The Student Room Group

What happened to CAS? confused

Hi guys,
did you hear that we no longer need to do 150 hours of CAS? and they renamed action to activity?
even my CAS teacher doesn't understand it fully and I'm the one who's confused!!

:s-smilie:
Original post by elleIB
Hi guys,
did you hear that we no longer need to do 150 hours of CAS? and they renamed action to activity?
even my CAS teacher doesn't understand it fully and I'm the one who's confused!!

The 150 hour requirement hasn't been there for a while now, and as far as I know Action is still Action. I just took my exams in May so maybe that's changing for next year though I highly doubt it. For my school's CAS we were just required to write reflections which showed constant engagement with different activities across the two years and show how we attained the learning outcomes that the IB has set out for CAS as a whole.
Reply 2
Original post by localblackguy

The 150 hour requirement hasn't been there for a while now, and as far as I know Action is still Action. I just took my exams in May so maybe that's changing for next year though I highly doubt it. For my school's CAS we were just required to write reflections which showed constant engagement with different activities across the two years and show how we attained the learning outcomes that the IB has set out for CAS as a whole.

In my school, all they care about is just doing as many CAS hours as possible!
I have 0 action and I'm freaking out !!
Original post by elleIB
In my school, all they care about is just doing as many CAS hours as possible!
I have 0 action and I'm freaking out !!

Well they don't have an entirely wrong approach considering more hours generally means that you're doing more CAS, which generally means you have a more constant engagement. Just remember that activities don't necessarily only fit in just either Creativity, Action or Service - they often overlap. If you still have 0 action, I guess you better get started :tongue:
I will be starting IB this year; at my school they have talked to us about a CAS project and something about the program being changed? Is it the entire CAS system changed or is it only my school that's making us do the project? I'm very confused!! :s-smilie:
Original post by chantilly13
I will be starting IB this year; at my school they have talked to us about a CAS project and something about the program being changed? Is it the entire CAS system changed or is it only my school that's making us do the project? I'm very confused!! :s-smilie:

I just finished, and everyone in my year was part of a CAS project (two projects for some) so this much isn't new. According to this, there's a new CAS guide being published for September 2015 so any changes to that guide will apply to all IB students starting from then on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending