The Student Room Group

Warwick gem (a101) 2016 entry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liam__
Warwick and probably 5 year Newcastle or Durham. This could change on October 9th when the deciles come out, as a swing in the scores would mean I could apply for 4 year Newcastle, but I'm not hopeful. My other 2 choices will be GAMSAT unis.

Sounds like a similar plan to me except my 5 year is Sheffield.

I heard somewhere (It's a long shot I can't remember where but it's stuck in my head) that Warwick prefer if the applications are sent in early rather than late, I did feel like it doesn't make sense as the universities dont' get our UKCAT results until after we've applied... but have you heard anything like that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by ali.s1002
Sounds like a similar plan to me except my 5 year is Sheffield.

I heard somewhere (It's a long shot I can't remember where but it's stuck in my head) that Warwick prefer if the applications are sent in early rather than late, I did feel like it doesn't make sense as the universities dont' get our UKCAT results until after we've applied... but have you heard anything like that?

That makes no sense. Like you said, they can't rank by UKCAT before the deadline because they don't have the results.
Original post by liam__
That makes no sense. Like you said, they can't rank by UKCAT before the deadline because they don't have the results.

Great, I just needed someone else to confirm my thoughts haha.
Reply 163
I'm glad this thread exists! My work experience has been gathered through full time agency working so is super varied but obviously would not be able to go to each place from the last year and get it signed off?
Original post by Jub1504
I'm glad this thread exists! My work experience has been gathered through full time agency working so is super varied but obviously would not be able to go to each place from the last year and get it signed off?

Can someone from the agency just sign them all? They must have a record of the placements you were assigned.
Hello everyone! Does anyone know how Warwick makes offers? Do they use you UKCAT, experience and interview combined so if you only do ok in interview you could get a place with a good exam score? Or do the UKcAT and the experience hours simply give you the interview and from then on it is only the interview which matters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, I was hoping to apply for this course, but unfortunately I didn't do so well in my UKCAT. I got 650 in verbal but only 635 overall. Sigh.

It's pretty frustrating knowing that I'm no where near the cut off points from recent years, but at the same time, the cut off point isn't made official until after they've received everyone's applications, so it COULD be much lower this year. However, I think this is just wishful thinking - it seems extremely unlike the cut off will drop to 2540 (my score).

I have a 1st class masters degree but I doubt this is going to make much difference.

Anyone else in a similar position? That is, disappointed by their UKCAT score and accepting they probably won't be making an application. And maybe feeling a bit sad.
It's the second one! They told us at the open day that UKCAT score is the 'gateway' to the interview (together with passing the work experience requirements), then it's sort of a clean slate.
Original post by kantayya
It's the second one! They told us at the open day that UKCAT score is the 'gateway' to the interview (together with passing the work experience requirements), then it's sort of a clean slate.

Thank you- that is really helpful to know. Now fingers crossed I pass the work experience reqs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by sillypotato
Hi everyone, I was hoping to apply for this course, but unfortunately I didn't do so well in my UKCAT. I got 650 in verbal but only 635 overall. Sigh.

It's pretty frustrating knowing that I'm no where near the cut off points from recent years, but at the same time, the cut off point isn't made official until after they've received everyone's applications, so it COULD be much lower this year. However, I think this is just wishful thinking - it seems extremely unlike the cut off will drop to 2540 (my score).

I have a 1st class masters degree but I doubt this is going to make much difference.

Anyone else in a similar position? That is, disappointed by their UKCAT score and accepting they probably won't be making an application. And maybe feeling a bit sad.

Hi, to be honest, even though your overall score is 2540, your VR is MUCH higher than last years VR cut off (570 if I'm not mistaken). Warwick really likes to focus on VR so maybe you have a chance after all. This is of course assuming that you have the necessary work experience and academic requirements. Something to think about I guess. All the best :smile:
Reply 170
Does anyone know when Warwick would send the work experience forms?
Checked my notes from the Warwick open day earlier this year about their process.

(1) They rank everyone by UKCAT VR score and exclude those with less than mean average score. According to UKCAT website mean average VR score for 2014 was 571.

(2) Then rank remaining by total UKCAT score and award points per band.

(3) Points are added for academic achievement (2:1, masters, PhD).

(4) Everyone is ranked by combined point score and the top 400-450 are invited to submit details of work experience (my recollection is this will be around November/December time, it's the first time they've done it this way).

(5) Then, they'll invite around 350-400 to an assessment centre (meaning some will be excluded based on work experience). Assessment centre was March this year, they said hoping for earlier for 2016.
Original post by sillypotato

See my more detailed post, it seems you will get extra points for having a first, so that will help, and your VR score is likely above the cut off. All is not lost!
Checked my notes from the Warwick open day earlier this year about their process.

(1) They rank everyone by UKCAT VR score and exclude those with less than mean average score. According to UKCAT website mean average VR score for 2014 was 571.

(2) Then rank remaining by total UKCAT score and award points per band.

(3) Points are added for academic achievement (2:1, masters, PhD).

(4) Everyone is ranked by combined point score and the top 400-450 are invited to submit details of work experience (my recollection is this will be around November/December time, it's the first time they've done it this way).

(5) Then, they'll invite around 350-400 to an assessment centre (meaning some will be excluded based on work experience). Assessment centre was March this year, they said hoping for earlier for 2016.

The selection centre is 7-10th Jan this year so I'm assuming they will send the w/e forms asap after the ucas deadline to get them back in time for the interview offers to be sent out
Original post by dancingfaery
The selection centre is 7-10th Jan this year so I'm assuming they will send the w/e forms asap after the ucas deadline to get them back in time for the interview offers to be sent out

Good to know - that is early...!
Guys 667.5 ukcat with a 2.1 in Physiology. 570 VR 😔

I have 10 months paid WE at GP practice as a HCA but that isn't relevant unless you get the form after cut off!

Is it worth me applying or shall I apply to another 5 year instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
Original post by HCAssistant93

I have 10 months paid WE at GP practice as a HCA but that isn't relevant unless you get the form after cut off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The VR cutoff last year was 570, so that's not a problem. It's a bit of a gamble, but if you have other safe choices on your UCAS form then it could be worth the risk?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think if I were you I'd use the application place for another course, because the VR score of 570 is right on last year's cut off (this year may be lower, no way of knowing) and if your total score is 2670, this wouldn't have met last year's cut off (which was 2800 I think). Sorry to sound so brutal, but given we only get four places, it pays to be tactical!
Reply 178

Posted from TSR Mobile

The cut off may be lower this year I would apply, but make sure you got some 5 year ones too.

Where else we you thinking of applying? And how did you find the exam?
(edited 8 years ago)
I think if I were you I'd use the application place for another course, because the VR score of 570 is right on last year's cut off (this year may be lower, no way of knowing) and if your total score is 2670, this wouldn't have met last year's cut off (which was 2800 I think). Sorry to sound so brutal, but given we only get four places, it pays to be tactical!

Ye I agree with you I think! Just getting mixed messages and getting all confused. Not brutal at all, it's best to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending