The Student Room Group

GCSEs for Ivy Leagues?

Hi

I'm in year 12 and predicted AAAA for AS. I really want to apply to Ivy League schools, preferably Harvard/Yale.

However, my GCSEs were not particularly amazing; I got 4A*s and 9As. Is this good enough? Or will this be considered quite poor?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by weider215
Hi

I'm in year 12 and predicted AAAA for AS. I really want to apply to Ivy League schools, preferably Harvard/Yale.

However, my GCSEs were not particularly amazing; I got 4A*s and 9As. Is this good enough? Or will this be considered quite poor?

Thanks

I would look on their websites.
Many American universities do not worry about other qualifications as they rely mostly on SATs and entrance exams, I would either email the universities in question and ask what they would like or suggest
Hi

Thanks

tsr troll
Reply 3
Original post by demigawdz
tsr troll

Not even

These universities have acceptance rates of like 4%. GCSEs do matter, and I'm pretty sure mine are mediocre in comparison to the usual Harvard applicant
Not even

These universities have acceptance rates of like 4%. GCSEs do matter, and I'm pretty sure mine are mediocre in comparison to the usual Harvard applicant

Apply anyway? Whats the harm in applying?
You don't have a limited number of applications like in ucas and nothings gonna change your gcses lol
the only thing that will change your chances is what you do from now
Reply 5
I really want to apply to those Uni's as well I am currently finishing my GCSE exams and am going to go to Year 12 in September.

As I know they put more emphasis on your SAT Scores and from your A-Level grades they get an average grade so you have to get 90%+ which is about an A/A* Grade. No they may look at your GCSE results but they do not matter as much as SAT and A-Level Scores/Grades. GCSE results don't show whether a person is worthy of a place or not as much as A-Levels do.

And besides some people got into those Uni's with low GCSE grades but they had high Sat Scores and A-Level grades plus they do a lot of extra-curricular and charity work as well (these matter more than your GCSE grades).
Original post by Katie015
I really want to apply to those Uni's as well I am currently finishing my GCSE exams and am going to go to Year 12 in September.

As I know they put more emphasis on your SAT Scores and from your A-Level grades they get an average grade so you have to get 90%+ which is about an A/A* Grade. No they may look at your GCSE results but they do not matter as much as SAT and A-Level Scores/Grades. GCSE results don't show whether a person is worthy of a place or not as much as A-Levels do.

And besides some people got into those Uni's with low GCSE grades but they had high Sat Scores and A-Level grades plus they do a lot of extra-curricular and charity work as well (these matter more than your GCSE grades).

Yes.SATS are pretty important.I got 2090 in Sat 1 and 790s in 3 Sat 2 subjects.Still didn't apply to the US.I'd say go for it!
4 A*s is excellent, but they do turn down many US applicants with close to perfect scores and grades. They will look at the GSCE. However, I would be more concerned about getting US test scores. Harvard/Yale's average SATs are about 2250 and that includes students with "hooks". It would be best to get 2300+ or 34+ on the ACT. The SAT Is are weird from your perspective, but you need to prepare for them. Also, best to have 3 SAT IIs at 800 or close. For US applicants it helps to be a talented athlete, musician, actor or something, or have done something noteworthy nonacademic. They will know you won't have the opportunity for US-style ECs or be familiar with US tests, but it is better if you can present US-style credentials. Also, it is important how you sell yourself in your essays and how your faculty references present you.
Don't worry about your grades. For one, they're near perfect. And second, you can't change them anyway.

Focus on the SATs and essays. Hopefully, you already have extracurricular activities that are meaningful to you. If you're a top athlete, try contacting their coaches. They can often get you in, if they want you enough.
13 GCSEs sounds like a lot, and that would be an advantage in the US, where students study many subjects. It would also be an indication of being well rounded and be viewed as an academic achievement.

You probably would need some A*s on the A-levels for the top Ivies, unless there were other reasons to accept you.
Reply 10
Did you get in?
Hi

Thanks
Reply 11
Your GSCEs and A-levels are the main thing they will look at. They look at grades from teachers and AP exams and your exams count as both. The SAT is an aptitude test. If you don't do well on it, that is a problem, but in itself it won't get you in. GSCEs are more important relative to A-levels than with English universities, because they are interested in your overall academic record, not whether you are ready to study whatever.

Your AS levels may also be a little weak for Ivies. They probably want to see A*s. You probably won't get a straight answer on what they are looking for. It is a totally subjective decision, not whether you meet qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending