The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
I'm in my first year and have experience of sharing in westwood and living in cryfield.
I'll start with Westwood. I discovered to my horror about 2 weeks before arriving that I would have to share in Westwood which was not one of my choices. This was due to missing a level results. :mad:

To me westwood felt very separate to the rest of campus and everything was about 15-25 min walk away (Less time if you have a bike or long legs :tongue: ). The rooms are very spacious with a huge desk and sink (the two beds in a room aren't really a problem if you're sharing- its all the belongings that make sharing a bit of a pain). Also as it is a 39 week let you get to leave your stuff in your room over xmas and easter. I was on the first floor and had a laundry room directly opposite me which was very useful. There were about 24 people sharing a medium sized kitchen with about 7 chairs in it which was annoying but there was plenty of fridge and cupboard space.

Westwood is a nice place to live but for me the distance away from the campus (and from my friends who all live in rootes/ cryfield) made me not enjoy living there so much. If I had two lectures with an hours free time it wasn't all that easy to pop back to my room and I had to stay in the library. However I was never late for lectures when i lived there and the walk was nice when it was a sunny day. There is also the shuttle bus which if I managed to flag it down was very useful after a night out on campus. Oh and its very close to tesco which is one of the things i miss most now I live in cryfield.

I personally wouldn't apply for westwood as the other 30/39 week non ensuite options (rootes/ cryfield/ tocil/ whitefields) are just as good in terms of quality of accommodation and price and have the advantage of being max. 5 mins away from central campus. I'm sure many people living in Westwood would disagree with me on this though my friends there all loved it. My problem with it was that my main group of friends all lived together in cryfield so I spent a lot of time walking there and back. However if when the time comes you find that you are one of the lucky sharing people don't worry it lasts a few weeks at the most and its really good having a roommate in the first few days especially if you're quite shy.
I think the rent this year was £77 a week and its a 39 week let.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 981
Ok moving on to cryfield

I moved to cryfield from westwood in week 8 term 1 and it was the best decision ever :yep:

Yes the corridors are narrow and the walls are thin, but living on the top floor this really isn't an issue as there are only 8 of us. I had a lot more problems with noise at westwood. The rooms are some of the smallest on campus but I have plenty of space and my room is so much more cosy than in westwood. The kitchen is new and I share it with 14 people so there is plenty of space.

The laundrette is 2 minutes walk away and costcutter/ the union is 5 mins away across a main road. The good thing about cryfield is that even though it is very close to the centre you don't get all the noisy drunk people walking back from the union or tes like you do in whitefields and rootes. I have a lot of lectures in the ramphall building which is 5 mins max away.

I got the impression from people before I came to Warwick that cryfield was quite grotty but this isn't the case. The ground floor corridors can get a bit cold but the kitchens and common rooms are the best i've seen and once you've put up a few posters in your room it looks fine.

Everyone i've met has been very friendly and down to earth and you get loads of erasmus students staying here.

Living on the top floor is a very different experience to the ground floor. I live at the very top with 7 other girls and if you like peace and quiet then it's brilliant. My kitchen is on the floor below so you don't get noises from the kitchen disturbing you late at night. It is still sociable though there are always plenty of people downstairs to talk to. My boyfriend lives on the ground floor and its a lot noisier and very busy! The thin walls do become a slight problem at 2 in the morning when people are in the corridors but I think you would get that anywhere else (rootes etc).

I would recommend cryfield to anyone, the value for money is excellent. At £70 a week for a 30 week let I can't understand why anyone would bother to fork out for an ensuite. Ok so you get your own toilet but is it really worth it? I've never had to queue for the bathroom ever in cryfield or westwood. Think about what you could do with that extra money you'd save! If I was applying again my 3 choices would be cryfield, rootes, whitefields/tocil
Reply 982
Ok, so if i get an offer from Warwick I'd be looking definitely for ensuite accom.

Been looking at Jack Martin, Arthur Vick, Lakeside etc. Seeing as I'm an overseas student it seems more practical to go for a 39 week let instead of 30.

Lakeside looks quite far out on the map - is this annoying? Does it feel as if it's out of things a bit or is there still a good atmosphere? it looks really pretty from the pictures but i'm wondering if it's better to be a lot more central, like Jack Martin?

also, how likely is it that i'd get my first choice?

thanks!
ChloeGsy
Ok, so if i get an offer from Warwick I'd be looking definitely for ensuite accom.

