The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
nish81
Bump my question :smile:

God no.
You get a mattress a bed cover and a blanket (and a pillow iirc). Bring your own furnishings (mattress cover, sheets duvet extra pillow pillow cover). :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1481
nish81
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/residences/facilities

so when they say 'linen' they dont include sheets or a pillow cover?

Correct.
If you imagine a poor service travel motel. They still hoover the room and clean the sink now and again but they don't give you anything that would require them to do your laundry if that makes sense..

I think maybe the pillow they give you has a cover on but to be honest you want to take one of your own anyway as mine was a bit skanky/stained.
Basically they never do any laundry. [Apart from washing the mats from the bathrooms.]
Reply 1482
nish81
saved me from turning up without any sheets

Cheers :smile:
Don't worry too much about forgetting stuff. There is a big tesco nearby which has much of what you could possibly forget..a parent can be dispatched there while you are unpacking :yes:
Reply 1483
Chrrye
Correct.
If you imagine a poor service travel motel. They still hoover the room and clean the sink now and again but they don't give you anything that would require them to do your laundry if that makes sense..

I think maybe the pillow they give you has a cover on but to be honest you want to take one of your own anyway as mine was a bit skanky/stained.
Basically they never do any laundry. [Apart from washing the mats from the bathrooms.]

so does that mean every room includes a pillow actually?

Thanks
Reply 1484
LSEfreak
so does that mean every room includes a pillow actually?

Thanks

My Rootes room contained a pillow on arrival.
It was not a good pillow but yes, it was there..
I had one of my own just in case..

I'll repeat that there is a shopping complex near campus that can cheaply supply anything you may have forgotten so you wont have to suffer without anything for a whole term..

the only things I think it would be diasterous if you did not arrive without would be
Computer, official documents, money/money card.
Chrrye
My Rootes room contained a pillow on arrival.
It was not a good pillow but yes, it was there..
I had one of my own just in case..

I'll repeat that there is a shopping complex near campus that can cheaply supply anything you may have forgotten so you wont have to suffer without anything for a whole term..

the only things I think it would be diasterous if you did not arrive without would be
Computer, official documents, money/money card.

What documents do we need to take with us, or will they tell us in the info pack in September?
Reply 1486
orionmoo
What documents do we need to take with us, or will they tell us in the info pack in September?

They will probably tell you.
I mean stuff like Passport, medical history, national insurance number etc. Anything you could possibly need at uni
given that you may travel abroad, open bank accounts etc.
Chrrye
They will probably tell you.
I mean stuff like Passport, medical history, national insurance number etc. Anything you could possibly need at uni
given that you may travel abroad, open bank accounts etc.

Right.. I don't really want to take my passport to uni, I haven't got a clue what my medical history is; never been in a hospital. I already have 3 bank accounts and I know my NI number off by heart soooo. Oh well.. I'm sure they'll tell us what we need.
Reply 1488
orionmoo
Right.. I don't really want to take my passport to uni, I haven't got a clue what my medical history is; never been in a hospital. I already have 3 bank accounts and I know my NI number off by heart soooo. Oh well.. I'm sure they'll tell us what we need.

Yeah, they probably will.
Good luck with your exams if youv got some coming out..
Reply 1489
Did anyone recieve a confirmation email once they applied? Because i didn't.

Also i put cryfield 1st (because it was the cheapest) but i have realised i need a big room! And cryfield has one of the smallest. Do you think i will be able to change my first choice to rootes, and still get fair consideration?

Thanks
two4one

Also i put cryfield 1st (because it was the cheapest) but i have realised i need a big room! And cryfield has one of the smallest. Do you think i will be able to change my first choice to rootes, and still get fair consideration?

Thanks

No rooms are really THAT big. Westwood are the biggest, but I don't like Westwood.
It might be too late to change, and it's really not as big a deal as you think right now you'll wonder why you were so worried later... but if you're that bothered you could try contacting them.

I think I did receive a confirmation email when I applied...? But you normally have to wait a while before finding out where you are, first years dont get told until almost the beginning of term I think?

I'm going to be going into my final year and they've also now confirmed I will be in 'Hurst'.
two4one

Thanks

You should've received a confirmation email. Inside is a confirmation link which needs to be clicked to finish the application.

Search you emails for it and if you can't find it, email [email protected] and ask them to confirm whether they have it, supplying your name and UCAS ID. They get back to you within a day or so normally.
Hmmm...

The last email I got was when I had submitted the form. It asked me to confirm my email address.

Your application for accommodation for 2009/2010 at The University of Warwick has been received.
Information regarding your accommodation will be sent to you in September.

Please click on the following link to confirm your email address. Failure to do so may result in a delay in
the processing of your application:

www.blah....

Once I confirmed I haven't heard from them since.

If you got an email asking for confirmation, then (hopefully) you are fine, if not, follow what orionmoo said.
Reply 1493
Hey guys, does anybody know what Heronbanks like? in terms of the room, social life, and location? Thanks in advance!
Miss_Scarlet
Yes... the bathrooms are shared by both sexes, it's hardly scary...
If you have a problem with that though, I'd recommend applying to be in a 'same sex' corridor,then you won't be with the opposite sex though I don't know why anyone would want that.

cheers :smile:
no way gonna apply for that, just curious to know if the number of bathrooms given included both male n female toilets or it's mixed so yea :smile:
r3b3lli0n
cheers :smile:
no way gonna apply for that, just curious to know if the number of bathrooms given included both male n female toilets or it's mixed so yea :smile:

In Tocil where I was, the corridor was an L shape with 6 guys rooms down one side and 6 girls rooms down the other side with the kitchen in the middle area sort of. There was a big bathroom with a toilet, sink and bath in the boys side and 2 bathrooms with shower and toilet and sink down the girls side, but everyone uses both.

I never used the bath though after seeing what people did to it over the year xD
Reply 1496
orionmoo
You should've received a confirmation email. Inside is a confirmation link which needs to be clicked to finish the application.

Search you emails for it and if you can't find it, email [email protected] and ask them to confirm whether they have it, supplying your name and UCAS ID. They get back to you within a day or so normally.

Just searched my inbox and that email was there. Totally forgot that i did get one :o: .

Also i wanted to know that did everyone in the kitchen get their own cupboard? To store pots plates etc ? Or do they get left out so everyone can use?
two4one
Just searched my inbox and that email was there. Totally forgot that i did get one :o: .

Also i wanted to know that did everyone in the kitchen get their own cupboard? To store pots plates etc ? Or do they get left out so everyone can use?

When I visited, I swear the cupboards in JM were TINY! They looked about a square foot, no joke! Those were the ones above the work top. I'm not sure if there was others. That's hardly any room to store things though.. I think i'd probably end up leaving all my plates and stuff in my room and just store food in the kitchen.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but there seems to be many people active on this thread. How much are people budgeting for a week? Including food shopping, but excluding accomodation? I was thinking roughly £75 but I have no idea, my brother managed £100 a week but he was living in London.
robotic_dancer
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but there seems to be many people active on this thread. How much are people budgeting for a week? Including food shopping, but excluding accomodation? I was thinking roughly £75 but I have no idea, my brother managed £100 a week but he was living in London.

I found that my weekly Tesco shopping came to anything between £30 and £60 depending on how hungry I was at the time :/. I also took quite a few trips to Costcutter for lunch and stuff which is a bit expensive but unnecessary if you can be bothered to make lunch yourself. Then there's evenings out at the union and stuff, and any other random things you want to buy, but that's up to you. I'd say £75 was a good estimate.

Quick Reply

Latest