The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Keble College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
JH08
I just had my letters through from Keble.

"For Home/EU undergraduates the Tuition Fee comprises the University Fee of £3,070 and the college fee of £4,820 per annum".

In addition, I will be paying £3,005 accommodation.

I had never heard of the "college fee £4,820" - will I really have to pay £10,895 a year?

Are you an overseas student outside the EU? If yes then you'll have to pay them. If you are not then you won't pay college fees provided you apply for government funding - that's why it's important to apply for financial support/student loans now even if you aren't thinking about taking up the loans themselves. I assume you've filled in the student loan form?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 61
F1 fanatic
Are you an overseas student outside the EU? If yes then you'll have to pay them. If you are not then you won't pay college fees provided you apply for government funding - that's why it's important to apply for financial support/student loans now even if you aren't thinking about taking up the loans themselves. I assume you've filled in the student loan form?

Yeah I sent off those forms a couple of days ago applying for the tuition fees loan and the maintenance loan. Is that sufficient?
Reply 62
JH08
Yeah I sent off those forms a couple of days ago applying for the tuition fees loan and the maintenance loan. Is that sufficient?

should be :smile:. Unless there's any major changes to the system, which Im 99% sure there isnt. College fees are paid on your behalf so you just have accommodation costs and tuition fees.
Reply 63
F1 fanatic
neh, it's easily affordable with student loans. The latest figures I have (for this year) are approx £2840 per year for Ensuite and £2530 for the really standard multi-shared bathrooms, so not too expensive in the grand scheme of things.

That is sooo cheap!
This year.
En-suite: £3005
Superior: £2840
Standard: £2600 (approx.)
Non-Stnadard: £2477
Reply 65
Had a walk round Keble today, seemed like such a great place. Hopefully if i can get my AS grades il be applying there
Got the accommodation perference form a couple days ago. just wonder which type of rooms is located in which buiding. Thx for help!!:confused:
Reply 67
house_white
Got the accommodation perference form a couple days ago. just wonder which type of rooms is located in which buiding. Thx for help!!:confused:

Ok, so Im assuming you have a basic knowledge of the college layout from interivews. The en-suite are mainly on the front quads - both Liddon and Pusey - ie the old parts of the college. Most the rooms fall into this category. The standard ones are also in these 2 quads, but are less common and tend to be the higher floor rooms that are out of the way at the top. There are also some en-suite rooms in the modern Sloane Robinson building at the back, where the theatre is.

The superior rooms are basically Hayward and De Brayne quads, the retro 70s ones at the back near the JCR/Bar etc.

Edit: as Im sure I've said before, En-suite = own bathroom (well obviously), superior is shared bathroom with 1 other person + fridge + sofa of sorts, standard is a bathroom/shower room shared between quite a few people. With fridges I believe they may be putting fridges in a lot of the older rooms for next year too, IIRC.
Phonetically, how do you pronounce "Pusey", as in Pusey Quad?
Reply 69
harrison247
Phonetically, how do you pronounce "Pusey", as in Pusey Quad?

pew-see :smile:
thanks - that will save me some embarassment
Reply 71
I still havent replied to the accomodation letter, and ahve lost the letter. Im I pretty much garuadnteed to get one of the few non ensuite rooms now? I cant get the mentality out of my head that i can just rock up at Keble and things will sort themselves out. Who should i get in touch with to ask for another?

Ive also not looked into actual Oxford bursuries or whatever, i got that finance letter through a few months back. I'm nearly done getting a government loan (which im also late in doing), do i need to start getting in touch with the college to sort out and money i can swindle off them too?
Reply 72
Consie
I still havent replied to the accomodation letter, and ahve lost the letter. Im I pretty much garuadnteed to get one of the few non ensuite rooms now? I cant get the mentality out of my head that i can just rock up at Keble and things will sort themselves out. Who should i get in touch with to ask for another?

Ive also not looked into actual Oxford bursuries or whatever, i got that finance letter through a few months back. I'm nearly done getting a government loan (which im also late in doing), do i need to start getting in touch with the college to sort out and money i can swindle off them too?

It depends on the uptake, you're probably ok for non-en-suite (they're not that popular), but you do need to reply in some way or other, even if it's just by email. Get in tough with the admissions office at Keble, and they'll be able to provide you with another letter or alternative means of making your choice.

As for bursaries, they'll let you know as and when you need to do that kind of thing. You shouldn't have to chase around for it.

Edit: in fact, as I recall there is a thing on the student loan form where you sign to allow the university to review your financial situation as submitted to the SLC, and decide whether you are eligible for bursaries from Oxford.
Reply 73
so you think i have no chance of getting an ensuite by now?

will have to finish that tonight then.
Reply 74
Consie
so you think i have no chance of getting an ensuite by now?

will have to finish that tonight then.

sorry, I misread your post. I thought you wanted non-ensuite. You should be ok for en-suite too, Keble has so many of them. It just depends really. The sooner you get it sorted the better chance you stand though.
F1 fanatic
sorry, I misread your post. I thought you wanted non-ensuite. You should be ok for en-suite too, Keble has so many of them. It just depends really. The sooner you get it sorted the better chance you stand though.

Is it 1st come first served? I thought they just did a ballot for the remaining en-suite rooms once the second and third years had been taken, and after exam results when they know for shizzle who's coming!?
Reply 76
jack_sparrow
Is it 1st come first served? I thought they just did a ballot for the remaining en-suite rooms once the second and third years had been taken, and after exam results when they know for shizzle who's coming!?

to be honest I have no idea. However, I suspect that they expect people to get in and so are likely to do it in advance with the assumption you will get in. I know that when I got my open offer place, the room I got was the one that whoever I replaced had chosen. I got no choice myself. I think the sooner you get it sorted and out the way the better anyhow, with so many en-suite rooms the majority are not disappointed.

I'm not sure it's entirely balloted, since there seems to be too much structure for it to be random. They tend to make sure that there's someone from your subject fairly close if possible, in my experience.
I hope I get an en-suite, not becuase I care about sharing with other people, just because it's that little bit further to walk from bed to shower if i don't. Do a lot of people opt for the superior rooms to save cash?
Reply 78
jack_sparrow
I hope I get an en-suite, not becuase I care about sharing with other people, just because it's that little bit further to walk from bed to shower if i don't. Do a lot of people opt for the superior rooms to save cash?

some do yes, they're not bad rooms actually. I lived in those rooms for 2 years. They're more airy than the older en-suite ones, bigger desk, newer and with a sofa (of sorts). It's all good.
Reply 79
i think "of sorts" is definitely the way to describe that sofa. although i think the best sofa was the one in the room above - fond memories :p: (two words - crew date)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending