The Student Room Group

Oxford Uni Open Day

DID ANY1 ELSE GO UP TO THE OPEN DAY ON THE 2/3 OF JULY. WENT UP ON WED, STAYED AT PEMBROKE OVERNIGHT, AND CAME BACK DOWN NEXT DAY. THE TOWN WAS PRETTY COOL, AND A LOT BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE WITH LOADS OF COOL PUBS, AND FRIENDLY PEOPLE. I WAS WORRIED IT WOULD BE FULL OF UGLY GEEKS, AND BOOKSHOPS.
THE UNI WASN'T BAD EITHER!
Reply 1
lol...my brother just finished his first year there *how many times have I said that on this board?!* and he loves the town etc etc...he is very involved in an RPG society and I think there are loads of clubs and things you can join up to (I don't know whether they were pitching at the open day or if that's later on?)
There's bound to be something for what you're into but I daresay that's true for any uni

Why would being intelligent make the oxforders 'ugly'? *sigh*

What course are you going for and which colleges do you like?
Reply 2
i went on thursday + stayed overnight in balliol- i also really liked it + it's such a gorgeous city- but does anyone else feel like you're not quite in the real world there? it's just such a nice place... i thought everyone would be geeky but they weren't + we did a lot of man-hunting (v v good results).

what courses did u look at phil? i looked at the maths + the psychology.
Hey guys My friend went to the Oxford open day (I went to Cambridge cos its just better) and he got lost and met Bill Clinton!! No joke apparently he was there for some presentation and he had loads of security with suits and sunglasses and earpeaces. That would have been surreal
Reply 4
Originally posted by It'sPhil...
Hey guys My friend went to the Oxford open day (I went to Cambridge cos its just better) and he got lost and met Bill Clinton!! No joke apparently he was there for some presentation and he had loads of security with suits and sunglasses and earpeaces. That would have been surreal

there was some fancy dinner at balliol + he went + cos we were staying at balliol (which is where it was) we had to eat in another college. there were a few bodyguard people around, but not as many as we expected- we jus had to wear identity tags while we were in the college, but no one ever bothered to look to see who we were- they didn't mind us hanging around the college all evening as long as we didn't go in the hall. honestly, if we hadn't been told he was coming we'd have just thought it was a fairly posh meal, but nothing that special.
Reply 5
sorry for the delay in replying guys. i was looking at Economics and management at Pembroke probably, but I am not to fussed about which college I go to, as long as I get in.
I think clinton was there for that Rhodes scholars reunion, cause when I went to look at Christ Church, there was a sign pointing towards the reunion, and the guards wouldn't let you stand outside this place, because apparently Clinton and Mandela where about to arrive.
But it really was a wicked town, and quite a laugh. I had no idea there'd be so many quality pubs, bars, etc.

Phil
Reply 6
Originally posted by PHIL
had no idea there'd be so many quality pubs, bars, etc.

Phil

and a rather nice late-night ice-cream parlour too I hear :P
Reply 7
You talking about the one near pembroke??
Are you looking at oxford also, and if so when, where, and for what course????

Phil
Reply 8
Originally posted by Egan1
and a rather nice late-night ice-cream parlour too I hear :P

yey, we went there! they do nice ice cream...the coffee shops in oxford rock as well, but from the 1 in waterstones DON'T get their mango farppacino- it's foul, get summer fruits instead : )

it was the rhodes scholars' dinner- i was told that at some stage, but forgot- all the women had horrid dresses on- but ti was fun to spy.
Reply 9
Did you go to the Wig & Pen, which was in a road opposite warterstones I think. It was well nice in there, and I think I spent more time in there than at the actual college. There was also quite a nice Bar near Pembroke called Club Med, the only thing was that there was a private party on downstairs, so it wasn't as good as it could have been, as we had to stay upstairs, and therte weren't that many people.

Cheers,
Phil

Latest

Trending

Trending