The Student Room Group

How rare is it to get 4 A's as AS level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peppercrunch
My parents think 4B's is amazing. I'm only aiming for AABB, as next year, my course only requires AAB.

I wish I had your parents ha ha, my parents basically tell me if I get a B in a subject I am a failure (which is complete crap, just because I dont like economics).
Original post by Gaiaphage
There are lots of myths about Cambridge admissions but the vast majority aren't true... At the open days they regularly say you will have a chance as long as you get 80%+ average (ie. 4 As at AS) but to be in with a real chance you need 85+. A good interview and admissions test will easily make up for them despite having no extenuating circumstances (speaking from experience)

I feel like you may be an exception but maybe it depends on the subject? My experience is of maths and nat sci where I know people who did not get an interview because their UMS was sub 90, and the only people who did had UMS 92+ average.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I feel like you may be an exception but maybe it depends on the subject? My experience is of maths and nat sci where I know people who did not get an interview because their UMS was sub 90, and the only people who did had UMS 92+ average.

You may well be right about exceptions but it's definitely true that many people get in with 85% - a number of them spoke at the open day I went to!

Maths is perhaps an exception as a subject because they give double the number of offers as places, so they can easily pick the very very best and I definitely have respect for anyone who takes a maths place.

I go to a private school and got an offer for medicine so I'm hardly the inner-city-theology candidate that could get in with 70% :colondollar:
Original post by DRR Lumberjack
The thing is, everyone gets lazy when they start college, they love the new found freedom and teachers not caring if they spend 2 hours a day revising from day one. That's why most people don't get 4 A's. If everyone studied for 30 minutes or 1 hour a day, i'd say like 20% would get 4 A's.

I do that and I have to still work so hard to get a B.
turds! did not realize universities checked UMS! Good job i decided i want to study art over academic at uni :eek:
Original post by Slimewizard
turds! did not realize universities checked UMS! Good job i decided i want to study art over academic at uni :eek:

Only Cambridge and UCL that I know of, I don't think any others do
I got 3As and a B at AS (B was 9 UMS off an A), but again depends on school, and subjects taken.

Quick Reply

Latest