The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Merton College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Aw, I thought this was about Paul Merton. Darn.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 181
I looked around on Friday with my school and totally fell in love with the place! It was totally stunning and much less imposing than some of the larger ones. The guy we spoke to was lovely and said that the reputation is totally unfounded. I'm definitely applying there!
Reply 182
Thanks everyone, mixed replies but then I suppose thats what you get when its about a rumor because everyone hears and sees differently.
Thanks Henryt, it was really nice to hear from a Mertonian's pov.

Swayum
On the subject of applying to Merton, I hope the OP finds this relevant, are you at a significant disadvantage if you apply to Merton because they only take a very small number of undergraduates per year? I know there's a weird type of pooling system in place at Oxford, but still.

What would put me at a disadvantage given the small acceptance?
I have good GCSEs, if thats the thing.

x
Reply 183
henryt
As for horror stories about people being kicked out for doing badly in Collections or Mods or whatever, they're largely unfounded. In fact, Merton is one of the most lenient colleges, as far as I can see, in that respect. A girl in the year above me doing Maths got a Pass in Mods, and college were really lovely about it. They said that she could take a year out, and reapply for another course at Merton, and continue doing Maths if she was unsuccessful, or just continue with the course as normal. My tutors were much more concerned at tackling the problem, rather than kicking her out to keep rankings high, as some of the other colleges may well have done.

eeerrrmmm... I think at most colleges (or at least my own) there would be absolutely no consequences for someone who only passed their mods. I think it says something about Merton that you thought they were being leniant by allowing her to stay. The policy at my own college is that all you have to do is pass and even if you fail mods/prelims you get a chance to resit.
Introspectre
Aw, I thought this was about Paul Merton. Darn.

Me too :sad:
Reply 185
martin101
Wait, she got a pass in mods, and that was grounds to make her reapply? Medic exams are different to mods so I dont quite know the score, but from what Id heard I thought mods were just a hoop to jump through and the vast majority just pass the things.

A pass as in not-a-3rd, but more than 30% presumably.

While many colleges are fine with that, there are plenty that throw people out for much less. A friend at St. Hugh's got rusticated for a year with I think an ok 2:1 because it wasn't a 65, and I've heard enough horror stories about LMH not even letting people take the Prelims resits to last me a lifetime.

Swayum

On the subject of applying to Merton, I hope the OP finds this relevant, are you at a significant disadvantage if you apply to Merton because they only take a very small number of undergraduates per year? .

Since when is 90 per year very small? Even somewhere like St. Catz only has about 130...
Reply 186
martin101
Wait, she got a pass in mods, and that was grounds to make her reapply? Medic exams are different to mods so I dont quite know the score, but from what Id heard I thought mods were just a hoop to jump through and the vast majority just pass the things.

Oh, no. They gave her the option of reapplying for another course, as they guessed that she might want to switch course (which she did!). She was free to continue with the Maths course if she wanted, regardless of whether she took the year out, or whether the reapplication was successful or not.

Culnamo
eeerrrmmm... I think at most colleges (or at least my own) there would be absolutely no consequences for someone who only passed their mods. I think it says something about Merton that you thought they were being leniant by allowing her to stay. The policy at my own college is that all you have to do is pass and even if you fail mods/prelims you get a chance to resit.

I wrote it so as to dispel the myth, so I used 'lovely' in the sense that 'Look, Merton aren't being horrible as you'd expect', rather than 'I think it's really nice of Merton to be so lenient.' That probably wasn't at all clear... Sorry...!
Anyway, the bottom line is that there are no implications if you fail Prelims/Mods, or get just a Pass in Mods, or whatever, regardless of 'what it says' about Merton. As Bekaboo has said, people have been rusticated and not allowed to resit prelims, at other colleges, in similar situations.

I was also helping with the Open Days, if any of you remember a slightly excitable dark-haired Mathematician...!
Reply 187
henryt

I was also helping with the Open Days, if any of you remember a slightly excitable dark-haired Mathematician...!

oh... i remember you :biggrin:... henry, of course, by slightly excitable u mean very enthusiastic...

i went on thursday morning for physics, hope you remember me, i asked you where the toilet was after the brief tour with you two and you pointed it out to me, its like a maze btw.
Reply 188
Jiajun
oh... i remember you :biggrin:... henry, of course, by slightly excitable u mean very enthusiastic...

i went on thursday morning for physics, hope you remember me, i asked you where the toilet was after the brief tour with you two and you pointed it out to me, its like a maze btw.

Oh - yes! I remember you! Do you think we've persuaded you to apply? :p:
Reply 189
henryt

You weren't helping out at interviews last December, were you? I saw someone on the "these are the interview helper people" sheet and thought "he's from TSR"...it might have been you.
Reply 190
rkd
You weren't helping out at interviews last December, were you? I saw someone on the "these are the interview helper people" sheet and thought "he's from TSR"...it might have been you.

Yes! I was helping primarily with Maths people, though I did play a large amount of Monopoly and Giant Jenga!!

I love Giant Jenga :teeth:
henryt
Yes! I was helping primarily with Maths people, though I did play a large amount of Monopoly and Giant Jenga!!

You showed me to my room and we talked about vegetables :biggrin:
Reply 193
sugar_cane
You showed me to my room and we talked about vegetables :biggrin:

Hehe - yes. Our veggy patch supplies many many courgettes and purple potatoes for our consumption in Hall. I also think we own some pea farms somewhere...
Reply 194
henryt
Oh - yes! I remember you! Do you think we've persuaded you to apply? :p:

its actually after the tour of Merton i came to realise the extreme academic rigour of the college thanks to some rather fearsome physicists on TSR, (You gave me an impression that Merton is quite laid back, which im sure is partly true:biggrin:)they said 'Merton only want te best, top of Nott-erm- table, ppl generally work hard, physics tutors at Merton are beast, in a good way obviously:biggrin:, 60% of physicist there get first degree compared to 20% at other college'

this initially deterred me a little as i thought if im going to apply to Ox, Merton will be the one, but looking at the whole picture, it seems i have a better chance applying elsewhere as the tutors seeks the best physicists, of which i dont really think i am.

but, oh well, who doesnt love pressure?:rolleyes: if i decide to apply to ox, its Merton baby!!:biggrin:
I tried to forget about the Norrington table and Merton's stereotype when I applied. I figured that I'd feel more comfortable staying at a college and sitting interviews in a place I loved rather than a college I chose because I tried to "play the statistics". :smile:
Just to second henryt - doing well in the Norrington Table doesn't make Merton a bad place to be. Some people at other colleges seem to assume that Merton's finals results could only have been achieved either by everyone there being really boring and/or competetive to start off with, or by college cracking the whip until we all submit to life as academic hermits.

In fact, lots of people at Merton didn't know about its reputation before they applied, and chose it for totally arbitrary reasons like good food or location (I have to admit I was slightly swayed by the cobbles...) - so none of them arrive with a burning desire to tread the competition underfoot and give up life outside the library. More than one person in my year failed their Mods/Prelims, and college let them resit without any problem. I can't speak for every subject, but the English tutors never put pressure on us about results, and were always understanding if people had problems with work.

The only evidence I saw of a push for good exam results was the number of revision classes we were given in Trinity (I am a finalist, currently having a mental breakdown waiting for results to come out). They were all optional though, and we were very very grateful that we had so much help from our tutors when we wanted it. What's more, they were constantly telling us to make sure we took time off to relax and have fun - somehow, being advised to go for a 'jolly' walk to the Trout for lunch because it was such a nice day, 3 days before our first exam, didn't strike me as fitting with the Merton stereotype. But that's not really surprising, because I've always thought the stereotype was rubbish.

Also, the success rate of applicants to Merton is no different to that at any other college - only Magdalen, that I know of, has significantly more applicants per place than anywhere else.

Henry, I suppose you have guessed who I am pretty easily...
Reply 197
faerie queene
Just to second henryt - doing well in the Norrington Table doesn't make Merton a bad place to be. Some people at other colleges seem to assume that Merton's finals results could only have been achieved either by everyone there being really boring and/or competetive to start off with, or by college cracking the whip until we all submit to life as academic hermits.

In fact, lots of people at Merton didn't know about its reputation before they applied, and chose it for totally arbitrary reasons like good food or location (I have to admit I was slightly swayed by the cobbles...) - so none of them arrive with a burning desire to tread the competition underfoot and give up life outside the library. More than one person in my year failed their Mods/Prelims, and college let them resit without any problem. I can't speak for every subject, but the English tutors never put pressure on us about results, and were always understanding if people had problems with work.

The only evidence I saw of a push for good exam results was the number of revision classes we were given in Trinity (I am a finalist, currently having a mental breakdown waiting for results to come out). They were all optional though, and we were very very grateful that we had so much help from our tutors when we wanted it. What's more, they were constantly telling us to make sure we took time off to relax and have fun - somehow, being advised to go for a 'jolly' walk to the Trout for lunch because it was such a nice day, 3 days before our first exam, didn't strike me as fitting with the Merton stereotype. But that's not really surprising, because I've always thought the stereotype was rubbish.

Also, the success rate of applicants to Merton is no different to that at any other college - only Magdalen, that I know of, has significantly more applicants per place than anywhere else.

Henry, I suppose you have guessed who I am pretty easily...

arrh... if thats true, then logically it means Merton does pick people with the best mental ability and higher than other-ox-college-standard intellectual level since they are doing so well without having to do insane amount of workload... having said that... i dont think i am that good, so, yeah, i feel im less likely to get into Ox by applying at Merton...

is there any physicy stuff i could look at beforehand, and prepare myself? to get my brain working at optimum condition?? im not that sure whether to apply to ox or cam anyway... so, :confused: :confused:
Jiajun
im not that sure whether to apply to ox or cam anyway... so, :confused: :confused:

There's no question about it! It's gotta be Oxford and it's gotta be Merton! :biggrin: Don't be put off applying to Merton because of its Norrington table results. I'm sure that your chance of success is pretty much equal no matter which college you apply to. Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:
Does anyone know what the postgrad accommodation's like at Merton? Is it close to the college? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending