The Student Room Group

Can I go to Oxbridge?

I want to study computer science at Oxbridge but I don't think I have the grades to get an offer.

For quite a number of years I was the sole carer for my mother who was suffering with mental illness, this was during my 5 years in secondary school. Due to this, my attendance at school was very low (60%) and I barely was involved with school due to these circumstances. My school was one of the lowest performing schools in my city as well. As a result of this, I only achieved 1A*, 1 distinction*, 1 distinction, 4As and 2Bs.

I'm now studying maths, physics, computing, general studies and I'm doing an EPQ. I'm predicted all As at these subjects and I'm a very able mathematician (top among my class and I now attend a much better school). However, I achieved a B in GCSE maths so was not allowed to study further maths, which I know decreases my chances of getting an offer. If studying it at AS next year will increase my chances of getting an offer then I'll happily do it.

So do I realistically have a chance of getting an offer if I get As in my AS levels and perform well in the MAT/TSA and with my GCSEs, given my circumstances (I'm not sure they even apply as extenuating circumstances)?

Thank you in advance.
Hi there! First of all, I'm sorry for your mother, I hope she is okay. Well done for caring for her and I'm sure you could mention this under the 'extenuating circumstances'.
This might not be what you are hoping to hear but:
a) Oxbridge is very VERY competitive. There will be kids applying swimming in A* and distinctions in GCSE as well as excellent A Levels. I'm not sure what the requirements are, but it if it is AAA there will be a lot of A*A*A*, so just get prepared that there will be people with better grades who will be more likely to be accepted over you.

Oxford especially looks a lot at your GCSEs. If you want to apply to either, choose Cambridge as they are less likely to be affected to them, but most who apply have 8-10 A*..

So to answer your question realistically, your at a disadvantage but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from applying to either of them if you work extra hard in your A Levels.

Good luck.
Original post by remediae
Hi there! First of all, I'm sorry for your mother, I hope she is okay. Well done for caring for her and I'm sure you could mention this under the 'extenuating circumstances'.
This might not be what you are hoping to hear but:
a) Oxbridge is very VERY competitive. There will be kids applying swimming in A* and distinctions in GCSE as well as excellent A Levels. I'm not sure what the requirements are, but it if it is AAA there will be a lot of A*A*A*, so just get prepared that there will be people with better grades who will be more likely to be accepted over you.

Oxford especially looks a lot at your GCSEs. If you want to apply to either, choose Cambridge as they are less likely to be affected to them, but most who apply have 8-10 A*..

So to answer your question realistically, your at a disadvantage but there is absolutely nothing stopping you from applying to either of them if you work extra hard in your A Levels.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. Thankfully, my mother is brilliant now. She is on holiday at the moment (something she wouldn't think about doing a few years ago) and couldn't be happier. I think I might apply to Cambridge and just hope for the best.

Do you think I have a realistic chance of getting into universities such as Warwick, Bristol, Durham, etc for comp sci? As I said, I'm predicted all As for AS level and I'm very confident I'll achieve high grades at A2 too. It's just my GCSEs that let me down.
Have you come across the Cambridge Special Access Scheme? It sounds like it would be suitable for you https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section3/3_3.html

Original post by throwaway1234321
Do you think I have a realistic chance of getting into universities such as Warwick, Bristol, Durham, etc for comp sci? As I said, I'm predicted all As for AS level and I'm very confident I'll achieve high grades at A2 too. It's just my GCSEs that let me down.

If you get the grades they state that they want, then you have as good a chance as anyone else.

Ask your referee to discuss your caring responsibilities in your reference - it will be taken more seriously coming from a referee than the applicant.
Original post by throwaway1234321
I want to study computer science at Oxbridge but I don't think I have the grades to get an offer.

For quite a number of years I was the sole carer for my mother who was suffering with mental illness, this was during my 5 years in secondary school. Due to this, my attendance at school was very low (60%) and I barely was involved with school due to these circumstances. My school was one of the lowest performing schools in my city as well. As a result of this, I only achieved 1A*, 1 distinction*, 1 distinction, 4As and 2Bs.

I'm now studying maths, physics, computing, general studies and I'm doing an EPQ. I'm predicted all As at these subjects and I'm a very able mathematician (top among my class and I now attend a much better school). However, I achieved a B in GCSE maths so was not allowed to study further maths, which I know decreases my chances of getting an offer. If studying it at AS next year will increase my chances of getting an offer then I'll happily do it.

So do I realistically have a chance of getting an offer if I get As in my AS levels and perform well in the MAT/TSA and with my GCSEs, given my circumstances (I'm not sure they even apply as extenuating circumstances)?

Thank you in advance.

Firstly, well done on looking after your mother, and I'm glad she's now better.

We would certainly welcome an application from you, and look very sympathetically at your situation.

Oxford does not put as much emphasis on GCSEs as is often said (except in medicine). Having said that, your GCSE results are certainly below those of most successful CS applicants (most have 6+ A*s), and the B in Maths is a definite negative. However, you have clear extenuating circumstances, and we would take these into account (it is worth getting your referee to mention them, BTW). But the emphasis is on you to prove that you're better than your results suggest. Certainly, if you perform well enough on the MAT, we would invite you for interview.

I would encourage you to take Further Maths to AS, or to A2 if you can persuade your school to let you.

Gavin
Reply 5
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have you come across the Cambridge Special Access Scheme? It sounds like it would be suitable for you https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section3/3_3.html

The Cambridge Special Access Scheme doesn't exist anymore - it's been replaced by the Extenuating Circumstances Form, but OP should definitely submit one of those.

If you do get As at AS I would definitely apply - it's only one of your five choices after all. I'd also recommend studying AS further maths.
Original post by smile:D
The Cambridge Special Access Scheme doesn't exist anymore - it's been replaced by the Extenuating Circumstances Form, but OP should definitely submit one of those.

If you do get As at AS I would definitely apply - it's only one of your five choices after all. I'd also recommend studying AS further maths.

Thanks for the update - always useful to know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending