The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
I have suffered from struggling to get to sleep(Insomnia) a lot and have simply had to stay awake because I couldn't stop thinking about loads of things at once so I'm not sure how I will cope on Results Day, what is worrying me at the moment is the realisation that Results Day will often result in a lot of stress(phone calls,clearing) if you don't do brilliantly along with your results, even if you do well Track may not be updated which could be worrying.

I am in the same sort of situation I am really worried and just want to know whether I have got into university or not.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If your school opens earlier, you don't have to go asap

I'm not going to go in until 11am ish

Last year I went in quite late and it was a lot more peaceful

How can you bear waiting any longer for results?(or do you get them online early like me?)What if you are in Clearing or need to phone up Firm/Insurance?-it is very important for these reasons that you find out your results ASAP.You don't want to be missing out a place at your dream Clearing University do you?
(edited 8 years ago)
How can you bear waiting any longer for results?(or do you get them online early like me?)What if you are in Clearing or need to phone up Firm/Insurance?-it is very important for these reasons that you find out your results ASAP.You don't to be missing out a place at your dream Clearing University do you?

I've waited a couple months, I can wait a few more hours.

I don't get anything online unfortunately.

I wouldn't go into clearing, at very worst I'd be at my insurance as my offer is AA. Which would mean I would had to have gotten Ds this year to not get in.
Just realised it's August! Damn this year has gone by so fast.

Still hasn't clicked that I won't be seeing people again... From every day, to never at all.

Hopefully Big Weekend is here
Original post by PQ
UCAS updates for 17/20 people - 3/20 will not have a clear answer on Track

And the UCAS embargo on results and the implications of those results has been strengthened this year. Although the embargo ends at 6am on results day this year so it's possible you may get an email from one of your unis prior to Track turning on - it's unlikely though. Most universities have learned from when UCAS turned track on at midnight one year with noone in the office except the IT bods fielding a million worried phone calls from applicants.

Most universities will open their phone lines etc at 8am and so will not send anything out electronically til then. They are allowed to put letters in the post on the Wednesday to arrive on Thursday - but a lot of people don't get post until lunchtime or later.

My college sent the email for AS Results last year at 5:22am, so does this mean the AS people get the results earlier or do my College 'bend' the rules?or has the 6am time only been introduced for this year?I am expecting my results between 5-6am my College have made it clear I should know my results before the Results Day Event starts at 7am and I might not know if I don't get my results early as I have to set off by bus and will leave it as late as possible if I don't know my results but the buses aren't as frequent on the morning.I am suppose to fake opening my results for the media(actually knowing the results before I had opened the envelope) otherwise it could be quite embarrassing.
I really must stop having these 4am "I'm not going to get in, perfect time to plan a gap year/check every uni website's clearing list to see if they have a course I could vaguely cope with" panics, I hate waking up at lunchtime as a result. Why can't existential crises keep themselves to a more convenient time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3946
Original post by taikibansei
Results this month :colonhash:

Don't be silly. It's not that clo- :redface:
Original post by emiloujess
I'm so so happy! It was literally right in front of me the whole time though :frown: Just out of interest, what kind of things did you put on your personal statement?

I did a Maths Personal Statement and I wrote a lot about what I loved and had learnt from Maths/Physics and also the Maths I had created and investigated myself.To add to this, I talked about the fact that I wanted a career in Meteorology and linked this in with my Maths skills and also mentioned how I was self studying Additional Further Maths.Moreover,I talked a lot about what I learned at the Summer School I attended.Also, I mentioned the Maths Challenges I had done the fact that I had been on the School Council and in the UKYP and how I played Darts and how this was related to Mathematics.
Original post by CD223
I'm annoyed with the way they're marking the typo question. I wish they'd just write it off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't that bad I thought it was strange but realised that the numbers didn't really matter and just drew the curve a bit lower and not falling as steeply(I didn't do it down the bottom as it would be too hard to make out).For Physics, the graphs aren't really accurate like Maths so it won't be that big of a deal just one mark for lower and another for not as steep, potentially the numbers could have been anything.
Original post by Harrigt
Lol I almost did the same as you but I did law instead of psychology

Yaaay! How did you find Sociology and Film? Which exam boards did you do?
Original post by smegsxo
I completely forgot to read or quote the source in unit 1 so I lost a few marks there!Posted from TSR Mobile
Now I'm not sure if I did... :frown: I hate that, as it gets closer to exams, we start doubting ourselves more and more...
Original post by Uclanodp
Guys I am very frightened for results :frown:
Prospective ODP student what are you lot most stressed about??
Has anyone started prepping for uni??

I haven't started prepping for University as I don't know what will happen yet.If I get into Cambridge(very unlikely) I will start prepping straight away and if I get into Durham or worse through Clearing I will start prepping in September.

If you prep earlier it might not be useful as you could get into a different course/university than you thought and I need a long summer break not doing much as rest from such a long hard A2 year.
Original post by taikibansei
Results this month :colonhash:

... holy crap we really do!

I did a Maths Personal Statement and I wrote a lot about what I loved and had learnt from Maths/Physics and also the Maths I had created and investigated myself.To add to this, I talked about the fact that I wanted a career in Meteorology and linked this in with my Maths skills and also mentioned how I was self studying Additional Further Maths.Moreover,I talked a lot about what I learned at the Summer School I attended.Also, I mentioned the Maths Challenges I had done the fact that I had been on the School Council and in the UKYP and how I played Darts and how this was related to Mathematics.

That sounds so good!
Original post by SuperSah
Shoot, exam results ARE this month and Uni is NEXT MONTH! :dddddd

University will be the month after the next month for me unless I miss both my Firm and Insurance offer and get into a September Start University, my dream Clearing choice is a Late September start.I wouldn't like to start really till October as it gives you more time to enjoy the summer and get ready to University, if you start at a new University/course you had never considered in a month things might get very rushed/panicky.
Original post by Cadherin
Agreed - really hoping they're lower than last year. I think my school might have f*cked up the marks - with the mechanics ISA, I got 7/7 for the practical, 9/9 PSA marks which must mean I got 14/34 on the paper. Something wrong here methinks...

Yes, if the boundaries were really really low that may save my 90+ average - hardest ISAs on record this year surely?

It is pretty common to almost get full marks/full marks before the written paper my College pretty much gives 9/9 to everyone for the PSA(usually its stuff like Safety which everyone gets unless they blew something up badly etc) and the teachers usually check through the practical work to ensure not many marks are lost(my College is not the strictest obeyer of the rules but probably better than some of the Colleges from the incredible cheating I've seen/heard where schools give out the papers as homework and someone on TSR posted for help and it got removed by me reporting them).

I got 44(B) last year after the Grade Boundaries went down due to the exams being harder now because teachers can't see the papers beforehand I didn't do brilliantly in the exam papers so my UMS was just below 83% for Physics and 93% overall and I got my Cambridge offer.

Hopefully, I have done better this year as I'm expecting full UMS for my AS resit and an A* for my A2 ISA and you might do the same.For this years ISAs my teachers watched the Internet/TSR for what the ISA papers could be on and there was an accidental leakage of information due to College mistakes as they gave out the wrong ISA papers and I chose to sit the paper an hour later to give me more time to revise, those who sat it earlier accidentally saw the resit paper we would sit in a months time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SuperSah
I only got a job since it's my families bar/restaurant, so it was pretty easy. Finding vacancies elsewhere was a little too difficult for me, but my job here pays incredibly well and now I have a lot to play with and cover Uni essentials!

Hopefully I shall do, it's my most sought after grade! I never dipped below an A* this year for mocks, but of course the final grade can be very different, but I'm hoping the consistency didn't fail me. I hope you get every grade you wish also! :biggrin:

I got an A* in my Physics mock but I would be shocked if I actually got an A* as the exams didn't go great, you never know with Physics though because I really don't know what I'm doing usually just shoving numbers into formulas and regurgitating facts, so you could do really well or really badly and it depends on how harsh the examiners are and how low the grade boundaries are which can change quite a bit for Physics.Have you ever been not confident for a subject despite consistently doing wellish?
I am really scared for Results Day thinking what if it all goes pear-shaped like those who get shocked by their AS results?I'm thinking that the examiners could mark them wrong and I'm wondering about whether I fully checked I had wrote my answers down on the Multiple Choice correctly(I think I double checked properly but if I didn't that would be my A down the grade as all the answers could be wrong).Lets hope I do well enough to at least get into my dream Clearing University(Newcastle), after missing both Firm/Insurance I don't want to go to Northumbria or some other University I had never heard of/thought of before.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emiloujess
AQA is a horrible exam board for anything and everything... they've lost papers, made errors in papers, marked really harshly, not marked properly at all (I know someone from last year who got a low C remarked and it went up to an A). There is a theory that AQA do it on purpose so that people have to pay for remarks.

I don't think so as AQA have to pay back the remark money if the grade goes up and this means that they still have to repay the markers I think so they would make a huge loss if this was true but then again they could get the satisfaction of annoying students.
I don't think so as AQA have to pay back the remark money if the grade goes up and this means that they still have to repay the markers I think so they would make a huge loss if this was true but then again they could get the satisfaction of annoying students.

I'm only repeating what was said in other RD threads, I don't really agree with it myself but even if they pay back the remark money the examiners do still get paid... :smile:
In one of my chemistry papers I scribbled some of my answers out because they were wrong and wrote the new ones on the additional paper given. I told the examiners that I'd done this in capital letters where the answers were supposed to be but what if they ignore it :frown:
I remember seeing people talking about how many people get their grades changed by the exam boards and I would like to say that generally the exam boards do a pretty good job, although there have been a few scandals I think where there have been major mistakes.

I come to this conclusion due to the fact that the majority of those who remark don't get their grades changed and those who remark generally believe their grades are wrong so the probability of their marks being wrong is higher and with such a small error in marking it usually comes down to human error,subject subjectivity in subjects like English/History and standard statistical variation as those Maths students who have studied Statistics know examiners can only try and make their process more accurate(99%,99.1% etc there will always be a decently wide margin of error as it is simply impossible to mark every paper correctly, think about how many times you have bought faulty goods and then you will realise how good of a job examiners do).

This does remind you how easily things can still go wrong on exam day, even if you really did do well and Universities have no legal obligation to keep your place until the remark comes back.

Latest