The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

What should I expect living here? (International Student)

Hi!

I'm planning on studying in University of Birmingham as one of my choices in pursuing an undergrad degree in Management; however, I've never been to UK.

Just a little background information, I am from the bustling city of Indonesia - Jakarta. It is a rather fast-paced area with our main transportation being cars. (think Dubai) We have dozens of malls surrounding our city and our usual activities revolves around the cities and sophisticated restaurants. There are tons of nightlife around but I'm not too fond of that haha. To explore some nature, we have to take a 3-hour car ride out of town so you can say that we didn't really grow up immersed in greenery.

I've noticed most of the posters here are people who live in UK or have been there at least once, so..

What should I expect when I move to Birmingham?
What is your main transportation?
Any pointers I should keep note of?
Reply 1
Original post by missetudex
Hi!

I'm planning on studying in University of Birmingham as one of my choices in pursuing an undergrad degree in Management; however, I've never been to UK.

Just a little background information, I am from the bustling city of Indonesia - Jakarta. It is a rather fast-paced area with our main transportation being cars. (think Dubai) We have dozens of malls surrounding our city and our usual activities revolves around the cities and sophisticated restaurants. There are tons of nightlife around but I'm not too fond of that haha. To explore some nature, we have to take a 3-hour car ride out of town so you can say that we didn't really grow up immersed in greenery.

I've noticed most of the posters here are people who live in UK or have been there at least once, so..

What should I expect when I move to Birmingham?
What is your main transportation?
Any pointers I should keep note of?

As someone who went to an international school in Manila for my high school years, I'd say the biggest difference you'd have to get used to is using public transport. I remember when I was living abroad, the public transport over there is so rubbish you're always chauffeured in a car whether it be your own or a taxi. This is definitely not the case in the UK and as a student I doubt you'd have the luxury of being in a car most of the time. Also, there's a lot more walking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
I'm totally fine using public transport because I visit Singapore a lot (I have family there) and I actually prefer public transportation to cars hahah

What is Birmingham like? Is it very dirty? (read that online haha)
Can you still find generic shops there such as H&M or is it like the countryside?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

I'm totally fine using public transport because I visit Singapore a lot (I have family there) and I actually prefer public transportation to cars hahah

What is Birmingham like? Is it very dirty? (read that online haha)

Can you still find generic shops there such as H&M or is it like the countryside?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good, those of my friends from that international school who ended up coming here for uni found it difficult to adjust to getting around without their drivers haha

I don't live in Birmingham but from what I've seen on visits there it's definitely not the countryside, it is a proper city so yes, they do have shops like H&M. There's a shopping centre called Bullring which has basically everything in terms of shopping;it even has a Selfridges if you can afford it. It's also got a proper international airport which obviously may be an important factor for you. Although the campus is not situated in the city as its a campus uni - it is a short train ride away from the city centre like <10mins away. There is a place really close to the uni called Selly Oak that has loads of supermarkets and some takeaways, eating places etc. So there are places to go where you can get the necessities without having to go to the city centre.

I didn't really think Birmingham was dirty, it seemed fairly similar to where I'm from (Manchester). It's a nice city, obviously it's got some rough parts (like every other city), and I've always felt safe when I was there. The campus itself is situated in a nice area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by goodwinning
That's good, those of my friends from that international school who ended up coming here for uni found it difficult to adjust to getting around without their drivers haha

I don't live in Birmingham but from what I've seen on visits there it's definitely not the countryside, it is a proper city so yes, they do have shops like H&M. There's a shopping centre called Bullring which has basically everything in terms of shopping;it even has a Selfridges if you can afford it. It's also got a proper international airport which obviously may be an important factor in you. Although the campus is not situated in the city as its a campus uni - it is a short train ride away from the city centre like <10mins away. There is a place really close to the uni called Selly Oak that has loads of supermarkets and some takeaways, eating places etc. So there are places to go where you can get the necessities without having to go to the city centre.

I didn't really think Birmingham was dirty, it seemed fairly similar to where I'm from (Manchester). It's a nice city, obviously it's got some rough parts (like every other city), and I've always felt safe when I was there. The campus itself is situated in a nice area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, I feel so much more at ease after reading your post hahaha
Are the living costs in Birmingham similar to London's?
Reply 5
Original post by missetudex
Wow, I feel so much more at ease after reading your post hahaha
Are the living costs in Birmingham similar to London's?

No worries :smile: choosing which university to go to is already a difficult decision to make - the fact that you're doing it without being able to go on a proper visit first makes it that bit trickier. And I know what it's like moving abroad.

Birmingham certainly isn't cheap but it is cheaper than London, the reason for that being London living costs are astronomical compared to everywhere else. There's a reason why UK students studying in London get more money from student finance for living costs.

If you have any more questions, feel free to message me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending