to do? And if you don't mind me asking what scores did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The hazard perception was fine - I just had to click whenever I saw a developing hazard. It was CGI though, which took me by surprise a little. Not like the actual video ones that they have online to practice on.

I got 56 on the Multiple Choice, and 61 on the Hazard Perception (but I scored 0 on one because I think I clicked too early, so it didn't count.

There were a lot of tram questions on the multiple choice though - I was sat there thinking "hold on, am I sitting a theory test for tram drivers here?" lol
Reply 7
got mine tmoz
I had mine today and passed first time. My main advice would be to focus carefully and read the questions. And if all else fails, guess!
I had a few questions I'd never seen before so I had no idea and was convinced I'd failed. I carried on with the test anyway figuring it'd be good to practice the hazard perception. I came out and said to the lady "I know I failed" then opened my letter to see I'd passed :biggrin:

So, in a nutshell, if you think you've done rubbish, just keep going. If you're getting good scores in your mocks, you'll be fine :smile:

The hazard perception clips are CGI on a big screen which makes the hazards easier to spot than on the mock clips which is nice.

I got 44/50 and 53/75

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
What were some of the questions you hadn't seen before ? Can you give some examples please
Can you please say what some of the Hazards were which they showed? And what was the clip with the two Hazards what did that show?
Reply 11
Well pretty much you put all your stuff in a locker, confirm your details then wait in a waiting room for a while. The receptionist will call your name and you walk over to the room where all the computers are. A memer of staff will give you an allocated computer. Oh and also the person might check your wrists and arms... O_O I got told to pull my sleeves up and get my pockets searched.. :L But this was in scumdee (Dundee) I suppose... Then you do the test. You can get a practise question to get a feel for the touchscreen system. As long as you know your stuff you'll do it first time like I did! Good luck! :smile:
passed, theory was a breeze just the hazard had me praying a bit. Put in work then you'll pass
Reply 13
Original post by pascal122
passed, theory was a breeze just the hazard had me praying a bit. Put in work then you'll pass

Well done! It isn't too bad, eh? Now you've got the next hurdle - the actual practical driving test!
[QUOTE=".A_C.;57516923"]Well done! It isn't too bad, eh? Now you've got the next hurdle - the actual practical driving test![/QUOTE
did you pass your practical driving test?
Reply 15
[QUOTE="pascal122;57517127"]
Original post by .A_C.
Well done! It isn't too bad, eh? Now you've got the next hurdle - the actual practical driving test![/QUOTE
did you pass your practical driving test?

Yeah I passed my driving test 2nd time last year on the 1st of July! Just over a year I've been driving :smile: Now that you've passed your theory have you booked your practical, or have you just started taking lessons? :biggrin:
going to start getting lessons when i have the money for it or should i do an automatic test asap and pass that? but that means i wont drive manual so i dunno, nice one for passing tho :smile:
[QUOTE=".A_C.;57517719"]
Original post by pascal122

Yeah I passed my driving test 2nd time last year on the 1st of July! Just over a year I've been driving :smile: Now that you've passed your theory have you booked your practical, or have you just started taking lessons? :biggrin:
Original post by CosmicAero
What were some of the questions you hadn't seen before ? Can you give some examples please

It was just stuff I hadn't revised very well like stopping distances etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
I got mine soon probs wont revise tbh, Iv passed it before but it expires as I didnt put much effort in practical lessons, but now i need to drive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending