The Student Room Group

A-level as an older student

I've been researching around on this but it's not so clear. I've heard I can do my A-levels at private institutions, such as Campbell Harris, but I'm confused as to whether I actually go in an study 5 days a week or I hire a private tutor and turn up for exams.

Anyway I want to redo my A-levels in London, but I'm not sure how to go about it as I'm hoping to physics, biology, maths and chemistry. But the fact that the science subjects are not all exam confuses me as to how I am to complete.

help please?
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I've been researching around on this but it's not so clear. I've heard I can do my A-levels at private institutions, such as Campbell Harris, but I'm confused as to whether I actually go in an study 5 days a week or I hire a private tutor and turn up for exams.

Anyway I want to redo my A-levels in London, but I'm not sure how to go about it as I'm hoping to physics, biology, maths and chemistry. But the fact that the science subjects are not all exam confuses me as to how I am to complete.

help please?

Don't know about Campbell Harris. But as a private candidate you won't be given tuition, your fees will only cover exam costs. But you should be able to find a college/school somewhere in London which will take you full time to do your A-levels, which will be loads easier as you wanted do science.
If however, you're at a private institution this just means it doesn't offer the state education (I.e. Everyone pays) so you would go in for lessons etc.

Biology, chemistry and physics all have practical exams you need to complete and which must be invigilated in a school/college and submitted to the exam board. I believe AQA do a biology syllabus in which private candidates can do something other than the practical exams. I don't know about the others though.

This year is a difficult year as A-levels are transitioning back to the old days when the AS qualification will no longer exist. So if you start the new syllabus you won't take any exams until summer 2017. Or you try to take the old syllabus all in one year to sit all of your AS and A2 exams next summer. I'm sure it's been done, but you'd have to be insanely bright and have all waking hours and very good tutors available to you.

It would probably be easier to find a college you can attend full time, if you can afford to do it. Then you'll get tuition, exam fees and practicals included.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SuperCat007
Don't know about Campbell Harris. But as a private candidate you won't be given tuition, your fees will only cover exam costs. But you should be able to find a college/school somewhere in London which will take you full time to do your A-levels, which will be loads easier as you wanted do science.
If however, you're at a private institution this just means it doesn't offer the state education (I.e. Everyone pays) so you would go in for lessons etc.

Biology, chemistry and physics all have practical exams you need to complete and which must be invigilated in a school/college and submitted to the exam board. I believe AQA do a biology syllabus in which private candidates can do something other than the practical exams. I don't know about the others though.

This year is a difficult year as A-levels are transitioning back to the old days when the AS qualification will no longer exist. So if you start the new syllabus you won't take any exams until summer 2017. Or you try to take the old syllabus all in one year to sit all of your AS and A2 exams next summer. I'm sure it's been done, but you'd have to be insanely bright and have all waking hours and very good tutors available to you.

It would probably be easier to find a college you can attend full time, if you can afford to do it. Then you'll get tuition, exam fees and practicals included.

Thanks. I've just been reading about the changes taking place at A-levels but nothing specific has been made. All I'm sure of is that the AS level and A-level will be separate qualifications and also that it's now end of year exams - which is something I prefer.

So is there anything else I've missed about the A-level changes?

Also how much do you believe it will cost for tuitions for redoing A-levels? I've just been searching and only finding external exam candidate costs only.
Thanks. I've just been reading about the changes taking place at A-levels but nothing specific has been made. All I'm sure of is that the AS level and A-level will be separate qualifications and also that it's now end of year exams - which is something I prefer.

Also how much do you believe it will cost for tuitions for redoing A-levels? I've just been searching and only finding external exam candidate costs only.

No, they were the changes in 2013 to get rid of January exams. The new changes (if they go ahead) will remove the AS qualification and there will only be the whole A-level qualification at the end of 2 years of study.

You need to ask tutors/the college you want to attend. I'm a long way from London, but colleges around here charge anything from £600 per A-level to £3000 per A-level.
Reply 4
C.I.E (Cambridge International Examination) board offer A level for Private Candidate across the world but I'm not sure about U.K!

Posted from TSR Mobile

From my own research it almost impossible to find a level tuition for over 19s.

I ended up doing them myself and as long as you dont need lab time its quite easy. Just get the books and book the exams.Just need to be disciplined and it will save you a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending