The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

if i go for rootes in first, what are my chances to get in? (90%?)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
tommyvillegas

This time last year I would've said that, so long as you state you want a social atmosphere in the personal statement (and it probably wouldn't harm to explicitly say in the same statement that you'd really like Rootes), it would be at least 90%. Now that it's a 39 week let instead of 30 week it's difficult to say for certain, but I would guess the chances would be higher not lower as it will probably dissuade quite a few people.
tommyvillegas

Probably very high, unless you write in your about me something un-rootes like.
polaroid13
ahhh cool cool - and what were your impressions on those 3
that would be an amazing idea tbh

AV and JM were very nice, both with very big rooms. However even then even with no students there you did get a sort of.. anti-social feelings from AV. JM seemed a nice cosy place. Tocil seemed very dark and dismal, with very thin coridoors, but the rooms brightened the place up a bit. I did have the chance to look in Rootes in the May open day but I never took it. Ah well...
Reply 1184
For me
1. Rootes (very sociable)
2. Cryfield (cheap)
3. Whitefields (a bit of both)

:yep:
Reply 1185
julija
For me
1. Rootes (very sociable)
2. Cryfield (cheap)
3. Whitefields (a bit of both)

:yep:

Oooh good choice! :smile:

I think ill be doing the same choices but in different order:

1.Cryfield (cheapness has to be the biggest factor)
2.Rootes (sociable)
3.Whitefields... (random this one, but seemed like the obvious last)
Reply 1186
hassan90
Oooh good choice! :smile:

I think ill be doing the same choices but in different order:

1.Cryfield (cheapness has to be the biggest factor)
2.Rootes (sociable)
3.Whitefields... (random this one, but seemed like the obvious last)

great! well I was thinking to make the same order as yours, but Cryfield seemed less sociable than Rootes when I visited them both. :rolleyes:
OR I was thinking to put Cryfield as the first option (because I would save like 1000 pounds in that year!) and write in section about me that I love parties and I'm very sociable so maybe I'd be put with people like me :biggrin: Then I wouldn't mind being in Cryfield :smile: So i really don't know what to do...
orionmoo
AV and JM were very nice, both with very big rooms. However even then even with no students there you did get a sort of.. anti-social feelings from AV. JM seemed a nice cosy place. Tocil seemed very dark and dismal, with very thin coridoors, but the rooms brightened the place up a bit. I did have the chance to look in Rootes in the May open day but I never took it. Ah well...

ah i think i might go for Jack Martin then - plus its a lil cheaper
i cant believe you had the opportunity to see a fair amount of the accomodation - i feel let down :frown:
thanks for the info anyway :smile:
Why on earth is no one considering Westwood this year :-s
Reply 1189
Notebooksecrets
Why on earth is no one considering Westwood this year :-s

I was considering it, but people talking about the distance from everything else has put me off, plus the 26 to a kitchen thing. :frown:
EmmaK90
I was considering it, but people talking about the distance from everything else has put me off, plus the 26 to a kitchen thing. :frown:

It's one of the most sociable and cheapest accommodations as well as having the biggest rooms on campus.
The walk is nowhere near as bad as people like to make out - it takes the same amount of time to reach the library (aka the centre of campus) from Westwood as it does Cryfield! A 10 minute walk really isn't gonna kill anyone...
Notebooksecrets
It's one of the most sociable and cheapest accommodations as well as having the biggest rooms on campus.
The walk is nowhere near as bad as people like to make out - it takes the same amount of time to reach the library (aka the centre of campus) from Westwood as it does Cryfield! A 10 minute walk really isn't gonna kill anyone...

I'm considering it! As my number 3 or 4 :P
The kitchen thing puts me off the most. The rooms only 0.01m^2 bigger than JM and isn't as big as AV, according to the accommodation website.
orionmoo

The kitchen thing puts me off the most.

Tell me about it.. Well, if it hadn't been for that, I think it would be my second choice. But.. it sounds too messy.
orionmoo
I'm considering it! As my number 3 or 4 :P
The kitchen thing puts me off the most. The rooms only 0.01m^2 bigger than JM and isn't as big as AV, according to the accommodation website.

Remember that the room sizes given on JM and AV include the en suite within that, so the room is a sizeable chunk smaller than you'd expect. My friend's AV room last year definitely wasn't as big as my Westwood one!

In terms of the kitchen, the experience really boils down to who you're sharing with. My kitchen last year was pretty messy on weekends, but was cleaned every weekday morning, and after the initial few weeks of term there was never more than about 8 people in the kitchen at any given moment - by the end of the year it was empty most of the time!
Reply 1194
Notebooksecrets

Wow, really?
Noone ever mentons that lol. hmm, maybe i'll reconsider it.

How did you find the kitchens?
EDIT: sorry, only just saw your post above :smile:
EmmaK90
Wow, really?
Noone ever mentons that lol. hmm, maybe i'll reconsider it.

Well, it's not an exact science, but there's not a lot in it!
Reply 1196
Notebooksecrets

When I visited Warwick last week I was surprised, it wasnt actually that LONG of a walk as people said it is took me about 20-25minutes to walk from ONE end of campus to the opposite end and around 10mins from main campus to westwood . But anywhere you live on campus i think shouldnt matter distance wise.... Unless your like me where my department(biological sciences) is 10-15mins away from main campus so i would have to walk 25-30mins every morning to get to lectures, will get kinda draining!
Reply 1197
julija
great! well I was thinking to make the same order as yours, but Cryfield seemed less sociable than Rootes when I visited them both. :rolleyes:
OR I was thinking to put Cryfield as the first option (because I would save like 1000 pounds in that year!) and write in section about me that I love parties and I'm very sociable so maybe I'd be put with people like me :biggrin: Then I wouldn't mind being in Cryfield :smile: So i really don't know what to do...

Yeh the £1000 difference does really make the decision for me... And when i visited the campus last week, i really got the vibe that it doesnt matter where you live(between cryfield, westfield and rootes) they're all so close and im sure we will all make friends from people of other acc. like rootes so could go over there whenever its lively. Anyway im just looking at it as a room and a place to live... the fun side depends on you really imo.
Reply 1198
For me my choices will probably be

1. Jack Martin
2. Rootes
3. Either Heronbank or Claycroft, finding it hard to decide!

Shouldn't we be able to apply for accomodation soon? Thought it would be end of april or was that just a rumour!
I think my choices will be:
-Rootes
-Westwood
-Whitefields

Quick Reply

Latest