The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
I've got Rootes & Jack Martin as first & second choice - any ideas what to put as third choice? I want decent living environment, somewhere that's not quiet but also somewhere where I can get down to work when I need to.

Also... given the amount of time me and friends spend around a shisha atm, im thinking i wanna take one to warwick, i know the handbooks all say they're not allowed but rules are there to be broken. so should i put myself down as a smoker? tbh i dont want to be stuck living around people that smoke ciggerettes all the time.. double standards i know
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
aqfrenzy
I've got Rootes & Jack Martin as first & second choice - any ideas what to put as third choice? I want decent living environment, somewhere that's not quiet but also somewhere where I can get down to work when I need to.

Also... given the amount of time me and friends spend around a shisha atm, im thinking i wanna take one to warwick, i know the handbooks all say they're not allowed but rules are there to be broken. so should i put myself down as a smoker? tbh i dont want to be stuck living around people that smoke ciggerettes all the time.. double standards i know

i'm stuck with a 3rd choice aswell, i like rootes and JM too.in fact, i want the same kind of environment as you've discussed above.i'm looking at whitefields, maybe you should check that out?
Reply 382
another economist
i'm looking at whitefields, maybe you should check that out?

why whitefields? what attracts you to that?
Reply 383
shisha is fine, everyone seems to do it here.

BTW, I just wanna confirmation: when I am choosing Westwood as my 1st choice, should I care about other choices ? :P:

:biggrin: haha you've got it.
Reply 384
aqfrenzy
why whitefields? what attracts you to that?

I can think of several reasons. 1. Cheap 2. 2nd best social life after Rootes. 3 Very good location, close to SU etc 4. Can be a really nice atmosphere since you live in small houses.

In fact I think Whitefields has more to offer than Rootes and a ta better price. But I just love partying too much to give up Rootes:smile:
Reply 385
after comparing my choices (whitefields, tocil, cryfield, claycroft):

whitefields has the second biggest rooms next to claycroft. whitefields is 1 min from SU where as claycroft is 10 mins.
whitefields is cheapest alongside cryfield (same weekly price, whitefields is 39 weeks, cryfield is 30 weeks)
as above whitefields is 39 weeks and not 30 (pro or con depending on how you look at it).
one obvious inconvenience in whitefields is no washbasin in room :P i'll get over that

final decision
1. rootes
2. jack martin
3. whitefields
Reply 386
Effect on achieval of choices by applying early.
Big/small?
Reply 387
mangomaz
If you're a finalist international student you're guaranteed campus accomodation. Everyone else lucky dip. If you're disabled you can stay on campus all 3 years.

I guess i need to get injured :wink:
Reply 388
alamode
I guess i need to get injured :wink:

:eek:

ooh
Reply 389
Is no one applying AV?
I just applied
1) AV
2) claycroft
3) westwood

I'm so scared I'm going to be put with a bunch of geeks :frown:. You have no idea how much I emphasised the word "quiet" in my application lol!! Just because I dont want to go to rootes !
Redredred
Is no one applying AV?
I just applied
1) AV
2) claycroft
3) westwood

I'm so scared I'm going to be put with a bunch of geeks :frown:. You have no idea how much I emphasised the word "quiet" in my application lol!! Just because I dont want to go to rootes !

Erm... hate to break it to you but you're most likely to be put in with a bunch of quiet people now...! And seeing as you havent put rootes as one of your choices its preeeetty unlikely you'd have got it anyway.
I deferred my place though at one point I was gonna go last year, and I remember EVERYONE seeming to want AV but there seems to be a huge switch to JM. Now I stayed with my friend at AV and at Rootes alternatively, and there's no way I would have been happy with AV, it was so so quiet.

I'm not the loudest or party...est.. kinda guy there is, in fact I can be pretty shy but I'm much more scared of being bored, I'm surprised so many people are applying to en-suite...

I'm thinking of going with Rootes, Whitefields and Cryfield.
I can't decide between Westwood or Claycroft for my first choice. Any suggestions?
Reply 393
heya guys!
i have just put down my accommodation:
rootes
tocil
cryfield
could you tell me a bit about each please, even tho its a bit late to change lol!
also, iv heard cryfield is haunted!is that true?is it scary?lol!
thanks xxx
Reply 394
1. Westwood
2. Rootes
3. Cryfield

Lol, cryfield is hunted ?? I hope they don't put me there !! :P
Reply 395
Anyone know if Benefactors is an 'ensuite choice' ?or only if you have a non-shared room?

Cheers
Reply 396
Turns out Benefactors is an ensuite.
ScarecrowJack
I deferred my place though at one point I was gonna go last year, and I remember EVERYONE seeming to want AV but there seems to be a huge switch to JM. Now I stayed with my friend at AV and at Rootes alternatively, and there's no way I would have been happy with AV, it was so so quiet.

I'm not the loudest or party...est.. kinda guy there is, in fact I can be pretty shy but I'm much more scared of being bored, I'm surprised so many people are applying to en-suite...

I'm thinking of going with Rootes, Whitefields and Cryfield.

Yeah people don't realise how ensuite isnt actually worth it before they get to uni.... You don't realise what your priorities are wrt accomodation till you get to uni and then you realise that having fun is a lot more important than having your own bathroom :p:
I don't understand how 39-week lets can be at all a benefit for UK students with any access to a car. It might be a huge hassle getting your stuff from Coventry to Southampton, but paying 300 quid more doesn't seem much better.

I put down Rootes, Cryfield, Jack Martins and Whitefields down. I would have put Benefactors down as my third choice, but I'd hate to share with someone and didn't think putting down that I'd mind would be enough to get a single room there.
Reply 399
About this AV discussion, I've thought about it and surely you'd meet so many different people from so many different accomodations - in your lectures, societies, and generally at the union - so I don't see how you would definately be bored just because you're in quiet accomodation..? If you're not a boring person I'm sure you'd make it interesting for yourself

Quick Reply

Latest