The Student Room Group

If you were rich would you work/go to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by games211
so would you go to uni/work?

It depends on exactly how much i had. If it was enough to live off comfortably for life without ever having to worry about running out of money, then no i wouldnt. Id just spend my time doing voluntary work or something.
If it was less money (but still making me rich) then depending on how much money it was, id still probably end up still working, perhaps just part time or something.
Reply 61
Original post by Anonynmous
Probably. Obviously go on sabbaticals every so often...

It's boring when you got nothing to do sometimes.

Lol If I was rich rich I would not be bored tho
I'd probably study a mickey mouse degree for the bants since I won't be too worried about getting a job :wink:
I think I'd definitely want to go to uni and I think probably work (maybe as an academic since money wouldn't be a problem). Not doing anything for the rest of my life would just drive me insane though.
Reply 64
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I'd probably study a mickey mouse degree for the bants since I won't be too worried about getting a job :wink:

lool then why do you a degree at all?
Reply 65
Original post by Jodie99
I think I'd definitely want to go to uni and I think probably work (maybe as an academic since money wouldn't be a problem). Not doing anything for the rest of my life would just drive me insane though.

My last exam was two weeks ago and IM GOING INSANE!!!!!!!!!
lool then why do you a degree at all?

You do a degree to make yourself more employable, get yourself up there to earn a lot of
£

£

£

But if you've already got the money, what's the point unless you really want to learn a seriously academic subject for fun? :ninja:
My last exam was two weeks ago and IM GOING INSANE!!!!!!!!!

Same! I'm so bored I've been practicing some AS maths for when I start next September
Reply 68
Original post by Jodie99
Same! I'm so bored I've been practicing some AS maths for when I start next September

Atleast you still have some control over your future :frown:
I'd finish my degree, then do a Masters and then get a PhD. After that I'd be a researcher.

I really like maths.
Reply 70
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
I'd finish my degree, then do a Masters and then get a PhD. After that I'd be a researcher.

I really like maths.

How much does a PhD cost?
Depends where you go... 3 years at about £9k for where I'm looking to go, which if I were rich wouldn't be much.
I would probably go to uni if was rich, then I would work but something like volunteering to something part time possibly unless can get a job like doing and happy to do
Yes because I want a degree, and being rich would make it easier to obtain that as I could cover my own tuition fees and living expenses etc, so why not?
Also, you can go from suddenly being really rich to really broke, so having a degree as a fallback can't be a bad thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
what do you mean by "work"? i would earn money from my fortune, yes, but i wouldn't "work". i'd hire people/invest.
Lol If I was rich rich I would not be bored tho

Fair enough :L
Reply 76
Original post by Tourminator
To be fair you could invest £1M in company shares or you could buy a property or two in an expensive area and then lease it, the latter being the better option. However, one is still not out of the woods in terms of financial security so I'd still at least embark on and finish my degree.

I would say the company shares were the better option, and it would be a better investment to have more smaller properties in crappy areas than 1 bigger one.
Reply 77
Original post by Bill_Gates
Off 500k invested wisely should be able to get minimum 40-50k per year return.

Many investment strategies yield 6% per year, thats 30K return, so no you are wrong.
Original post by slg60
Many investment strategies yield 6% per year, thats 30K return, so no you are wrong.

you're only thinking about the UK here, like i said invested wisely should be able to create larger returns. Not only in a saturated dwindling economy.
Original post by slg60
I would say the company shares were the better option, and it would be a better investment to have more smaller properties in crappy areas than 1 bigger one.

The thing with company shares is that it is quite risky! If the company suddenly becomes in a financial crisis or fails to make adequate profits your investment will be either lost or the value of your shares significantly worth less. With property investment there is always high demand especially in the big cities e.g.London and Birmingham etc then you'd just get your money back from the lease and once you have that you can continue to make a profit forever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending