The Student Room Group

Inclined to drop out of uni after two years, but not sure if its wise!

Hi everyone,
I don't usually use this site so sorry if I don't make myself clear or something. Basically I have completed two years of my uni course and am unsure as to whether or not I should continue. I don't enjoy the course whatsoever, am not getting good results (awaiting exam results for this year, but overall on a high-ish 2:2).
I feel as though my lack of passion for the subject (politics) and an attitude of complacency since joining uni have stopped me from achieving what I know I am capable of. I would like to swap to French, as I have always loved learning languages - did french and german A-levels. The only reason I didnt choose them at uni was because I underestimated how far they can actually get people career-wise.

I was convinced by family and the university to remain on this course at the end of first year when I first spoke about dropping out, and now regret having bowed down to pressure. It is my uni life and I don't want to waste it.

I would like to know, if i did drop out now:

1. What is the likelihood that unis would accept me with 'drop out' on my record? and how could I boost my chances of being accepted a second time.

2. What are the financial implications. I have heard from numerous sources that I would have to fund my first year of the new course myself if I got on, which Im cool with, as I have a part-time job and can save over the year I would need to take out but do I need to pay back anything immediately if I drop out, having completed two years?

Thank you very much!
Original post by Guerrero54
Hi everyone,
I don't usually use this site so sorry if I don't make myself clear or something. Basically I have completed two years of my uni course and am unsure as to whether or not I should continue. I don't enjoy the course whatsoever, am not getting good results (awaiting exam results for this year, but overall on a high-ish 2:2).
I feel as though my lack of passion for the subject (politics) and an attitude of complacency since joining uni have stopped me from achieving what I know I am capable of. I would like to swap to French, as I have always loved learning languages - did french and german A-levels. The only reason I didnt choose them at uni was because I underestimated how far they can actually get people career-wise.

I was convinced by family and the university to remain on this course at the end of first year when I first spoke about dropping out, and now regret having bowed down to pressure. It is my uni life and I don't want to waste it.

I would like to know, if i did drop out now:

1. What is the likelihood that unis would accept me with 'drop out' on my record? and how could I boost my chances of being accepted a second time.

2. What are the financial implications. I have heard from numerous sources that I would have to fund my first year of the new course myself if I got on, which Im cool with, as I have a part-time job and can save over the year I would need to take out but do I need to pay back anything immediately if I drop out, having completed two years?

Thank you very much!

Hey,

I don't think dropping out necessarily has to be a bad thing. I know it's a little different but... my boyfriend studied sciences and Spanish at A Level and was told at one university (poss Bham?) that that was actually an advantage for him applying as it showed he was really committed to doing languages... as opposed to a student who did all languages/humanities A Level where a languages degree was more of a natural progression/logical next stop regardless of commitment.

Just make sure you discuss it in your personal statement and have good reasons for switching to French (so the usual French books, films, TV, exchanges etc.) That way it doesn't come across like "oh i got bored of Politics so meh French, why not?!" And you can mention wanting to drop out at the end of first year and bowing to the pressure - spin it so your focus is on the fact that you've known for a while that French was what you wanted - it's not just a random decision after getting your second year marks back!

Also you could try spend some time in France during your year out - one concern might be that you'll have forgotten a lot since A Level.

In terms of Finances, as far as i know, if you've completed your second year you shouldn't need to repay. But yes you will more than likely need to fund your first year. My uni advise that the formula is:
ordinary length of new course + additional year - previous study = remaining entitlement

So for a 4 year languages degree: 4 + 1 - 2 = 3 years funding.

I'd say your main struggle there is going to be the tuition fees as £9000 is a helluva lot of money to try save up. And it does seem that it's the first year you fund, and then the subsequent 3 years get SFE funding, which is a bit of the shame when the Year Abroad tuition fees are so much lower!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Hey there! I am quite intrigued about this too because I am in your exact situation although I do dual honours with a language, but I've lost all my passion for economics so would rather do a purely language degree, but I don't know about the finances. It's been bugging me, but now I'm due to be going on my year abroad so if I pass this year I won't drop out, but it's certainly proving to be stressful. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending