The Student Room Group

Whats the HARDEST A-LEVEL subject your opinion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dehara
oops sorry......:colondollar:k k got it ......thnkz alot friend ......u ve helped me alooooooooooot ......so finally I thought of doing; Law,accounting ,business......and for the fourth subject......actually I love to do psychology..but since there is a lot to study in Law also I think it s too much to do another much studying subject lyk Psychology..so I thought of doing maths with stat as for the fourth......so do ya think it will do better?:redface:

I personally wouldn't even do a 4th subject as you only need 3. If you want a 4th so you can drop one then fair enough but really don't expect any of them to be an easy ride. I have a friend who does business studies and says the grade boundaries are insanely high and A2 is very challenging too. No A level is easy to do and you're better off with 3 a levels with AAB than 4 at BBBB
Further Maths is my hardest A level, maths has been ok on the whole and although French can be tricky sometimes, FM is definitely harder, and there's never any nice grade boundaries either.
Further maths. There are some manageable modules in it like fp1 fp2 all the optional modules in AS but then there's FP3 which is insanely hard.
Original post by John Fluffy Bunny
Further maths. There are some manageable modules in it like fp1 fp2 all the optional modules in AS but then there's FP3 which is insanely hard.

I definitely agree with that, not looking forward to the fp3 exam on Monday
Reply 584
Original post by youreanutter
what subjects do u do at a level and which are the hardest and easiest and what did u get in gcse for eaach and whatare u on course for now?

also is further maths that time consuming as i was gonna do further maths/chemistry maths chemistry/physics and economics

I do:
Maths/Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

I'm dropping either biology or physics. I find those the hardest; chemistry is in the middle and I would say that my best is maths. I think with physics it's pot luck on which board that your college does. I heard the AQA syllabus uses plenty of maths and I know one board devotes a whole exam on mechanics, but I'm on the OCR B course and I'm not a great fan of it.

I actually did double award science for GCSE. They made us decide in year 8 and I wasn't exactly that keen on science at the time... Nevertheless I got 2 A*'s in that, and I got an A* in maths and A* in the AQA certificate in further maths. I'm supposedly predicted 3 A's across the sciences and an A* in maths (since I'm doing the maths A level this year and then further next year), however at best I think I can get ABC in the sciences.

I say that because I think the teachers had overestimated my ability in those subjects. I had to switch schools and the students already there had done the iGCSE course which has benefitted them a lot, as apparently chemistry is very similar content and some quote physics has been easier, although biology has been completely different.

Maths hasn't been too much of a step up, especially for the AS units. C3 and C4 obviously have added difficulty but if you're intending on taking further maths you should take it in your stride anyway. It sort of depends whether you're fully motivated to put the time in learning twice the content to everyone else. I did a fair amount of work outside so hopefully the work all pays off. :smile:

As long as you did something such as Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry or Physics rather than both you should be fine. I must also note that with the latter 3 subjects you'll be on a course where you take all of your exams at the end of year 13, which will ultimately induce a lot more stress on you than it has on me, and trust me, this year has been agonisingly stressful. You'll still be able to do maths as normal since that begins in 2017 I think.

Hopefully that answers everything.
Chemistry is statistically the A Level which is most likely to get you a university offer so some people might argue that that's the most difficult and well-respected. Also students who study A Level chemistry are the students with the highest average GCSE scores, again suggesting that the course is demanding.
Original post by dlwilson97
Chemistry is statistically the A Level which is most likely to get you a university offer so some people might argue that that's the most difficult and well-respected. Also students who study A Level chemistry are the students with the highest average GCSE scores, again suggesting that the course is demanding.

What is your source for this?
Chemistry.
Original post by dlwilson97

Are you sure that's just not down to the sheer amount of people doing chemistry over subjects like PE?
I dropped business studies after doing it as a 4th AS subject because it was insanely low scoring.
I got a C in it even though I thought I did well.
You should have made this as a poll
Original post by ubisoft
What is your source for this?

UCAS. They conducted research into it and published their findings a few years ago. Don't get me wrong I think the 'hardest A Level' is completely subjective and I wrote a massive post ages ago about how it depends on content, quantity, exam board, exam questions etc. but I just thought I'd offer some facts. I do Film, Maths and Media and I find Film the hardest so I understand better than a lot of people that there isn't one right answer to this question, but seeing as everyone else agrees that it's subjective I thought I'd offer some research into it that hasn't been discussed yet!

See page 17, it's an interesting read https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/ucas-ofqual-consultation-response.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Are you sure that's just not down to the sheer amount of people doing chemistry over subjects like PE?

Possibly, I don't know the meanings behind it!
Reply 593
Original post by QueNNch
I dropped business studies after doing it as a 4th AS subject because it was insanely low scoring.
I got a C in it even though I thought I did well.

can I know the other subjects u did ??
I do Physics, Maths and Chemistry, all with Edexcel and by far Chemistry is my hardest A-level, due to the sheer size of the content you have to learn and know for the exam. Maths is ok because it can be rope learnt just through doing past papers, and physics seems like a smaller syllabus. Also the things you have to get to grips with in chemistry are so much harder to understand than in physics which mostly makes sense. Although saying this, because I found Chemistry harder I ended up spending more time on it and will probably get a better grade in it than my other options (Not what I wanted).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 595
Original post by Freddy_Kruger
Creative Writing obviously Imean look how hard it is to write two stories in a 2 hour exam! PWhoar!

You don't have to put other subjects down to make others seem harder. Creative writing could be very difficult for someone who has no creative talent as such.
Reply 596
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
I personally wouldn't even do a 4th subject as you only need 3. If you want a 4th so you can drop one then fair enough but really don't expect any of them to be an easy ride. I have a friend who does business studies and says the grade boundaries are insanely high and A2 is very challenging too. No A level is easy to do and you're better off with 3 a levels with AAB than 4 at BBBB

thnkz a lot:smile::smile:
ICT- so much content
Original post by Bahcaci
I will be doing biology, chemistry, maths + psychology, can anyone tell me the difficulty of these subjects, almost finished my gcses, and I would love to know some early background knowledge! Thanks in advance!

I do all 4 of these subjects and I'd suggest not leaving revising until the very end, start around Christmas time and keep on top of work. I've found my AS year to prove very demanding and difficult despite getting straight A* A at GCSE. You'll love it though :smile:
why chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest