The Student Room Group

Laboratory work experience?

Hi,

I'm currently trying to find work experience for veterinary and one of the requirements apparently from the royal veterinary college is a week in a research/lab based environment I think

Are there any places anyone knows about where I could ask? I really don't know where to look for research based experience!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not aware that it is a requirement for vet med courses, possible for vet science. I was also going to be looking for this. I'm based in the West Midlands area, where are you? If I find anything I'll let you know. I have also asked on another forum so hopefully may hear something there.
Original post by coupezaj
I'm not aware that it is a requirement for vet med courses, possible for vet science. I was also going to be looking for this. I'm based in the West Midlands area, where are you? If I find anything I'll let you know. I have also asked on another forum so hopefully may hear something there.

VetMed and VetScience are the same thing.
Also, Lab work experience is not required for any vet school, even RVC :smile:
RVC only recommends it.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'm also looking for lab wex but in Scotland... :smile:
Reply 3
Sorry... I was referring to the bioveterinary science course at RVC. Just too lazy to write it all out.
:frown:
Reply 4
I've booked work experience with Axiom Veterinary Laboratories. It wasn't difficult at all - I just went on their website to find their email and sent one saying I wanted some experience. They run a kind of scheme for students (16+) to give the work experience and they have four (I think) labs nationwide. I'm going near the end of the summer in London :smile:
Original post by suofei
I've booked work experience with Axiom Veterinary Laboratories. It wasn't difficult at all - I just went on their website to find their email and sent one saying I wanted some experience. They run a kind of scheme for students (16+) to give the work experience and they have four (I think) labs nationwide. I'm going near the end of the summer in London :smile:

wow thanks, I'll look that up now, I'm in London too so i hope i can get that

London haha completely different but oh well
Lab work is great but don't worry if you really can't get it. I got in 1st time into vet school (4/4 interviews) without any lab work.
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Lab work is great but don't worry if you really can't get it. I got in 1st time into vet school (4/4 interviews) without any lab work.

wow well done! do you mind me asking when you applied and what work experience you had? And is large veterinary practice hugely necessary because tbh that is the area where i am finding it hard to get work experience; do stables and stuff count? Because i wouldnt be seeing any vets
Original post by Sanaa SurnamE
wow well done! do you mind me asking when you applied and what work experience you had? And is large veterinary practice hugely necessary because tbh that is the area where i am finding it hard to get work experience; do stables and stuff count? Because i wouldnt be seeing any vets

Hi, my work exp detail can be viewed in my profile. I applied straight from school for the 2011 entry. My A2 grades now would preclude me from almost all vet schools sadly but I think my work exp would still cut the mustard.

If you could get one week minimum with a farm or equine vet that would be highly desirable for most vet schools, but especially those that place more emphasis on work exp like Liverpool. I had difficult finding large animal vets too and don't live in an area with many large animal vets. In the end I stayed with a family friend who dropped me off to an equine vets on his way to work - I would wake up at 3am and get there for 5am and stand outside their office door in the freezing cold until someone came 3 hrs later. So really, there aren't any excuses for saying there is nothing in your area because other people will manage to find things by broadening their horizons. This could involve staying in other parts of the country (B&B, camping, family, family friends) - there are lots of options available!
There is a website.. National Sheep Association, each year they put out requests for people to help with lambing, I called one vet and ask if they could recommend an equine vet and then the equine vet practice told me about the small animal hospital. I wrote to all of them and then followed it up by a phone call two weeks later. I googled 'large animal vet' in an area about 25 miles around the city I live and explained why I was needing the experience. The stables do count despite not seeing a vet because its about being familiar around animals and being able to handle them safely. I think Liverpool wants at least 4 weeks of experience in a vet setting but it doesn't specify what kinds of vet.
Original post by suofei

hi! what was the email address you used to apply for the work experience in London?
Reply 12
Original post by EllyBelly2207257
hi! what was the email address you used to apply for the work experience in London?

I can't find it now but if you go on the axiom veterinary laboratory website they have a list of email addresses. I just used to one that was based in London (vauxhall) :smile:

edit: i found the email address - [email protected]
It's not the London specific one, but they replied to me with the London email
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by suofei
I can't find it now but if you go on the axiom veterinary laboratory website they have a list of email addresses. I just used to one that was based in London (vauxhall) :smile:

edit: i found the email address - [email protected]
It's not the London specific one, but they replied to me with the London email

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! :smile::smile::smile:
so your doing the work experience end of this july?? could you tell me what its like and stuff, because I'm thinking of doing some work experience there but I'm not sure at the moment
Reply 14
Original post by EllyBelly2207257
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! :smile::smile::smile:
so your doing the work experience end of this july?? could you tell me what its like and stuff, because I'm thinking of doing some work experience there but I'm not sure at the moment

Im actually not doing it until the end of August, so I won't be able to give any info until then, sorry!
Original post by suofei
Im actually not doing it until the end of August, so I won't be able to give any info until then, sorry!

Dw, I look forward to hearing about it when you have the time!! Thanks again for your help:wink::wink:
Reply 16
hey i just got back from my first day at the lab :smile:

In the morning I just watched while all of the machines were set up and I cleaned some tables. Nothing much happens until 1:30 when the couriers start arriving with the samples, but they only ask you to come in for a full day once and after that only after lunch. Then in the afternoon I helped sort through the samples and label them and stuff as they were delivered from vet practices all across london. The next few days I'll be learning about all of the testing machines and how to prepare samples and stuff, so there's lots to do! :h:
Original post by suofei

In the morning I just watched while all of the machines were set up and I cleaned some tables. Nothing much happens until 1:30 when the couriers start arriving with the samples, but they only ask you to come in for a full day once and after that only after lunch. Then in the afternoon I helped sort through the samples and label them and stuff as they were delivered from vet practices all across london. The next few days I'll be learning about all of the testing machines and how to prepare samples and stuff, so there's lots to do! :h:

WOW!! That sounds so fun and interesting, cant wait to do work experience with them then:wink::wink: Thanks for letting me know and i hope you enjoy the rest of your experience!!
Original post by suofei

that sounds really good, I should be going for my first day tomorrow thanks to your suggestion! I forgot to mention I ended up booking with them a few months ago. hope it goes well!
There is a website.. National Sheep Association, each year they put out requests for people to help with lambing, I called one vet and ask if they could recommend an equine vet and then the equine vet practice told me about the small animal hospital. I wrote to all of them and then followed it up by a phone call two weeks later. I googled 'large animal vet' in an area about 25 miles around the city I live and explained why I was needing the experience. The stables do count despite not seeing a vet because its about being familiar around animals and being able to handle them safely. I think Liverpool wants at least 4 weeks of experience in a vet setting but it doesn't specify what kinds of vet.

ive heard this many times could you tell me where exactly on the NSA website they ask for lambing help? I cant find the place! thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending