The Student Room Group

Leeds A100 Applicants 2016 Entry

Hello lovely people and welcome to the Leeds A100 Applicants page for 2016 entry!

For Leeds 2014 entry there were approximately 3800 applicants competing for around 218 direct entry places. Leeds look at 1000 personal statements and invite approximately 500 candidates to an MMI Interview (Interview detailshere).

Minimum Entry Requirements:

GCSEs:
At least 6 grade B's must be offered in Maths, English Language and the sciences

A-Levels:
AAA inc. Chemistry
General studies and critical thinking not acceptedCertain combinations not accepted, such as:

Chemistry with Biology and Human Biology

Chemistry with Maths and Further Maths

More information on minimum entry requirement and alternative qualifications can be found here ALSO remember that just meeting these requirements doesn't guarantee an interview MOST applicants meet and exceed them! Your application is scrutinised further, details of which can be found in "The Selection Process" section.

Admissions Tests:
Leeds no longer use the UKCAT as part of their selection process, ALL applicants must take the BMAT to be considered. Past papers and information can be found here
"The BMAT is administered by the Admissions Testing Service. It is a paper-based test delivered in schools and accredited testing centres world-wide. Leeds School of Medicine will be using BMAT in its admissions process for all applicants applying in the 2014/15 cycle and beyond. We are still assessing how best to use it but we do not intend to operate a "cut-off threshold" below which we would not consider an application; instead we intend to use performance in individual test sections to help us assess applicants with "non-traditional" educational backgrounds. In future, for "traditional" applicants, we will take it into account alongside previous and predicted academic performance, personal statements and references.Our current intention is to weight it as much as we weighted UKCAT i.e. about 15% on the weight given to GCSEs and half the weight given to the personal statement. All applicants for medicine at Leeds must sit the BMAT in the academic session in which they apply. For the current session, the BMAT will take place on November 5th 2014."

The Selection Process:Im aware this is turning into a chunky piece of writing so I'm adding a link below which will take you to the Leeds selection process PDF which is shown on open days in powerpoint form, it has all the information you could ever want regarding the whole admissions process! Find it in the 2015/2016 Admissions documents on the downloads page belowAnd because it will make your lives easier, the downloads page has some great advice on writing your PS as well as lots of information that is hard to cram into my attempt of a brief summary!
Student Life:Everything you need to know about life on campus can be found here
So, Good Luck with your applications guys; feel free to post your stats, any questions you may have and any corrections regarding this chunk of text!

Leeds Medicine Website here

(got this info from previous 2015 thread)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello lovely people and welcome to the Leeds A100 Applicants page for 2016 entry!

For Leeds 2014 entry there were approximately 3800 applicants competing for around 218 direct entry places. Leeds look at 1000 personal statements and invite approximately 500 candidates to an MMI Interview (Interview detailshere).

Minimum Entry Requirements:

GCSEs:
At least 6 grade B's must be offered in Maths, English Language and the sciences

A-Levels:
AAA inc. Chemistry
General studies and critical thinking not acceptedCertain combinations not accepted, such as:

Chemistry with Biology and Human Biology

Chemistry with Maths and Further Maths

More information on minimum entry requirement and alternative qualifications can be found here ALSO remember that just meeting these requirements doesn't guarantee an interview MOST applicants meet and exceed them! Your application is scrutinised further, details of which can be found in "The Selection Process" section.

Admissions Tests:
Leeds no longer use the UKCAT as part of their selection process, ALL applicants must take the BMAT to be considered. Past papers and information can be found here
"The BMAT is administered by the Admissions Testing Service. It is a paper-based test delivered in schools and accredited testing centres world-wide. Leeds School of Medicine will be using BMAT in its admissions process for all applicants applying in the 2014/15 cycle and beyond. We are still assessing how best to use it but we do not intend to operate a "cut-off threshold" below which we would not consider an application; instead we intend to use performance in individual test sections to help us assess applicants with "non-traditional" educational backgrounds. In future, for "traditional" applicants, we will take it into account alongside previous and predicted academic performance, personal statements and references.Our current intention is to weight it as much as we weighted UKCAT i.e. about 15% on the weight given to GCSEs and half the weight given to the personal statement. All applicants for medicine at Leeds must sit the BMAT in the academic session in which they apply. For the current session, the BMAT will take place on November 5th 2014."

The Selection Process:Im aware this is turning into a chunky piece of writing so I'm adding a link below which will take you to the Leeds selection process PDF which is shown on open days in powerpoint form, it has all the information you could ever want regarding the whole admissions process! Find it in the 2015/2016 Admissions documents on the downloads page belowAnd because it will make your lives easier, the downloads page has some great advice on writing your PS as well as lots of information that is hard to cram into my attempt of a brief summary!
Student Life:Everything you need to know about life on campus can be found here
So, Good Luck with your applications guys; feel free to post your stats, any questions you may have and any corrections regarding this chunk of text!

Leeds Medicine Website here

(got this info from previous 2015 thread) and posted it in to the wrong section hopefully this time will get people posting here
Reply 2
I'll hopefully be applying to Leeds, I'm going to the open day on the 20th June
Reply 3
Original post by Whizbox
I'll hopefully be applying to Leeds, I'm going to the open day on the 20th June

I'm going to hopefully go on the 26th June :smile:
Reply 4
Doesn't anyone want to go to Leeds??
Reply 5
I do! I'm going to the open day on Friday. What other uni's are you considering???
Reply 6
I'm going on the 26th and I'm considering Leeds, Shefield Uni, Manchester Uni and York and for my final option Bradford Uni and you can transfer to Leeds
Hey guys I got an offer for medicine for Leeds this year - if you have any questions do ask :smile:
For those of you that are considering the MBChB at the University of Leeds Medical School you may be interested in our Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine BSc (Hons).

The Foundation in Clinical Sciences/Medicine BSc (Hons) provides students with the option of progressing onto the first year of our Clinical Sciences course as well as enabling up to 40 students who meet widening participation criteria the option of progressing onto the MBChB at the University of Leeds Medical School via a widening participation collaborative link. (Please see our website for further details about the course and the transfer and widening participation criteria).

If you have any specific queries relating to this collaborative course or the University of Bradford in general please feel free to post them below or PM me. You're also more than welcome to email our Admissions Team directly at [email protected]

Best of luck to you all and I hope you’ve found this information useful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by lulagirl15
Hey guys I got an offer for medicine for Leeds this year - if you have any questions do ask :smile:

What does the application process include and if you don't mind could you give me some pointers for writing the personal statement, and was there anything you used to help you study for the BMAT?
Reply 10
Does anyone know how many people applied to Leeds this year? I've heard it was considerably lower than usual due to the introduction of BMAT
Original post by hideNfreak
What does the application process include and if you don't mind could you give me some pointers for writing the personal statement, and was there anything you used to help you study for the BMAT?

Hey so you know you gotta do the BMAT around October, and you've got to write a personal statement - then around January you do a MMI interview and offers are handed out around mid Feb.

They grade you according to how well you do for each section and thats how they invite to interview - you are ranked on your academics (full marks for 8A* at gcse or 4As at AS level), your personal statement and your BMAT score.

I've attached the guideance Leeds give out RE personal statement.

Hope this helps. Leeds is really great, I hope you made the open day today! I loved it when I went
Reply 12

Hello :smile:

What advice what you give to prospective students on preparation for MMI? Material to read and what was your experience like?

Thanks
Reply 13
Hey so you know you gotta do the BMAT around October, and you've got to write a personal statement - then around January you do a MMI interview and offers are handed out around mid Feb.

They grade you according to how well you do for each section and thats how they invite to interview - you are ranked on your academics (full marks for 8A* at gcse or 4As at AS level), your personal statement and your BMAT score.

Hope this helps. Leeds is really great, I hope you made the open day today! I loved it when I went

This is incorrect, they stated on their open day that for 2016 entry it's 9 A*s at GCSE or 3As at AS for full academic marks, then 3As prediction for full predicted grades marks
Reply 14

Hello,

If you don't mind please can u indicate what sort of bmat score you got? It's just that they say on their website they have no cut off for it so I'm curious about what they accept.
Original post by cb103
Hello,

If you don't mind please can u indicate what sort of bmat score you got? It's just that they say on their website they have no cut off for it so I'm curious about what they accept.

wowww its been so long but I remember getting the results and thinking I'd done so S*** but they gave me an interview so can't have been that bad.

4A
Reply 16
wowww its been so long but I remember getting the results and thinking I'd done so S*** but they gave me an interview so can't have been that bad.

4A

Thank you!

Leeds Medical School has been my number one choice ever since I decided that I want to be a doctor. If I was to get a place, I would literally be the happiest person ever! I think that I'll be able to work for a good BMAT score and I satisfy the minimum academic requirements, but they seem to be a lot more picky than other places in terms of the personal statement. One person said he was rejected simply for not showing any evidence of manual dexterity. I have done my first draft and it has the usual stuff like work experience, volunteering etc. that they ask for, so is there anything else which you included that you think was particularly crucial to you getting an offer?
Original post by monstergirl
Leeds Medical School has been my number one choice ever since I decided that I want to be a doctor. If I was to get a place, I would literally be the happiest person ever! I think that I'll be able to work for a good BMAT score and I satisfy the minimum academic requirements, but they seem to be a lot more picky than other places in terms of the personal statement. One person said he was rejected simply for not showing any evidence of manual dexterity. I have done my first draft and it has the usual stuff like work experience, volunteering etc. that they ask for, so is there anything else which you included that you think was particularly crucial to you getting an offer?

Manual dexterity? Did he apply for Dentistry by any chance? They don't ask about manual dexterity now, as far as I know.
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Manual dexterity? Did he apply for Dentistry by any chance? They don't ask about manual dexterity now, as far as I know.

That was my initial reaction too, as no other med school asks about it. But he applird 6 ys ago.

Quick Reply

Latest