The Student Room Group

Is £50 a lot too you

My mums on benefits and she says £50 is a lot of money I think it's normal amount I don't think it's too much

Scroll to see replies

It's a lot of money if you don't have it, and not that much if you do.
I can get through £200 a week (18, live at home. have no expenses) because i'm incredibly reckless with money and like to go out every day if i can :/
I have friends that spend more than £50 every time we go out.
It doesn't go very far because of the things i want to do...
I wish i could appreciate it more so it's good that you do, less likely to end up in debt in the future.
I'd rather have £50 than not have £50, put it that way.
Reply 4
£50 is two weeks food shopping for me. If you don't have a lot of disposal income then £50 is quite an important sum of money.

Roughly a day's wage on minimum wage.
you can do quite a lot with £50
Reply 6
50 pounds is my pocket money for a month
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
you can do quite a lot with £50

True
For me that is a months transport :tongue:
Loving the 16+ oyster cards :tongue:

Also can buy 10 footlongs from subway
Reply 8
Original post by SiminaM
50 pounds is my pocket money for a month

Wow
The strugle is real
my pocket money per month is £120 woo
End up saving half of it every month though
£50 can be a lot for a little depending on who you are, the live style you live and what you are trying to buy.

For some people £50 is only enough for half a nice pair of jeans or a small night out. For others £50 needs to feed them and their family for a week or more...

For me personally I get £25 a week for transport and food from my parents. Around £400/month from work and up to £100/month from my little graphics business.
Original post by ProNoob
Wow
The strugle is real
my pocket money per month is £120 woo
End up saving half of it every month though

Doesn't bother me. I live with my parents so I only pay for bus tickets and drinks when I go out. I barely buy food.
It depends what it's for.

I spend around £120 for a week's shopping for the family if I'm careful. So in that sense, £50 wouldn't even get us through half a week. So for a family weekly food shop, no it's not a lot.

For a single item of clothing? Hell yes it's a lot.

Really depends how much you've got to begin with, how many people you're having to budget for (in my case there are 6 of us), and what you're planning on using it for.
Original post by SiminaM
Doesn't bother me. I live with my parents so I only pay for bus tickets and drinks when I go out. I barely buy food.

Oh ok cool
Same but i pay for my phone bill, transport, and food for myself when in college.
I just realised that i am extreamly stingy with my money :frown:
Original post by ProNoob
True
For me that is a months transport :tongue:
Loving the 16+ oyster cards :tongue:

Also can buy 10 footlongs from subway

you could buy 50 £1 frozen curries/chinese from Tesco :yep:
Reply 14
In my eyes it is a lot of money.
When i was 17, in my first job at £3.95 an hour then £50 was about 12 hours worth of work, so three shifts and seemed a lot more.

Now, after uni and getting my qualified job, its one fifth of my Car finance payment or a full tank of diesel. I'd still rather have it then not to be fair.

So as other people have said it depends on the person and their situation.
As a student? It's an appreciable sum, and I wouldn't spend it every day, or even week. However, my accommodation is paid by a loan, and I earn a few hundred pounds a month, and have some savings from teenage weekend jobs, so I would be happy to spend it on something I wanted that might be non-essential.

Never on clothes, though. Books > clothes :tongue:
A lot is relative.

Its a lot for the pocket not much for the bank account.
you cant buy a pair of adidas creps with it so no
Original post by the bear
you could buy 50 £1 frozen curries/chinese from Tesco :yep:

But but
They probably used horsemeat:colonhash:
So subway it is for me:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending