The Student Room Group

What do uni students do during the summer?

I was wondering what uni students do in the summer when they don't have uni. I'm an EU student and the government from my home country doesn't help fund rent in the summers, but that's not the biggest issue. What do uni students do in the summer? Work? Visit home?

I'm asking this because I don't really fancy the idea of moving back home during the summers (what was the point of even moving out in the first place if this is the case), but then do I always look for a summer job and find a temp place near where my family lives or simply stay in England?

I need some advice haha. This seems confusing.
I go back to my parents and work during all the holidays (Christmas, Easter and summer). My uni also gives us half terms which is helpful as I work through those too.

It is a little easier for me to do this as a uk student though, especially for half terms!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Even though I could easily go home by train (100 miles from my uni), I have chosen to stay over the summer since I can't imagine going back. I already have a job and now there is no uni until September I plan on picking up extra over time, if it wasn't for my job then I wouldn't be able to stay over summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most students get jobs or internships over the summer - you'll want the money to help you during term time, and internships ate valuable work experience which is vital for many careers.

Most universities will not give you accommodation for the summer, but if you live in private rented accommodation during the year you will probably have the option to keep it over the summer, if you want to stay in your uni town for a job, or alternatively its pretty easy to find short term lets
in other cities if you get a job/ internship there.

Other students go travelling over the summer - obviously this generally costs a lot of money rather than earning you any, and isn't as good for your CV, but can be good fun, particularly if you have not seen much of the uk/ Europe before.

And of course, many students simply go home for the summer - free accommodation and food, someone to do the washing and cleaning, and an opportunity to see your family again. Students often return to the same part time jobs they had the previous summer/ while they were at school, and its a good option if you haven't been able to organise a job/ internship elsewhere and don't have the money for travelling.
Reply 4
Original post by newttella
I was wondering what uni students do in the summer when they don't have uni. I'm an EU student and the government from my home country doesn't help fund rent in the summers, but that's not the biggest issue. What do uni students do in the summer? Work? Visit home?

I'm asking this because I don't really fancy the idea of moving back home during the summers (what was the point of even moving out in the first place if this is the case), but then do I always look for a summer job and find a temp place near where my family lives or simply stay in England?

I need some advice haha. This seems confusing.

UK students tend to go back home after exams and see there family, spend time with their friends from home and school and probably try to go on holiday and perhaps get a job. That's why uni rent doesn't include summer.
I go home and workimg full time until September =)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ideas for jobs : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15893-summer-job-guide-for-students

As a EU students (presumably with language skills) you could get a residential job working for a UK travel company in a European resort - ideas within the TSR page link above - or try a jobs site like http://www.toplanguagejobs.co.uk/
Most home (UK based) students will move home with their parents when uni is not teaching. Throughout the summer they will either do absolutely nothing and sponge from their student loan & parents, or get a part-time/temporary job for a couple of months.

I would advise you speak to the university you will be studying at, they might be able to offer you a 52-week contract accommodation so you can stay at the University all year long.
You can probably also get work at the University to pay for the extra accommodation fee's throughout Summer.

Alternatively, England has some cheap hotels you could stay in full time. You'd have to make your own way there and find a way to transport all of your stuff but there are probably local hotels which will let you have extended periods at the hotel (2-3 months for about £35 per night), so obviously you will need a job to pay for your weekly bills (£245 on hotel, £30 on food, £15 on socializing, £20 on transport), so if you can get a job which pays like £350 per week then you should be fine. That sounds like a lot but if you put yourself out and about and offer to work like 8am until 6pm Monday-Friday, that's 50 hours per week, so at (approx) £6 per hour, 50 hours per week would give you around £300 per week. Get an evening job for weekends too and you should easily be hitting £400.

I know it doesn't sound like much of a life but that's it. You need a job to pay for additional accommodation I'm afraid.

Why not try to get a job whilst you're at University (studying), just a part-time one working 15 hours per week will rake in at least £70 per week. Save this up and then during Summer you will have a bit of money to put towards accommodation and then you won't have to work so hard.

Of course, your problems would be all solved if you had rich parents who could send you £2,000 for Summer.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone for the advice so far really helpful. :smile:
Sweet FA. Sport, the odd job/bit of work experience, but mainly chill out. Bit like uni minus going out as much and the odd lecture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending