The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

abrp
its bad because im competing with people with 10A*.

I didnt get 10A*...more like 5 of each ...well I got an offer from ucl so I dunno
Is it true there are like 60% asians/chinese at lse? lol how abt ucl?
well sorry to add another asian to ucl...i'm a korean/singaporean born in canada raised in hk went to a british school type.

and to the guy who got rejected from pembroke....i got rejected too lol...but at least u have an open offer!
Reply 21
duckyrubber
I didnt get 10A*...more like 5 of each ...well I got an offer from ucl so I dunno
Is it true there are like 60% asians/chinese at lse? lol how abt ucl?
well sorry to add another asian to ucl...i'm a korean/singaporean born in canada raised in hk went to a british school type.

and to the guy who got rejected from pembroke....i got rejected too lol...but at least u have an open offer!

60-70% international students IIRC. UCL has significantly fewer, although it remains diverse on many fronts.
Reply 22
Knogle
60-70% international students IIRC. UCL has significantly fewer, although it remains diverse on many fronts.

UCL economics has a LOT of asians....apparently.
Reply 23
tkane
UCL economics has a LOT of asians....apparently.

No surprise there.. but again, I'm speaking generally. LSE is particularly renowned for its diversity in terms of nationality. :smile:
tkane
Now to LSE....I applied for Social Policy and Economics (Don't ask why...please...cos I can't answer you see :p: )

My application was obviously successful for phil+econ/PPE, so I'm kind of thinking that phil+econ at LSE would be more suited to me and my application. The only problem is....my application to study social policy+econ would be under full consideration right now....If I email and ask to be considered for phil+econ at this VERY late stage, will they just get "pissed off" and chuck my application in the bin, or will they be understanding and give me equal consideration?

They don't have to consider you for a different course, but I don't think they could reject you just for asking either, so you've got nothing to lose really. As Knogle said, the courses aren't that different and you don't want to end up doing a course you don't enjoy.

On the subject of GCSEs, there are lots of rumours that LSE care a lot about them and you need to have done brilliantly to get an offer, but equally there are quite a few stories of people with worse grades than abrp (who did very well) getting offers even for really competitive courses like law, so I think he should just go for it.
Reply 25
As far as I can tell, GCSEs particularly matter for L101. The rest, not so much. :smile:
abrp
congratulations...you managed to compensate for your GCSEs with a stronger all round application. i didnt :redface:

lol ok i dont think my international background helped, particularly as i never stated it in my PS
like the other person said, give it a try - you never know....my friend got into law with straight A's in gcse and a level...but she did alot of extra curricular (and shes non asian). but the activties part doesn't really count does it? well not alot?
like wouldnt they get sick of reading abt the millions of people who play football, the piano etc etc
wouldnt they only care if you did something unique, like play the tuba and got a pilots license?
I'm pretty sure all unis want from extra-curriculars is to see that you're a normal person who has a life outside of school. Besides that, they don't really care, unless they're relevant to the course you've applied for.

Latest

Trending

Trending