The Student Room Group

My situation.. Do I still have a chance?

Okay. I'm in a really weird position at the moment. I moved school at the end of year 10 across the country. I had to switch to different subjects completely and ended up only doing 7. I've tried to catch up massively throughout this academic year and I think I've done okay. I reckon ill get 1A* 3A 2B 1C when I get my results this August, with the A* in Maths.

I want to do Computer Science at Cambridge, and I don't know whether they'd take my situation into account when I apply. I'm planning on doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A level and I plan to get good grades in all of them. Do you think I'd still have a chance? Would it still be worth applying? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by faizanistall
Okay. I'm in a really weird position at the moment. I moved school at the end of year 10 across the country. I had to switch to different subjects completely and ended up only doing 7. I've tried to catch up massively throughout this academic year and I think I've done okay. I reckon ill get 1A* 3A 2B 1C when I get my results this August, with the A* in Maths.

I want to do Computer Science at Cambridge, and I don't know whether they'd take my situation into account when I apply. I'm planning on doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science at A level and I plan to get good grades in all of them. Do you think I'd still have a chance? Would it still be worth applying? Thanks.

Cambridge will be much more interested in what you get at AS, although I would suggest that given their reputation, Oxford are probably out of the picture
Thanks, but do you reckon I'd have a good enough chance to justify applying?
Reply 3
I would disagree with Trouty97, I've heard that Cambridge pay more attention to GCSEs than Oxford (also I think Cambridge students would resent the implication you make about their reputation compared to Ox).

People who go to oxbridge tend to have many A*s, but I think thats just because of how smart they are, I doubt it precludes those who do not have them.

Trouty is certainly correct that AS levels are far more important. It's definitely too early to be worrying about this anyway, concentrate on the rest of your exams this summer and then push for 4 high As next year.

Oh, regarding whether you should apply, it totally depends on your AS. If you do well then you should, you have 5 choices so why not.
Original post by zimbo97
I would disagree with Trouty97, I've heard that Cambridge pay more attention to GCSEs than Oxford (also I think Cambridge students would resent the implication you make about their reputation compared to Ox).

People who go to oxbridge tend to have many A*s, but I think thats just because of how smart they are, I doubt it precludes those who do not have them.

Trouty is certainly correct that AS levels are far more important. It's definitely too early to be worrying about this anyway, concentrate on the rest of your exams this summer and then push for 4 high As next year.

Oh, regarding whether you should apply, it totally depends on your AS. If you do well then you should, you have 5 choices so why not.

All right thank you, this has been bugging me for ages now:smile:
Original post by faizanistall

I'd imagine that due to your personal circumstances you would be able to get a teacher to write you an extenuating circumstances form. With extenuating circumstances and good as module scores you shouldn't be at a disadvantage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
I'd imagine that due to your personal circumstances you would be able to get a teacher to write you an extenuating circumstances form. With extenuating circumstances and good as module scores you shouldn't be at a disadvantage

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really helpful:0 thank you. I feel much more confident now:smile:
I only got 1A* and 4As at GCSE with no extenuating circumstances (although I did go to a veeeeeery bad school) and I got in for Computer Science. If you get good AS levels (over 90% UMS average) you have a chance!
Reply 8
As others have said, AS UMS is the most important thing, followed by interviews. Bad GCSEs aren't that relevant. Your subjects are perfect for CS with computing being the least important, and maths the most, so prioritise the work that way.
Just going to put this out there - A-Level reforms kick in from this September, for anyone starting Y12 then. The new system is going to be such that if you do an AS, it doesn't count towards an A-Level, it's going to be a stand-alone qualification. A-Levels are going to be a 2-year linear course. Aka if your school is going to choose not to teach so as to allow pupils to do both AS and A-Level in the same subject, you won't have scores to show them at the end of Y12. It's a very confusing time right now.

It isn't to put you off at all - by all means, if you can get the grades at A-Level, totally go for it! - but just be aware, the system is changing (yaaaaay tories).
Original post by Paralove
Just going to put this out there - A-Level reforms kick in from this September, for anyone starting Y12 then. The new system is going to be such that if you do an AS, it doesn't count towards an A-Level, it's going to be a stand-alone qualification. A-Levels are going to be a 2-year linear course. Aka if your school is going to choose not to teach so as to allow pupils to do both AS and A-Level in the same subject, you won't have scores to show them at the end of Y12. It's a very confusing time right now.

It isn't to put you off at all - by all means, if you can get the grades at A-Level, totally go for it! - but just be aware, the system is changing (yaaaaay tories).

I've heard that AS Levels can't be taken into account by universities when considering applications. Is this true?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending