The Student Room Group

Want to go to cambridge but parents don't support it. Do I apply anyway?

Ok, so I've wantd to go to Cambridge but I know my parents don't support me, they have often influenced things in my life because of how they are, and I've had enough of it, but I also don't want to regret it, if I do get in because maybe they have a point...

I've been getting A's and B's in mocks for my AS Levels so we'll see what happens on results day but I should be able to get the grades needed.
I'll be studying Psychological and behavioural sciences course if I go.

The question is do I go for it, or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asymetricalwings
Ok, so I've wantd to go to Cambridge but I know my parents don't support me, they have often influenced things in my life because of how they are, and I've had enough of it, but I also don't want to regret it, if I do get in because maybe they have a point...

I've been getting A's and B's in mocks for my AS Levels so we'll see what happens on results day but I should be able to get the grades needed.

You can have up to five choices so perhaps it's worth putting Cambridge as one so you still have four 'safe' choices to back you up. Only problem is your parents might not want to take you to interviews etc., but my advice is to apply for it anyway because there's no harm in trying, and perhaps you'll surprise yourself and your parents. Good luck!
I'm in a very similar position to you at the moment but I will still apply if I get the grades :smile:
It will be hard because they won't want to take me to the interview if I get one, but thankfully I have other family members who are extremely supportive.
I know how you feel though :frown: It's pretty tough and demotivating
PM me if you want to talk more :smile:
If you're getting Bs at AS level then no. Hate to break it to you but you need to hitting top marks - 85% UMS minimum which are high As
Original post by Brownclown
If you're getting Bs at AS level then no. Hate to break it to you but you need to hitting top marks - 85% UMS minimum which are high As

Doesn't matter if the B is an unrelated subject (which I am assuming it is for OP) :smile:
I'd definitely apply - it's only one of 5 choices after all and in the end, it's your life not theirs. If you want to go there, you'll probably regret it if you feel forced into not applying

good luck :smile:
Original post by enaayrah
Doesn't matter if the B is an unrelated subject (which I am assuming it is for OP) :smile:

That's true but OP said Bs plural
That's true but OP said Bs plural

Fair point. Maybe they're doing more than 4 AS Levels, with 2 unrelated?
[QUOTE=enaayrah;57103029]Fair point. Maybe they're doing more than 4 AS Levels, with 2 unrelated?

Cambridge still require minimum A*AA in three subjects, so OP needs at least three high As
Cambridge still require minimum A*AA in three subjects, so OP needs at least three high As

I mean, maybe they've been getting, say AAABB, and they can get the A*AA with those three As in related subjects? :smile:

We can only find out when OP replies :tongue:
I just decided to go for it in the end, even though I kinda knew my UMS wasn't going to be realistically high enough. I didn't get an interview in the end, but some people with slightly higher UMS did...and I still reckon I would have regretted it if I didn't apply, so yeah why not give it a go and see what happens...you have 5 choices for a reason
Original post by dlwilson97
You can have up to five choices so perhaps it's worth putting Cambridge as one so you still have four 'safe' choices to back you up. Only problem is your parents might not want to take you to interviews etc., but my advice is to apply for it anyway because there's no harm in trying, and perhaps you'll surprise yourself and your parents. Good luck!

Thanks. I tried bringing it up with them yesturday but they just change the topic. Hopefully they'll take me to the interview, if I get one that is. If not I can always find some other way to get there.
I'm in a very similar position to you at the moment but I will still apply if I get the grades :smile:
It will be hard because they won't want to take me to the interview if I get one, but thankfully I have other family members who are extremely supportive.
I know how you feel though :frown: It's pretty tough and demotivating
PM me if you want to talk more :smile:

Thanks :smile: I don;t really see many of my other family members so I don't know what they'd think about it.

I got a B in my English mocks and one of my Business mocks.
I got A's in everything else.
Apparently you can still get an A at A2 with a high B at AS.
Original post by ifyouseelaura
I'd definitely apply - it's only one of 5 choices after all and in the end, it's your life not theirs. If you want to go there, you'll probably regret it if you feel forced into not applying

good luck :smile:

Thanks I know I will regret it if I don't and and likely to have the grades for it
I mean, maybe they've been getting, say AAABB, and they can get the A*AA with those three As in related subjects? :smile:

We can only find out when OP replies :tongue:

We did so many mocks it is was actially unreal.
I got A's in psychology. I got an A overall in law
Business I've mainly been getting A's but some B's
And in English my grades have been all over the place.

I'm hoping I'll beable to bump up english to an A next year if I got a B.
Original post by yelllowribbon
I just decided to go for it in the end, even though I kinda knew my UMS wasn't going to be realistically high enough. I didn't get an interview in the end, but some people with slightly higher UMS did...and I still reckon I would have regretted it if I didn't apply, so yeah why not give it a go and see what happens...you have 5 choices for a reason

Fair enough. I think I'll go for it if I get mainly A's this year, or maybe if I get a really high B in something. We'll see. We had some really strange exams this year. They asked things that have never been asked before.
Original post by Asymetricalwings

If you get high As ad predicted at least A*AA/A*A*A then of course you should consider applying. If slightly less could give it a try but unlikely to get an interview.

Why exactly aren't your parents supporting you on this?
Definitely apply. You'd regret it otherwise. No point in speculating on your chances at this stage with grades etc. just do your best and prepare well for interview if you get one, and book a travelodge room well in advance :tongue:
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
If you get high As ad predicted at least A*AA/A*A*A then of course you should consider applying. If slightly less could give it a try but unlikely to get an interview.

Why exactly aren't your parents supporting you on this?

I don't know why they aren't supporting it really. they've never given a reason for it they just don't. Mum wants be to go to Bath which has exactly the same entry requirements for psychology as Cambridge so If I have a shot of getting in there then I should have a chance of atleast getting an interview at Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending