The Student Room Group

Backpacking / Gapyear

I soon finish my A-levels and i have decided i want to go travelling before going to university. I would love to go to Thailand however i am not too fussed about the destination or even the time period i am away. I was wondering if there is any useful websites that will find me a good deal. Also any advice would also be appreciated :smile:
Gap yah Gap yah Gap YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh
Hi Brad,

When it comes to backpacking, Thailand does seem to be an amazing destination. However, there are also many other beautiful places in South East Asia worth checking out. Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, etc. You'll be amazed by how affordable it is to travel for a long period in the region.
Personally, I would recommend you to go around November/ December period. Even though summer (May-August) is always recommended by many, it's the hottest season. For someone who is used to the chilly and cooling weather Europe has to offer, it does feel very suffocating and tiring to be constantly on the go in the humid Asia weather. Yeap, we are talking about the scorching 40 degree. It gets cooler in Thailand around November. The temperature drops to about 30 degrees. You will find yourself less tired and able to do more things during the day.
Compared to other destinations in South East Asia, Thailand is relatively more expensive. While in Thailand, a good budget would be £25-30/ US$40-50 per day (accommodation, eating expenses, transport, night life activities, sightseeing), you only need £15-20 per day for countries like Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia. But bear in mind, this is only a rough budget, it varies across cities.
A few popular cities that allow you to easily find fellow solo backpackers are:
- Thailand: Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Krabi. - I definitely recommend Koh Phi Phi and Krabi. Amazing beaches.
- Malaysia: , Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Langkawi. Go to Penang for amazing multicultural cuisine. Drop by Langkawi for a chillax day on the beach.
- Laos: Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng. Love the sound of affordable white water rafting with your new good mates? Vang Vieng is the place to be in. Did I mention you could get dorm bed for US$2?
- Cambodia: Siem Rap, Phnom Penh.
- Vietnam: Hanoi, Sapa, Ha Long Bay, Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh. Personally I love Hoi An. The city offers a total non fussy lifestyle. People there are so friendly. Even though they don't speak your language, some will go to the extreme to help you out and make sure you are having a good time in their ancient town. Hoi An is also known for the best Vietnamese banh my, if you don't know what it is, you are seriously missing out. :P. When in Hoi An, take a day trip to Cham Island for scuba diving or snorkelling experience. The estimated cost is about £20 for 2 sessions of snorkelling (in different spots) and £40-50 for scuba diving. Meals and transport to the island are usually included. Make sure you get these parts of the deal. Unless starving is your newly developed hobby. :P

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Elise.

Quick Reply

Latest