The Student Room Group

English lit GCSE poetry unit 2 exam 22nd of May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone remember the first question word for word on the conflict section? Because I thought it said "Describe how the poets use ideas of conflict in Mametz Wood and one other", but apparently I misread it and place was involved??
I mentioned nothing on place, so any idea how badly this will affect my mark, because I'm meant to be getting an A* :s-smilie: HELP! I'm panicking! D:
Original post by AmieH
I compared the Manhunt to Ghazal and I thought I did it well but nobody else in my school did these two, they all did In Paris With You, Quickdraw and the Farmer's Bride and now I'm really scared
thats fine, i see where you're coming from as a ghazal is from the point of the unsatisfied lover. if anything your poem choice should better your mark as not many people will get the same points as you.
Original post by Lucy99needshelp
Can anyone remember the first question word for word on the conflict section? Because I thought it said "Describe how the poets use ideas of conflict in Mametz Wood and one other", but apparently I misread it and place was involved??
I mentioned nothing on place, so any idea how badly this will affect my mark, because I'm meant to be getting an A* :s-smilie: HELP! I'm panicking! D:

Did you write about:
*The poems' literal meaning.
*Deeper meaning
*Language, form and structure?
*...Other interpretations?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Lil-rascal
thats fine, i see where you're coming from as a ghazal is from the point of the unsatisfied lover. if anything your poem choice should better your mark as not many people will get the same points as you.

Ah thankyou! I hope it will be alright, they seem to go well together, but i just don't know if AQA will consider Ghazal as a damaged relationship - I compared them by saying that Ghazal is damaging and unhealthy, whereas Manhunt is already damaged, and that both speakers will do anything for their lover
Original post by OliwierEB
Did you write about:
*The poem's literal meaning.
*Deeper meaning
*Language, form and structure?
*...Other interpretations?

Sure, I analysed the hell out of it and compared it to Falling Leaves- it wasn't a bad effort, really. But if I haven't answered the question fully I can see that being a big problem... :s-smilie:
Did it involve place?
I compared Brendon Gallagher to Horse whisperer but no one else did, am I f***ed
Reply 66
I did exactly the same, didn't read the bit about place... Hopefully it will be ok!
Original post by AmieH
Ah thankyou! I hope it will be alright, they seem to go well together, but i just don't know if AQA will consider Ghazal as a damaged relationship - I compared them by saying that Ghazal is damaging and unhealthy, whereas Manhunt is already damaged, and that both speakers will do anything for their lover
as long as it links to the question and you've stuck in a quote to support it i dont see why your points cant be considered. literature is about interpretation. i did manhunt and in paris.
Original post by JamesPhilly
I compared Medusa to My Last Duchess but linked my points to pride, will this be okay?

I did that too! I'm quite relieved to have found someone else, as I only managed to find 2 other people in my year who chose that too :frown: however, despite maybe choosing Medusa for the wrong reasons (it was the poem we covered most in class) I actually feel like I found a lot of valid interpretations within comparisms of the two texts. I don't know about you but I talked about how the Duke and "Medusa" both have pride in the aesthetic values of their partners, but while the Duke's pride in his name prevents him from truly loving his wife (because he is paranoid of how her imperfections look to society), Medusa throws her pride away to accept herself as a monstrosity and persue revenge on her lover for his betrayal.

Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent! No matter which poems you chose (unless they are wildly unsuitable, which Medusa is not, as it deals with pride) it is the validity of your interpretations which is assessed, so if you feel like you wrote good, solid interpretations, you should get the grade you deserve :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by ordellaragel
what did u say though??????????

I talked about how the hunchbacks dreams are less likely to happen because of his disability and situation where as the Persona in BG is more able to achieve her dreams in the near future.. I also talked about the use of childlike language and nature both poems use which could portray their dreams and hopes..do u think that's okay?? I always feel like my interpretations are different to most people :s-smilie:
Reply 70
Original post by chloeallatt
I compared The Manhunt to The Farmer's Bride... No one else seems to have:frown:????

I do character and voice so I'm not the most expert, but honestly I don't think it matters..if you managed to write a lot about it and include interpretations that linked to the question, you can't go wrong..poetry is a very personal thing and the examiner understands this
Sure, I analysed the hell out of it and compared it to Falling Leaves- it wasn't a bad effort, really. But if I haven't answered the question fully I can see that being a big problem... :s-smilie:
Did it involve place?

I'm not sure; I compared ''Sister Maude'' with ''Brothers''; what I do know is that with every poem comparison there is a theme, eg. I had ''Trust''.
Original post by _maturzio
I compared Brendon Gallagher to Horse whisperer but no one else did, am I f***ed

I really wanted to do this but couldn't find a way to link both poems to hopes and dreams. What did you write? :biggrin:
Original post by ozmo19
I compared The Manhunt with Quickdraw

I talked about ambiguity at the end. She was continuing her idea that love prevails or possibly indicated her feelings that there is no hope in love because "prospect of forever" was like a marriage proposal and the word "crude" and the negative language throughout suggest the idea that she turned him down and broke up.

I wrote 4 and a half sides for seen and 2 and a half for unseen

woah!!! how did you write so much i wrote like a side and a quarter for seen and a side for unseen
Original post by chloeallatt
I compared The Manhunt to The Farmer's Bride... No one else seems to have:frown:????

don't worry all my friends did manhunt and farmers bride and my teachers was telling them that what they said they wrote sounds really good! :smile:
I compared The Manhunt with In paris with you, i talked about how the man hunt and in paris had similar structure in the sense that there was distance between the staznzas, giving an impression that theres a fractured relationship, tbh, i said a load of crap that sounded good and acc made sense xD fingers cross, this went 10times better that Lit unit 1
Original post by _ariane29
I really wanted to do this but couldn't find a way to link both poems to hopes and dreams. What did you write? :biggrin:

I wrote that the dream is brendon Gallagher himself as he's made up (like a dream) so in a hope to preserve this dream Kay names the poem after him which gives him and the dream a eternal life inside the poem. But in the horse whisperer the title represents how the past has changed him and his hopes to regain his respected past which to him was dream in itself.

I went very left field so I'm not sure it'll do
Original post by OliwierEB
I'm not sure; I compared ''Sister Maude'' with ''Brothers''; what I do know is that with every poem comparison there is a theme, eg. I had ''Trust''.

Ah, ok, you don't do the conflict poems. Never mind, I analysed it, so I should get some marks for my comments on language and structure. I just made my theme a little more generic...:tongue:
Thanks anyway! :smile:

That's really weird. I did the same and nearly everyone I've talked to missed out the bit about place in that question. But luckily I mentioned place in quite a lot of detail as I compared it with at the border. But with regards to you, I would say that with a good unseen poem you may be sitting on 35-38/40 maybe which will undoubtably be an a or a* but that's so strange that around 70% of the people I've spoken to have made the same mistake
Reply 79
I compared manhunt and nettles it that weird

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending