The Student Room Group

Applying again for vet med after not getting offers

I'm taking a year out, I didn't get any offers this year. Just wondering, my GCSEs weren't great, I was sick during them (5A 4B 1C) if I get AAA (bio chem eng lit) at a-level do you think they'll overlook my GCSEs? I have 11 weeks w.e and will be getting more over my gap year.
Original post by Niamhmca
I'm taking a year out, I didn't get any offers this year. Just wondering, my GCSEs weren't great, I was sick during them (5A 4B 1C) if I get AAA (bio chem eng lit) at a-level do you think they'll overlook my GCSEs? I have 11 weeks w.e and will be getting more over my gap year.

Most Unis will consider what are called Mitigating/Extenuating Circumstances that might have had an impact on grades. However, for something as competitive as Vet, they will not excuse poor grades in vital subjects like Maths, English or Science, and remember that many Unis expect at least 6 A grades at GSCE minimum. You need to contact each Uni you intend to apply to to find out what their policy and their procedure is (ie. forms to fill in, and supporting evidence etc)

It depends on what your GCSEs grades are in. You need 5 a's for all the universities and at least a b in English maths and science (this was when I applied in 2014, so as Sydney bridge said I presume it's changed to 6 now)
I was also I'll during my GCSEs which meant I only got 4 A's instead of 5. I emailed each of the universities informing them of my situation at the time and Nottingham and Liverpool asked for a doctors letter as proof. I don't know about the other universities as when I applied to Edinburgh and Bristol I had a degree by that stage.
I was told by Surrey that because I didn't have the correct GCSEs, despite my degree they wouldn't look at my application at all and that I would be rejected immediately so I didn't bother applying there.
Best option is to email each of the universities and tell them about your situation and they will advise you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lizziefickling
It depends on what your GCSEs grades are in. You need 5 a's for all the universities and at least a b in English maths and science (this was when I applied in 2014, so as Sydney bridge said I presume it's changed to 6 now)
I was also I'll during my GCSEs which meant I only got 4 A's instead of 5. I emailed each of the universities informing them of my situation at the time and Nottingham and Liverpool asked for a doctors letter as proof. I don't know about the other universities as when I applied to Edinburgh and Bristol I had a degree by that stage.
I was told by Surrey that because I didn't have the correct GCSEs, despite my degree they wouldn't look at my application at all and that I would be rejected immediately so I didn't bother applying there.
Best option is to email each of the universities and tell them about your situation and they will advise you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My As are in English lit, english lang, maths, bio and religion and my Bs are in chem, physics, geography and ict.

What time during your application did you email and which unis gave you offers? I know my doctor will give me a note so I'll do that, thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
My As are in English lit, english lang, maths, bio and religion and my Bs are in chem, physics, geography and ict.

What time during your application did you email and which unis gave you offers? I know my doctor will give me a note so I'll do that, thanks :smile:

Theoretically you should be fine then with a doctors letter.
I emailed them before I sent off my application through ucas so before the deadline, you could email them about now and it gives you plenty of time. As I said Surrey told me no, whether I had a letter or not so I didn't bother with them.
When I applied the first time I had an interview at Nottingham, but I failed that miserably ha!
Second time I applied I had an interview at Liverpool, I wasn't confident enough so didn't get a place.
Third time I had interviews at both Liverpool and Bristol, got an offer from Liverpool and that is where I currently am now!

Just so you know my GCSEs were:
A*A - English lit and English language
A* - ICT
A- music
BB- double award science
B - French
B- maths
B- graphics

And the rest of mine were C's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Lizziefickling
Theoretically you should be fine then with a doctors letter.
I emailed them before I sent off my application through ucas so before the deadline, you could email them about now and it gives you plenty of time. As I said Surrey told me no, whether I had a letter or not so I didn't bother with them.
When I applied the first time I had an interview at Nottingham, but I failed that miserably ha!
Second time I applied I had an interview at Liverpool, I wasn't confident enough so didn't get a place.
Third time I had interviews at both Liverpool and Bristol, got an offer from Liverpool and that is where I currently am now!

Just so you know my GCSEs were:
A*A - English lit and English language
A* - ICT
A- music
BB- double award science
B - French
B- maths
B- graphics

And the rest of mine were C's

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is really reassuring, thank you :smile:

I got 1A* 3A 5B 1D at GCSE.. First application I got no offers, I also didn't do very well in A-Level (BBB). This year I'm retaking and I got two offers from RVC and Liverpool, and an unconditional for gateway at RVC. I have no mitigating circumstances for either gcse and a-level. It's very possible, you won't just be disregarded by unis because of your gcses. I know if you have a good bmat it can compensate for low gcses at rvc, and some of the other Unis only ask for minimum GCSEs and don't use them competitively (Liverpool do this for sure). Bottom line, if you have the minimums and make sure you're strong in other areas of your application you should be fine. Good luck!
If you are taking a year out it is worth you retaking GCSEs to get the missing grades. Check all the Uni's individual GCSE requirements - most want at least 6 A grades including English and Maths.

Whilst Unis will accept Mitigating Circumstances for A levels, they wont be so keen on doing this for GCSEs - simply because you should have retaken them alongside your A levels to improve your grades. Vet is competitive and without the right grades your application is highly unlikely to get anywhere near interview stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending