The Student Room Group

How does medium of instruction affect the knowledge you gain?

We all learn subjects in a given language. In the UK, you would learn Biology in English. In Germany, you would learn Biology in German. My question is, how does medium of instruction (the language in which the subject is taught in), affect the knowledge you gain?

Surely you gain the identical conceptual knowledge, as that can't be changed in any way. However I feel your linguistic knowledge is not the same, you learn technical terms restricted to the medium of instruction.

Therefore is it fair to say, medium of instruction changes the overall knowledge you gain?
BUMP
A half remembered story about a problem that was baffling scientists in a US (genetics?) lab but which seemed only very simple to a visiting German(?), and that because the German(?) language makes no distinction between forelegs and hindlegs OR (what seems more German) obliges a person always to say forelegs or hindlegs when referring to a quadruped. Or something.

Someone will know what I'm on about. But is this the kind of thing you were asking after?
Original post by cambio wechsel
A half remembered story about a problem that was baffling scientists in a US (genetics?) lab but which seemed only very simple to a visiting German(?), and that because the German(?) language makes no distinction between forelegs and hindlegs OR (what seems more German) obliges a person always to say forelegs or hindlegs when referring to a quadruped. Or something.

Someone will know what I'm on about. But is this the kind of thing you were asking after?

Kind of. What I mean is your whole education life is influenced by concepts and new technical terms. These technical terms are heavily restricted to the medium of instruction (what language is used to teach the subject/s). So surely these technical terms form a part of your knowledge. A dutch maths student would never have heard of "completing the square". He would be aware of the concept of completing the square and the equivalent dutch translation.
Ask Dynamo.
Original post by IAMADAM27
Ask Dynamo.

Who is Dynamo?
Bumpp
Bump
Bump
Original post by EPluribus Unum
Kind of. What I mean is your whole education life is influenced by concepts and new technical terms. These technical terms are heavily restricted to the medium of instruction (what language is used to teach the subject/s). So surely these technical terms form a part of your knowledge. A dutch maths student would never have heard of "completing the square". He would be aware of the concept of completing the square and the equivalent dutch translation.

Isn't that just how languages work?..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending