The Student Room Group

Should Scottish Football switch to the summer?

Football is typically considered a winter sport, but North of the border it is always winter. There is talk today of the possibility of the Scottish leagues switching to the summer months, with apparently three quarters of teams in favour. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33028189

The benefits are mostly to do with fan interest. With many Scottish people also supporting English teams due to the higher quality, playing when English teams aren't playing would switch attention back to their own league and could reignite interest in Scottish football.

Also with Scotland being in the arctic circle, playing in the summer will reduce the risk of cancellations due to weather (but only slightly) and it will mean they may even be able to play when it's still light outside.

The biggest drawback, apart from "tradition", is the season being disrupted if Scotland qualify for a major tournament (lol, I know) but Brazil seem to cope just fine with that issue though, and their teams play a hell of a lot more games than Scottish teams with state championships and continental football.
Don't most of the Scottish national team play in England anyway?

I don't know, I'd rather watch amateur football than Scottish football. I don't care what they do
Put Celtic in the Premier league and then maybe top league Scottish football might be vaguely interesting.
Original post by joey11223
Put Celtic in the Premier league and then maybe top league Scottish football might be vaguely interesting.

I was gonna post a thread for this a while back about the Old Firm joining our league or just a merge of the Scottish leagues with ours.

I would like to see Celtic/Rangers playing against our clubs in league football and it'd be great for the other clubs too surely. Obviously for me it wouldn't be good because it'd be two more clubs we have to compete with that would probably be pushing us out of a top 6 place (I know we're **** at the moment but that's where we want to be).

Then again I don't want to see Celtic benefiting from our league and becoming stronger. Would rather see them rot in Scotland.

Would be interesting for a few years at least anyway.
Well isn't Scottish "summer" basically like a mild winter in Europe?
Original post by cBay
The biggest drawback, apart from "tradition", is the season being disrupted if Scotland qualify for a major tournament

Of the 37 outfield players to have been selected for Scotland in the past year, 7 play in the SPL, and half of them have 0 caps.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I was gonna post a thread for this a while back about the Old Firm joining our league or just a merge of the Scottish leagues with ours.

I would like to see Celtic/Rangers playing against our clubs in league football and it'd be great for the other clubs too surely. Obviously for me it wouldn't be good because it'd be two more clubs we have to compete with that would probably be pushing us out of a top 6 place (I know we're **** at the moment but that's where we want to be).

Then again I don't want to see Celtic benefiting from our league and becoming stronger. Would rather see them rot in Scotland.

Would be interesting for a few years at least anyway.

I like my Scottish Football because it just makes me smile thinking 300 odd people turnout for the likes of East Stirlingshire or Arbroath, even though they're probably awful.

Scottish Football has needed money for years, rather than just giving it to the big guns Celtic and Rangers. Possibly a good idea would be to merge the top division of English football with Scottish football, and then have a system of relegation back into their respective leagues, with 2 promotion spots for England and 1 for Scotland (or a playoff for the 3rd spot, each country has 1 definite spot). Scottish football does have quality, the likes of Aberdeen, Inverness and St Johnstone could all compete with the big guns, just if they had the investment there as well. Merging might not be the best idea, but a possibility.

Quick Reply

Latest