Been looking at Jack Martin, Arthur Vick, Lakeside etc. Seeing as I'm an overseas student it seems more practical to go for a 39 week let instead of 30.

Lakeside looks quite far out on the map - is this annoying? Does it feel as if it's out of things a bit or is there still a good atmosphere? it looks really pretty from the pictures but i'm wondering if it's better to be a lot more central, like Jack Martin?

also, how likely is it that i'd get my first choice?

thanks!

True, Lakeside isn't right in the heart of campus but it's not that far away. 15 minutes walk I think? Not too sure, I've only walked it a couple of times. It's very nice out there, and I'm certain there's a good atmosphere. It can be useful to be somewhere more central, close to the Union (if you need to stagger home during the night) or Costcutter, which reminds me of another thing; being in Lakeside gives you probably the longest walk to Tesco out of the whole of campus, which can be annoying if you have a lot of heavy shopping to carry home. Personal choice really, each place has it's (dis)advantages.

Whether or not you get your first choice will depend a lot on what you say on your accommodation form in the "about me" section. For example, if you say you're loud and outgoing, have late nights etc. then you're not going to get Arthur Vick. Lakeside is quite popular, and you can never really say how likely you'll be to get your first choice, especially with Warwick Accommodation (they do all sorts of odd things). I'd say you'd be in with a good chance though.
Reply 984
secretmessages
True, Lakeside isn't right in the heart of campus but it's not that far away. 15 minutes walk I think? Not too sure, I've only walked it a couple of times. It's very nice out there, and I'm certain there's a good atmosphere. It can be useful to be somewhere more central, close to the Union (if you need to stagger home during the night) or Costcutter, which reminds me of another thing; being in Lakeside gives you probably the longest walk to Tesco out of the whole of campus, which can be annoying if you have a lot of heavy shopping to carry home. Personal choice really, each place has it's (dis)advantages.

Whether or not you get your first choice will depend a lot on what you say on your accommodation form in the "about me" section. For example, if you say you're loud and outgoing, have late nights etc. then you're not going to get Arthur Vick. Lakeside is quite popular, and you can never really say how likely you'll be to get your first choice, especially with Warwick Accommodation (they do all sorts of odd things). I'd say you'd be in with a good chance though.

thankyou!
yeah, Lakeside on paper looks beautiful but i think being that further out may annoy me. And from other posts here it seems as if lots of international students are there and it can be a bit cliquey? I think my first choice would be Jack Martin...
well i'm a non-smoker and wouldn't want to live with smokers, i enjoy a night out but i'm not overly loud or partyish - i prefer the pubs to clubs! do you reckon that is JM material?!
ChloeGsy
thankyou!
yeah, Lakeside on paper looks beautiful but i think being that further out may annoy me. And from other posts here it seems as if lots of international students are there and it can be a bit cliquey? I think my first choice would be Jack Martin...
well i'm a non-smoker and wouldn't want to live with smokers, i enjoy a night out but i'm not overly loud or partyish - i prefer the pubs to clubs! do you reckon that is JM material?!

I think Lakeside is popular with quite a lot of international students (for the 39 week let) but by no means is it only for internationals - there's a good mix everywhere. Don't worry about the smokers - nobody's allowed to smoke inside (bedrooms or kitchens) at all. I think you sound well-suited to JM, just remember you'll have to move out during Christmas and Easter (although some vacation accommodation is available elsewhere on campus, I think).
Reply 986
secretmessages
I think Lakeside is popular with quite a lot of international students (for the 39 week let) but by no means is it only for internationals - there's a good mix everywhere. Don't worry about the smokers - nobody's allowed to smoke inside (bedrooms or kitchens) at all. I think you sound well-suited to JM, just remember you'll have to move out during Christmas and Easter (although some vacation accommodation is available elsewhere on campus, I think).

I'm in JM now and would recommend it if that's the kind of thing you enjoy (there are a mixture of people here, some who prefer just going to pubs and other who prefer clubbing). From what I've seen the resident tutors here are nowhere near as strict as the ones in AV (although this won't necessarily hold and could be coincidence).

You'll also be near to pretty much everything which is great (getting out of bed only 5-10 mins before your first lecture and still being on time is quite nice).
Reply 987
secretmessages

Lakeside and Westwood are the furthest from the SU, being equally far, however Westwood is closer to University House (and thus the learning grid) and Tesco. These factors make it seem like Lakeside is the most isolated, and I would agree. My friends who lived in Lakeside in their first year found it difficult to live so far out (bear in mind I say this as a former Westwood resider!), and found it to be rather boring. We only found two parties at lakeside in his whole fresher year.

But that comes back to the age-old point of "it depends on who you're living with". Anywhere can be a 'party zone' if the right characters end up there.

As far as Lakeside being the furthest from Tesco goes, I'd probably disagree and say Claycroft/Redfern are the furthest from Tesco. However, they are closer to Costies, so the result is as I said in my first paragraph, Lakeside is the most isolated.
aza484
As far as Lakeside being the furthest from Tesco goes, I'd probably disagree and say Claycroft/Redfern are the furthest from Tesco. However, they are closer to Costies, so the result is as I said in my first paragraph, Lakeside is the most isolated.

Claycroft? I think you mean Cryfield - Claycroft is right next to Tesco :tongue:. Redfern is only available to final year undergraduates too (or at least it was this year). Cryfield though yes, I guess that is a bit further than Lakeside.
Reply 989
so when they say 30 week let, how much do you have to clear out your room?

for overseas/international students is there somewhere we could keep some stuff as i can't fly everything back and forth all year!
ChloeGsy
so when they say 30 week let, how much do you have to clear out your room?

for overseas/international students is there somewhere we could keep some stuff as i can't fly everything back and forth all year!

You get (as far as I'm aware this is the same in all halls) a lockable cupboard above your wardrobe, about 1m x 0.5m x 0.5m? There's also limited (shared) storage space in the "trunk rooms" (in AV at least) and overseas students get precedence over that space, I think.
Reply 991
secretmessages
You get (as far as I'm aware this is the same in all halls) a lockable cupboard above your wardrobe, about 1m x 0.5m x 0.5m? There's also limited (shared) storage space in the "trunk rooms" (in AV at least) and overseas students get precedence over that space, I think.

cool, thankyou!
it's just i'm going to have to leave my 'cello there over Christmas and Easter and then any big bulky stuff (or as much of it as i'm allowed to!)
grrrrr, i wish they would just give me an offer!

thanks for your help
hey all! im most probably coming to warwick this year, reading psychology. anyway, im really keen on whitefields, what with the whole cosy flat thing it has going on. does anyone know what to avoid putting in the 'about me' section to maximize my chances of getting put there?
nicolettepillay
hey all! im most probably coming to warwick this year, reading psychology. anyway, im really keen on whitefields, what with the whole cosy flat thing it has going on. does anyone know what to avoid putting in the 'about me' section to maximize my chances of getting put there?

I really wanted Whitefields, and didn't get it, but I'll tell you what I put (so what you shouldn't put). That I love being social and loud but I like my quiet moments.

So basically don't give a hint of quietness I think, cuz I was told that Whitefields people are pretty loud. But then I've only ever met 2 Whitefields people and they aren't very loud :p:.

Yeah okay I fail at answering your question.
haha any information is helpful:smile: gosh i really really hope i get whitefields!
Reply 995
Maybe that you prefer a smaller family style group?
Which whitefields flats tend to form..
It's a tough one. Rootes and others are so much bigger..much more likely to get in one of the others..
=(
Reply 996
Right...
First and second choice are Rootes then Whitefields...
Any ideas on a third?
What's Tocil like?
Reply 997
mmmm same question as luce...
i like the sound of rootes and whitefields too

btw, good work all those contributed to this thread. so so so helpful :smile:
Luce...
Right...
First and second choice are Rootes then Whitefields...
Any ideas on a third?
What's Tocil like?

If you put Rootes as first, you're probably gonna get it.

I'll answer your other question anyway. Tocil is quite practical. It's a flat-style with 6 boys and 6 girls, for 39 weeks (you'll probably never regret this, due to the hassle 30 week people go through after each term.. and if you wanna come back earlier to study for exams during spring), an OK-sized room, 3 bathrooms (2 showers and 1 bath), and in a GREAT location especially if you get one of the flats around the round-about. Howeverrrrrr, there is no common room besides the kitchen.. It has a relatively quieter reputation than Rootes or Whitefields, but then again.. Rootes has one hell of a loudass reputation, so. To summarise it, Tocil is quite normal, and mediated in terms of everything, like noise, price, etc.,
In Rootes, apart from the kitchen, is there a communal area?

Quick Reply

Latest