The Student Room Group

Part time work as a student

I've been thinking of getting a part time job for some extra money, as I'm in my first year of university and am basically just living off my university savings (in no danger of running out anytime soon, but I could still do with the extra money).

There is an issue with holidays though. I'm at university for a few months, and the Christmas and Easter holidays are both about a month each. Summer holidays are longer. I could do with a job, but I'd want to still be able to go home during the holiday periods, which may not be possible if I were to get a job.

Is there any way around this? I know of one person who works at Tesco and he just gets assigned to a different store when he goes home, which would be ideal for me. But I'm not sure how common this arrangement is, and I can't find any information about it.
Hey RFowler,

We are looking for people to help us out. We have just launched a game app called 1pGigTickets where players WIN tickets to music gigs and festivals for just 1p. The game is FREE to download and play and you can WIN gig tickets by playing a game. It's a very easy sell to students. Check the game out on the App Store (search 1pgigtickets)

We are looking for people to join our 1pGigTickets Street Team to help promote to students at universities around the country. You set your own hours (you are effectively self employed) and the more you put in the more you get out of it. We do have limited places at each university so be quick to sign up. You get paid for every download and registration of the game that you get.

You need to be bubbly, outgoing and able to start a conversation with almost anybody. If you want a job that's not stacking shelves, telesales or working at McDonalds (I've done that) then join our new, exciting and fun team.

Send me a message if you fancy it and want to hear some more.

Neil
Anyone? If I was to apply for a job, when and how would I bring this up? Would I contact them and ask before I applied, or would I raise it when drawing up the contract?
Original post by RFowler
Anyone? If I was to apply for a job, when and how would I bring this up? Would I contact them and ask before I applied, or would I raise it when drawing up the contract?

Well it'll be in your CV that your at uni. And if you were to get a job interview you could always mention that you'd be at your hometown store during the holidays but need to transfer to a store in your uni town?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RFowler

You like wildlife and stuff don't you?

I used to do casual ecological consultancy, which meant a few evenings a week looking for bats, and the odd full day looking for reptiles/surveying vegetation. Its pretty much the perfect student job because it is incredibly flexible and it pretty much shuts down over winter leaving you free to find a seasonal Christmas job at home.
Original post by ohhello92x
Well it'll be in your CV that your at uni. And if you were to get a job interview you could always mention that you'd be at your hometown store during the holidays but need to transfer to a store in your uni town?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just don't know when I would bring that up. Contact them before applying? During the interview? When drawing up the contract (assuming I get the job)?

I might go and ask the guy I know who has this arrangement how he got it the next time I run into him.

Original post by redferry
You like wildlife and stuff don't you?

I used to do casual ecological consultancy, which meant a few evenings a week looking for bats, and the odd full day looking for reptiles/surveying vegetation. Its pretty much the perfect student job because it is incredibly flexible and it pretty much shuts down over winter leaving you free to find a seasonal Christmas job at home.

If I was to go down that route, would I need a license or anything? The examples you mentioned don't, but other things might. Or do you just not do those things that require a license?

That sort of thing would be ideal, but I just don't know how I'd go about getting that sort of job.
Original post by RFowler
I just don't know when I would bring that up. Contact them before applying? During the interview? When drawing up the contract (assuming I get the job)?

I might go and ask the guy I know who has this arrangement how he got it the next time I run into him.

If I was to go down that route, would I need a license or anything? The examples you mentioned don't, but other things might. Or do you just not do those things that require a license?

That sort of thing would be ideal, but I just don't know how I'd go about getting that sort of job.

Often the larger consultancies have their own licences that cover all employees, I've done newt surveys under that sort of licence in the past before I got my own.
Original post by RFowler

Well you could always contact them before applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RFowler
I've been thinking of getting a part time job for some extra money, as I'm in my first year of university and am basically just living off my university savings (in no danger of running out anytime soon, but I could still do with the extra money).

There is an issue with holidays though. I'm at university for a few months, and the Christmas and Easter holidays are both about a month each. Summer holidays are longer. I could do with a job, but I'd want to still be able to go home during the holiday periods, which may not be possible if I were to get a job.

Is there any way around this? I know of one person who works at Tesco and he just gets assigned to a different store when he goes home, which would be ideal for me. But I'm not sure how common this arrangement is, and I can't find any information about it.

How about mcdonalds.
Ive worked there for 7 years, and we have had quite a few go to uni and still work at our store while at home from uni. Some of them have gone to work at different stores near their unis as well in term time. This arrangement is quite common at mcdonalds.
Reply 9
Original post by RFowler

I have had this problem myself, it can be hard as you aren't able to commit for long periods in the holiday time.
Working for a large company like Tesco, as you mention can be useful as you can be transferred between home and university stores. (Lots of companies are happy to do this).

I found this particularly helpful-
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15893-summer-job-guide-for-students

It gave me quite a few ideas for over the summer months and also when I have a few weeks off at christmas. It also talks about CV help that you were asking about.
Personally, working in hospitality as a waiter/waitress is great, because it is easy, good pay and can be flexible for working part time.
Hope this is the sort of info you are looking for? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending