The Student Room Group

Feeling Guilty

One of my closest friends likes me, and I don't reciprocate these feelings, which he knows.

However, he always says things like 'if I found out that you got with/slept with someone else I would never speak to you again and block you out of my life' and I don't want to lose him as a friend obviously. However, now whenever I talk to a guy or feel like I might potentially like them, I just feel super guilty...

I mean I know his attitude about this isn't great, however, he and I have been through a lot so I don't think i'm ready to lose our friendship.

Any suggestions?
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't have a suggestion but I do know what you shouldn't do. DO NOT pity date your friend unless you might actually like him (which you don't in this case) because then your friendship will definitely be destroyed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deagdavies
One of my closest friends likes me, and I don't reciprocate these feelings, which he knows.

However, he always says things like 'if I found out that you got with/slept with someone else I would never speak to you again and block you out of my life' and I don't want to lose him as a friend obviously. However, now whenever I talk to a guy or feel like I might potentially like them, I just feel super guilty...

I mean I know his attitude about this isn't great, however, he and I have been through a lot so I don't think i'm ready to lose our friendship.

Any suggestions?

Personally, I think he is being extremely unfair - you shouldn't be made to feel guilty when you've done nothing wrong. In my opinion, you should tell him that it's none of his business who you're talking to/dating/sleeping with. If he has a problem with that then he's really not worth your time.
Reply 3
Original post by Bucky Barnes
Personally, I think he is being extremely unfair - you shouldn't be made to feel guilty when you've done nothing wrong. In my opinion, you should tell him that it's none of his business who you're talking to/dating/sleeping with. If he has a problem with that then he's really not worth your time.

I've tried but it just ends up in a massive argument... it's not fair because he can do whatever he likes and I'm left feeling like I'm gonna lose his friendship at any moment. But I mean, I feel like it's not so easy to drop our friendship because he knows so many personal things that other people don't know and he's been there in really crucial times. Ahhh
He isn't your friend if your friendship is conditional on you not being with other people. That just makes him a control freak who can't get over himself.

You have to have more vision here. Short term, it sucks to cut off a friend because it's a pain and it doesn't feel nice. But long term you gain from this because you don't have some toxic person lingering around who makes you feel guilty and emotionally blackmails you.

It may seem like an obvious statement; but you shouldn't be friends with people who aren't nice to you.
It's wrong of him to try to guilt trip you into not seeing other people. If anything, it might be good for him if you saw other people because if you never date anyone he may still be holding out hope that you will fall for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He isn't really a true friend if he emotionally blackmails you. You honestly shouldn't be made to feel guilty for talking/dating/sleeping with other people. He should respect that you don't have the same feelings as him and he should leave it at that.

Hopefully he'll get the message soon and I hope you find a way to get through to him soon. It's your love life, not his :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know how personal the things he knows about you are, but you should be done with him. There's no point holding onto the past of a relationship if it's not doing you any favours in the present.

It's sad to see that he's made you feel a certain way when interacting with other people - he has no right to do that and you should have left as soon he said that. I think you'll feel a lot better when you get rid of him and whatever he knows about you and the risk of that being put out there is better than going on as you are now.
Reply 8
Original post by Llewellyn
He isn't your friend if your friendship is conditional on you not being with other people. That just makes him a control freak who can't get over himself.

You have to have more vision here. Short term, it sucks to cut off a friend because it's a pain and it doesn't feel nice. But long term you gain from this because you don't have some toxic person lingering around who makes you feel guilty and emotionally blackmails you.

It may seem like an obvious statement; but you shouldn't be friends with people who aren't nice to you.

Original post by LiquidGold
It's wrong of him to try to guilt trip you into not seeing other people. If anything, it might be good for him if you saw other people because if you never date anyone he may still be holding out hope that you will fall for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ohhello92x
He isn't really a true friend if he emotionally blackmails you. You honestly shouldn't be made to feel guilty for talking/dating/sleeping with other people. He should respect that you don't have the same feelings as him and he should leave it at that.

Hopefully he'll get the message soon and I hope you find a way to get through to him soon. It's your love life, not his :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by SeanFM
I don't know how personal the things he knows about you are, but you should be done with him. There's no point holding onto the past of a relationship if it's not doing you any favours in the present.

It's sad to see that he's made you feel a certain way when interacting with other people - he has no right to do that and you should have left as soon he said that. I think you'll feel a lot better when you get rid of him and whatever he knows about you and the risk of that being put out there is better than going on as you are now.

Thanks for all the advice! But I just don't really know how to go about it, I don't think I'd be able to just not speak to him and ignore his texts etc. I mean, I wouldn't be able to just drop a friend like that, especially one that's been there for 6 years of my life in which time a lot of things have happened... How do I perhaps distance myself from him?
Thanks for all the advice! But I just don't really know how to go about it, I don't think I'd be able to just not speak to him and ignore his texts etc. I mean, I wouldn't be able to just drop a friend like that, especially one that's been there for 6 years of my life in which time a lot of things have happened... How do I perhaps distance myself from him?

I'd be willing to bet that, if you distanced yourself, he'd only bug you more. He'll want to know what you're doing, why you're not talking to him as much, whether there's a guy in your life...

I know it seems difficult and impractical to cut him out completely, but it has to be done. If you block his phone number you won't see his texts, if you're worried about that.

Any suggestions?

Well he did guilt trip you.

I suggest you tell him to just deal with it. If he doesn't, just remove him your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending