The Student Room Group

No idea about uni

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Having just finished my AS exams, I've just realised that I have no idea what I want to do for uni or where I want to go. I'm doing physics, maths, chemistry and politics, and I reckon I've got somewhere between AAAB and ABBB. The only thing I really know about location is that I'd prefer to live in a city rather than a campus university, and I'm not bothered about moving far from home.

Thanks in advance for any help!
First, I would suggest considering what you enjoy. Which of your AS subjects is your favourite? If you have more than one favourite, are there any courses that combine them? If you realise that you actually don't want to study any of those at uni, you want to study something else, is it something that you can get into without the relevant A-levels?

Once you've figured that out, you can start thinking about the actual university. Take a look at the Guardian University Guide, and look at:

1) Which unis do the course/courses that you're interested in
2) Which unis are considered the best for those courses
3) What the unis are actually like, according to the guide and also the forums on here

Remember, you have until about January to apply if you've just finished your first year of college. That's a lot of time to think and to change your mind - I originally wanted to do genetics, before wanting to do Classics, then eventually settling on English! Also, even if you can't decide on something just yet, there's always the option of putting it off and taking a gap year to try and work out what you're interested in and what you want to do. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kathryn.a910
First, I would suggest considering what you enjoy. Which of your AS subjects is your favourite? If you have more than one favourite, are there any courses that combine them? If you realise that you actually don't want to study any of those at uni, you want to study something else, is it something that you can get into without the relevant A-levels?

Once you've figured that out, you can start thinking about the actual university. Take a look at the Guardian University Guide, and look at:

1) Which unis do the course/courses that you're interested in
2) Which unis are considered the best for those courses
3) What the unis are actually like, according to the guide and also the forums on here

Remember, you have until about January to apply if you've just finished your first year of college. That's a lot of time to think and to change your mind - I originally wanted to do genetics, before wanting to do Classics, then eventually settling on English! Also, even if you can't decide on something just yet, there's always the option of putting it off and taking a gap year to try and work out what you're interested in and what you want to do. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks. I'm feeling myself being drawn to economics but unfortunately I didn't do AS Economics. Most economics courses don't need economics but could I do an AS in year 13, and would it assist me?
I think you would probably have to talk to your tutor about whether or not you could do an AS in year 13, as it probably depends on the college. I would recommend researching economics degrees that you're interested in, and finding out how much basic knowledge is needed - some unis might have some sort of "Economics from scratch" thing or something like it :smile:
Original post by PAFCStan
Thanks. I'm feeling myself being drawn to economics but unfortunately I didn't do AS Economics. Most economics courses don't need economics but could I do an AS in year 13, and would it assist me?

Personally I would concentrate on getting the best possible grades in your A2's -AAB at A2 for example would leave you more options than BBBB. For most unis AS Level Economics won't put you at an advantage- I've just done a quick scan of some unis and apart from some Cambridge colleges if an A-Level was required it was Maths.

Also if you are still exploring all options still its worth going through a few university websites, seeing what courses they have, the courses should detail the modules and you can see what you like the sound of.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending