The Student Room Group

Malaysia says boobs cause earthquake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why is everyone getting more offended by the girl? There were a bunch of men getting their kit off too
Good for Malaysia. Keep them locked up for a few months and let it be a lesson for them and to every other asinine tourist who feels the need to disrespect a culture when travelling.
To be fair, a good pair of boobs certainly makes the earth move for me.
Reply 23
Let it all hang out...
Original post by Bill_Gates
pics or gtfo brah

There was one taken from behind.
Reply 25
Original post by Little Toy Gun
'There ain't no Danny Alexander in the House of Commons.' Me, 2k15

It's also a belief that there's freedom of expression.

There probably do do that in prison.

Freedom of expression doesn't mean you get the privilege to absolutely mock and ridicule somebody else's beliefs! If you think you can say anything you want under the stupid excuse of "freedom of speech", you are mistaken. Why, you must also be a racist!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Why are so many young people so disrespectful these days?

- a young person
Original post by Pra25
Freedom of expression doesn't mean you get the privilege to absolutely mock and ridicule somebody else's beliefs! If you think you can say anything you want under the stupid excuse of "freedom of speech", you are mistaken. Why, you must also be a racist!

lmfao. I'm oriental myself. Aaand I'm from the orient. So I'm 'racist' against...myself? This is without mentioning the fact that holding certain beliefs doesn't make someone a member of a 'race'. If you're uncertain what a 'race' is, you should consult the dictionary.

This is just a 'my belief is more valid than yours' argument - the belief that freedom of expression should be maintained is also a belief.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
lmfao. I'm oriental myself. Aaand I'm from the orient. So I'm 'racist' against...myself?

This is just a 'my belief is more valid than yours' argument - the belief that freedom of expression should be maintained is also a belief.

Didn't you get my point? If you believe in this freedom, then you must also think it's alright to be racist to someone, because by your logic you can say anything you want. Even if it's deeply offensive.
Also, so what if your Asian? I'm Asian too! And if anyone said anything disrespectful to my beliefs, I wouldn't be very happy!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Drewski
To be fair, a good pair of boobs certainly makes the earth move for me.

Hahaha😀
white-women.jpg

PLUS she probably did most of those guys afterwards at base camp, No wonder dose spirits waz pissed!
Original post by Pra25
Didn't you get my point? If you believe in this freedom, then you must also think it's alright to be racist to someone, because by your logic you can say anything you want. Even if it's deeply offensive.
Also, so what if your Asian? I'm Asian too! And if anyone said anything disrespectful to my beliefs, I wouldn't be very happy!

If that was your point you need to learn how to present your arguments better.

A racist comment is very different from a comment that offends a (religious) belief - you cannot change the race you were born into, but beliefs are ideas that can be changed and criticised.

And as I already have mentioned, the belief that freedom of expression should be upheld is a belief as well. If you think no-one should say anything disrespectful to anyone's belief, why are you disrespecting freedom of expression? It's only because you think your beliefs are more valid than others.
Reply 32
If that was your point you need to learn how to present your arguments better.

A racist comment is very different from a comment that offends a (religious) belief - you cannot change the race you were born into, but beliefs are ideas that can be changed and criticised.

And as I already have mentioned, the belief that freedom of expression should be upheld is a belief as well. If you think no-one should say anything disrespectful to anyone's belief, why are you disrespecting freedom of expression? It's only because you think your beliefs are more valid than others.

I can't believe I'm reading this! Your twisting my words so you can make a stronger argument. Did I ever say I disrespected freedom of speech? What I'm saying is (clearly this isn't getting inside your thick skull) if you believe in freedom of speech so passionately, then you should also be free to be racist, sexist, homophobic etc...

Initially, when I was disgusted by the disrespect of those students towards the tribe, you replied "freedom of speech". So your saying it's alright to mock somebody else because it's freedom of speech. In exactly the same way, this means it's also alright to mock someone because of their race, sexuality etc... Because you can say anything you want.

Then out of nowhere you tried to make me look like a disrespectful **** by saying that I was being disrespectful to the people who are being disrespectful!?!? I can't believe this garbage. You have clearly lost this argument and your trying to find any way to redeem yourself by making me look like the one that is being disrespectful.

Now please stop carrying on this argument for the sake of an argument. Bye,bye.
Ps. You need to learn how to present a relevant argument.
Original post by Pra25
I can't believe I'm reading this!

Then don't.

Original post by Pra25
You're twisting my words so you can make a stronger argument.

No, I didn't; I merely pointed out the undertone and/or implication behind your statements.

Original post by Pra25
Did I ever say I disrespected freedom of speech?

You didn't 'say' that, you did that. You're saying people cannot express themselves in a certain way if it offends people. News flash: People can find anything offensive.

Original post by Pra25
What I'm saying is (clearly this isn't getting inside your thick skull)

Woah woah random insult. Should I throw to you my academic qualifications as a comeback?

Original post by Pra25
if you believe in freedom of speech so passionately, then you should also be free to be racist, sexist, homophobic etc...

Which shows that you still are missing the point.

Your intellectual capacity is a bit limited, and you don't seem to understand that there requires a logical consistency in making arguments and rules.

Allow me to illustrate to you:
If your argument is that every behaviour that could be offensive to people should not be done, then all behaviour that could cause offence to people should not be done. This includes homosexual existing, women not covering their skin throughout, or pork being eaten.

But there is a difference between a comment against a belief or idea and a comment against a race:
A belief or idea is changeable, not innate, and could be objectively right or wrong.
A race is not biologically changeable, is innate, and could not be objectively right or wrong.

Thus, a belief or idea, whether it's the idea of democracy, or the idea that the Sun revolves around the Earth, can be criticised and disrespected; whilst someone being black cannot be criticised and should be respected.

By writing this plainly to you, I'm showing my confidence in your intellect in comprehending this. Please don't let me down!

Original post by Pra25
Initially, when I was disgusted by the disrespect of those students towards the tribe, you replied "freedom of speech".

Is that supposed to be a direct quote? Because I've never said that. Try using the search function on your browser.

Original post by Pra25
So you're saying it's alright to mock somebody else because it's freedom of speech.

I said somebody's ideas or beliefs. Who's twisting someone's words here? Or rather, how could you possibly comprehend what I think thoroughly based on just one statement that mentioned nothing like that?

Original post by Pra25
In exactly the same way, this means it's also alright to mock someone because of their race, sexuality etc... Because you can say anything you want.

When have I ever said that?

An analogy for your claim:
Cartoonists killed due to drawing for The Prophet.
'There's freedom of expression!'
Your shout: 'OMG YOUR SAYING FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION HAS NO LIMITS WHATSOEVER AND PEOPLE CAN DRAW WHATEVER THEY WANT EVER IF IT'S RACIST OR HOMOPHOBIC.'

And in your truest fashion, you'd also call other people for twisting your words when you're the only one who's doing that.
Reply 34
Very disrespectful girl, i do hope she is never allowed to forget this. Embarassing on herself, shameful to her family, disrespectful to all the people of Malaysia.
Talking to the guide in the way she did was out of order, and to basically insult the entire nation- what a joke.
I hope she suffers the consequences if this for a long time.
I have Malaysian friends...they wake up early every morning to help litter picking ...they live in UK but are so respectful.

We are talking about it from different angles.
I mooned the entire population of France form the top of Mount Blanc. Nothing happened, no one gave a toss.

What is more interesting is that people are far more concerned with being self-righteous over a girl getting her knockers out than an earthquake that killed 18 people.
Original post by Quantex
I mooned the entire population of France form the top of Mount Blanc. Nothing happened, no one gave a toss.

What is more interesting is that people are far more concerned with being self-righteous over a girl getting her knockers out than an earthquake that killed 18 people.

Mount Blanc isn't sacred, if you moon at people from Saint Peter's Basilica, Christians will kill you. The mountain is sacred to the Malaysian people, so they really aren't over reacting. The people disrespected their culture, and that's why the're angry
Original post by Xiuchen
Mount Blanc isn't sacred, if you moon at people from Saint Peter's Basilica, Christians will kill you. The mountain is sacred to the Malaysian people, so they really aren't over reacting. The people disrespected their culture, and that's why the're angry

Firstly, no, you won't be killed for mooning in the Vatican City. Christianity had moved on from such barbarism.

Secondly, Westerners will have been tramping up the mountain to take their kegs off for a long time. Just this time someone reported it after the earthquake. Hence the outrage which has overshadowed the deaths of people. Malaysia has a problem with natural disasters, particularly landslides and flooding. Poor infrastructure and crappy buildings contribute to the death toll. I'd consider that something to get angry about. By comparison, a bit of nakedness is nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending