The Student Room Group

Which college should I apply to?

I really want to study natural sciences at Cambridge but I don't know which college would suit me best?

I achieved 12A*s and an A at GCSE, and my predicted AS' are:
Biol A
Chem A
Physics A (very unlikely now though, as the paper was really hard!!)
Maths A
F.Maths A

I'm going to the open day later this year, but at the moment I'm really stuck on where to apply.
I'm looking for somewhere within walking distance from the lecture theatres and science labs, and has reasonable sports facilities. I'm hoping there will be a strong community and that I won't feel less capable that others.

Can anyone suggest where would suit me best?? (obviously I'll have a better idea when I go there for my self)
Nice stats, but they're mostly irrelevant to your college choice, if only in that you may feel slightly more confident in being accepted at a 'popular' college of your choice rather than pooled and selected by a 'quieter' college.

It's a tricky choice to make, but the truth of it is that it doesn't matter much at all. Everybody thinks their college is best, even if they got pooled there. There are many colleges within sensible walking distance of the main NatSci facilities, so that will only rule out a few for you. They pretty much all have 'reasonable' sports facilities - just some may be better tailored to your sports than others, and some do spend more money on sports than others. Everywhere will have a strong community, and assuming your stats continue you'll fit in fine in terms of ability (although this will be judged by your interviewers).

The open day is the best tool for you to use. You can shortlist some colleges based off what you hear on here and by their prospectuses, locations, etc, but on the day you'll get a feel for which of them you'd be happiest at.

There are lots of minor pros and cons to each college (as shown on the TSR wiki), such as food quality, tourist density, accommodation, lawn access etc, but they are fairly trivial, but may shape your decision slightly. I saw that Emma was the only college to do your laundry for free for you, which got me hooked early on, and then I found that everything else I heard about it was great, I loved it on the open day, and can't wait to start there in September.

So basically you CAN choose by shortlisting, eliminating based on various preferences you have and prioritising them, OR you can just read through them and find one or a few which you just like the sound of, because at the end of the day, you will like wherever you end up.
Reply 2
Original post by Star Light
Nice stats, but they're mostly irrelevant to your college choice, if only in that you may feel slightly more confident in being accepted at a 'popular' college of your choice rather than pooled and selected by a 'quieter' college.

It's a tricky choice to make, but the truth of it is that it doesn't matter much at all. Everybody thinks their college is best, even if they got pooled there. There are many colleges within sensible walking distance of the main NatSci facilities, so that will only rule out a few for you. They pretty much all have 'reasonable' sports facilities - just some may be better tailored to your sports than others, and some do spend more money on sports than others. Everywhere will have a strong community, and assuming your stats continue you'll fit in fine in terms of ability (although this will be judged by your interviewers).

The open day is the best tool for you to use. You can shortlist some colleges based off what you hear on here and by their prospectuses, locations, etc, but on the day you'll get a feel for which of them you'd be happiest at.

There are lots of minor pros and cons to each college (as shown on the TSR wiki), such as food quality, tourist density, accommodation, lawn access etc, but they are fairly trivial, but may shape your decision slightly. I saw that Emma was the only college to do your laundry for free for you, which got me hooked early on, and then I found that everything else I heard about it was great, I loved it on the open day, and can't wait to start there in September.

So basically you CAN choose by shortlisting, eliminating based on various preferences you have and prioritising them, OR you can just read through them and find one or a few which you just like the sound of, because at the end of the day, you will like wherever you end up.

This is really helpful, thank you :biggrin:
Are there any particular colleges that are more for science students (I know Trinity and Kings are)
Also do you think I'd stand a chance of getting in if I did badly in one of my subjects, as long as I didn't choose it at uni? (So for example if my physics grade isn't great, would I still stand a chance to get in for the biological side of natsci?)
Hello.

You have nice stats. If you can push some subjects to A*s at A2, then you are ready to go, as long as you have a strong application with excellent recommendation letters and personal statement.

First, if you are thinking of specializing in Physics, Chemistry or Biology, then that subject has to be strong in the A Levels qualification. No need to state that you want to specialize in Bio NatSci (as the Cambridge students call it and pronounced NatSki) with an A while you have A* in Chemistry. If you want Engineering, afterwards, then your Maths and Physics have to be spot on. Remember that you will have competition from other students with A*s and interested in the same subject.

Second, you NEED to be careful with your College choice. I am not saying that you should play the College game that some applicants play, but if you are applying to Trinity, even with 3A*s, the likelihood of you getting into Cambridge at all, is very small because of the number of applicants with top stats. I advise that you think carefully about your preferences and pick a smaller College. Although it would be small with respect to size, there you will get to be become friends with other members. The only issue is that gossip spreads like wild fire in smaller Colleges and once you are unpopular, then it will be difficult to redeem yourself. On the other hand, bigger Colleges like Kings, St. Johns and Trinity may make you feel like a tiny drop in a very large ocean. After all that, do not be sold by the grandeur of some Colleges, other ones such as Peterhouse, Downing, Gonville and Caius, Clare and Homerton have excellent atmosphere as well. Pick your college wisely. The most important thing is getting into Cambridge. In the long run, your College may not really be a big deal.

When you attend the Open Day, try to visit as many Colleges as you can. Visit both ‘small’ and ‘big’ Colleges and speak to as many students as you can. If you think that someone walking down the street may be a Cambridge student, whether as an undergrad or postgrad, stop them for a minute and ask them what they think. Tell them about the Colleges that you are thinking of applying to and listen to their feedback. Do not trust the brochures, some information are not as they seem. Also, do not put too much weight on what current students think because they may be biased.

Also, if you are lucky enough to get invited for an interview, then go all out. Treat it like a dinner date and you have just ONE chance to seal the deal. You must impress them and show them why you deserve to be one of them. The good thing is that many interviewers are not ruthless and they will be trying to help you. So, you should use it. Practise for the College tests, if there are any tests. If you have to do other tests like STEP Mathematics, then study hard for it as well.

Finally, DO NOT depend solely on Cambridge. Choose other Universities like UCL, Imperial, Warwick, Manchester and Durham. Remember the competition is high, so you need to be wise in your decisions.

Good luck with your decision. I hope that it goes well.:smile:
Reply 4
Re grades, your UMS is the important factor. The higher the better, no matter which college you are considering. It is pretty much equally difficult to get into any specific college.

I recommend you join this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2722532
Official Cambridge Applicants Thread 2016 Entry

And

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=634021
The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Strangest post ever...

Original post by Wired_1800
You have nice stats. If you can push some subjects to A*s at A2, then you are ready to go, as long as you have a strong application with excellent recommendation letters and personal statement.

First, if you are thinking of specializing in Physics, Chemistry or Biology, then that subject has to be strong in the A Levels qualification. No need to state that you want to specialize in Bio NatSci (as the Cambridge students call it and pronounced NatSki) with an A while you have A* in Chemistry. If you want Engineering, afterwards, then your Maths and Physics have to be spot on. Remember that you will have competition from other students with A*s and interested in the same subject.

Students apply before they have A2 results -- not with A2 results in hand. AS doesn't have A* grades. And applicants do need to state which "flavour" of NatSci they are most interested in as it informs the choice of questions asked by interviewers. It's specifically requested in the SAQ.

Second, you NEED to be careful with your College choice. I am not saying that you should play the College game that some applicants play, but if you are applying to Trinity, even with 3A*s, the likelihood of you getting into Cambridge at all, is very small because of the number of applicants with top stats. I advise that you think carefully about your preferences and pick a smaller College.

If you are good enough for Cambridge you are (pretty much) good enough for Trinity. The average A-level attainment for all science students at Camb is 2.7 A*s. If you want to apply to Trinity, go for it. Plan B is you'd be fished from the pool.

Although it would be small with respect to size, there you will get to be become friends with other members. The only issue is that gossip spreads like wild fire in smaller Colleges and once you are unpopular, then it will be difficult to redeem yourself.

What?

On the other hand, bigger Colleges like Kings, St. Johns and Trinity may make you feel like a tiny drop in a very large ocean. After all that, do not be sold by the grandeur of some Colleges, other ones such as Peterhouse, Downing, Gonville and Caius, Clare and Homerton have excellent atmosphere as well. Pick your college wisely. The most important thing is getting into Cambridge. In the long run, your College may not really be a big deal.

When you attend the Open Day, try to visit as many Colleges as you can. Visit both ‘small’ and ‘big’ Colleges and speak to as many students as you can. If you think that someone walking down the street may be a Cambridge student, whether as an undergrad or postgrad, stop them for a minute and ask them what they think. Tell them about the Colleges that you are thinking of applying to and listen to their feedback. Do not trust the brochures, some information are not as they seem. Also, do not put too much weight on what current students think because they may be biased.

So you recommend stopping random possible students in the streets and then advise not putting too much weight on what they say...

Also, if you are lucky enough to get invited for an interview, then go all out. Treat it like a dinner date and you have just ONE chance to seal the deal. You must impress them and show them why you deserve to be one of them. The good thing is that many interviewers are not ruthless and they will be trying to help you. So, you should use it. Practise for the College tests, if there are any tests. If you have to do other tests like STEP Mathematics, then study hard for it as well.

I recommend the lamb.

Finally, DO NOT depend solely on Cambridge. Choose other Universities like UCL, Imperial, Warwick, Manchester and Durham. Remember the competition is high, so you need to be wise in your decisions.

Good luck with your decision. I hope that it goes well.:smile:

I doubt any candidate would only apply to Cambridge.
Original post by jneill
Strangest post ever...

Students apply before they have A2 results -- not with A2 results in hand. AS doesn't have A* grades. And applicants do need to state which "flavour" of NatSci they are most interested in as it informs the choice of questions asked by interviewers. It's specifically requested in the SAQ.

If you are good enough for Cambridge you are (pretty much) good enough for Trinity. The average A-level attainment for all science students at Camb is 2.7 A*s. If you want to apply to Trinity, go for it. Plan B is you'd be fished from the pool.

What?

So you recommend stopping random possible students in the streets and then advise not putting too much weight on what they say...

I recommend the lamb.

I doubt any candidate would only apply to Cambridge.

Wow.

Thank you very much for taking your time to critique my post. I hope to redeem myself. Here we go…

First, I have family members that have studied in Cambridge. Although their experiences were personal, they were experiences nonetheless.

Yes, you are correct that students do not state the ‘flavour’ of the course. I wrote that the OP would need to attain an A* in his A2 because of the competition. I understand how the UCAS application works, but the application does not end there. One still needs to fulfil the offer conditions.

My suggestion on attaining A* in A2 was to fulfil the offer conditions, which will probably include A*s (hopefully, if the OP gets to that final stage). When my friend got admitted to Cambridge on a Bio NatSci course, her offer clearly stated the A* in Biology and another A* in either Physics or Chemistry. I do not think that advising the OP to strive to push up his grade is STRANGE!

Like I previously wrote, some people do play the College game. I know two people that have done it. They were turned down from Cambridge the first time. One earned 2A*s and 1A and the other 3A*s. Both applied to Trinity and were turned down after the interviews. Both chose other Colleges during the second time around, the first to Homerton and the second to Newnham and they both got in. I am not making this stuff up. If you want more info, you can pm me and I can give you more info. Some people do play the College game. So let us not assume that it does not happen.

Sorry for the gossip section. This is what I have been told. I was just trying to expand the College discussion beyond academics and tough on other things in College life.

For the student feedback from the streets, I meant that the OP can stop students and seek feedback; but not to put too much weight on the feedback. It is good to know that things about the Colleges, but I am just advising to take them with a pinch of salt. You will be amazed how people change their College preferences based solely on what they have been told.

For only applying to Cambridge, I know people that have done that. My brother applied only to Manchester and my cousin applied ONLY to Cambridge. She was very lucky to have gotten in. It is crazy, but it has happened. The last time that I checked there is no law against not using all your UCAS options.

Personally, I do not think that my previous post was strange. I hope that I have been able to redeem myself
Reply 7
Wow.

Thank you very much for taking your time to critique my post. I hope to redeem myself. Here we go…

First, I have family members that have studied in Cambridge. Although their experiences were personal, they were experiences nonetheless.

Yes, you are correct that students do not state the ‘flavour’ of the course. I wrote that the OP would need to attain an A* in his A2 because of the competition. I understand how the UCAS application works, but the application does not end there. One still needs to fulfil the offer conditions.

My suggestion on attaining A* in A2 was to fulfil the offer conditions, which will probably include A*s (hopefully, if the OP gets to that final stage). When my friend got admitted to Cambridge on a Bio NatSci course, her offer clearly stated the A* in Biology and another A* in either Physics or Chemistry. I do not think that advising the OP to strive to push up his grade is STRANGE!

Again, applicants DO need to indicate the flavour of NatSci when applying.

And the OP can't push up from an A to A*. An A is the highest you can get at AS (hence my earlier advise about achieving a high UMS at AS).

Getting the offer is the hard part. Almost all applicants meet their offer, except for STEP offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Again, applicants DO need to indicate the flavour of NatSci when applying.

And the OP can't push up from an A to A*. An A is the highest you can get at AS (hence my earlier advise about achieving a high UMS at AS).

Getting the offer is the hard part. Almost all applicants meet their offer, except for STEP offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I agree that UMS is a strong indicator for application.

The current standard requirement for NatSci is A*A*A

http://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/admissions

This is why I wrote that the OP should strive to achieve the A* in his A2 because (hopefully) he would probably be receiving an offer of A*A*A.

I know that it is too far into the future, but it would be sad for him to do everything right and get the offer, but fail to meet the condition of an A* in Biology or Physics.

Yes, STEP offers are hard to achieve, but some people do pull through.

To the OP: Sorry for making your thread to be quite wordy.

My advise is to gather as much information as you can and choose the College that you feel will be the right on for you. If you can, visit Colleges, speak to people and then make a decision. Consider all options, academic and College life.

Good luck to you.
Sidney Sussex is an awesome college - very central, small (so a friendly and inclusive atmosphere), looks pretty but not that well known so doesn't get too many tourists, shares lots of sports facilities with St Johns (I think), cheapest bar in Cambridge! However, I am currently studying there, so I might be biased... Good luck to you and hope to see you in 2016!
Decide after you go to the open day for sure and try to visit as many as you can and make a shortlist of your favourite ones. Enquire about accommodation, facilities and location relative to lectures.
Hello, I am going into 4 year in Edinburgh Uni. Currently thinking about applying for LE for postgra study. How likely will I be able to get in if I have an expected upper 2:1, some off-curricular activities and a bank interinship experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending