The Student Room Group

Gap year before vet school

I’m not sure whether to take a gap year before vet school. I’ve got an offer from Liverpool but its on hold so it could be for 2024 or 2025 but if i want to I can choose to defer it. What are other people’s experiences with this?
At Liverpool they often do deferred offers so you certainly wouldn't be alone on a gap year - and they're quite common across the vet schools anyway. I didn't get any offers the first time I applied so took a gap year to reapply but I think of it as a blessing in disguise and not just because it meant I skipped the main covid uni year. There was less opportunities for me due to it being covid but also I'm not the most exciting person so I didn't want to do this but loads of people travel for a portion of their gap year and visit their friends who are at uni for a 'taster'. I personally worked at a restaurant and volunteered at a stables through my gap year, which meant I had a lot of savings behind me before I started a 5 year course that you don't get many opportunities to work throughout which really helped. I also used to be mega shy due to bullying at school and being out of the education environment and instead around working adults who were a lot less immature and more friendly really changed me for the better, I'm definitely not shy anymore and I feel that's had a great impact on my life. I think being outside of a school environment really helps one to grow as a person and see the 'outside world', and honestly a break from full time education is great when you are about to start a very intense degree. I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone who regretted a gap year tbh, but obviously do what's best for you 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
At Liverpool they often do deferred offers so you certainly wouldn't be alone on a gap year - and they're quite common across the vet schools anyway. I didn't get any offers the first time I applied so took a gap year to reapply but I think of it as a blessing in disguise and not just because it meant I skipped the main covid uni year. There was less opportunities for me due to it being covid but also I'm not the most exciting person so I didn't want to do this but loads of people travel for a portion of their gap year and visit their friends who are at uni for a 'taster'. I personally worked at a restaurant and volunteered at a stables through my gap year, which meant I had a lot of savings behind me before I started a 5 year course that you don't get many opportunities to work throughout which really helped. I also used to be mega shy due to bullying at school and being out of the education environment and instead around working adults who were a lot less immature and more friendly really changed me for the better, I'm definitely not shy anymore and I feel that's had a great impact on my life. I think being outside of a school environment really helps one to grow as a person and see the 'outside world', and honestly a break from full time education is great when you are about to start a very intense degree. I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone who regretted a gap year tbh, but obviously do what's best for you 🙂

Thank you this is definitely making me lean towards a gap year as I’ve heard a few others say similar things!
Reply 3
Original post by rachel74748
I’m not sure whether to take a gap year before vet school. I’ve got an offer from Liverpool but its on hold so it could be for 2024 or 2025 but if i want to I can choose to defer it. What are other people’s experiences with this?
Hiya! I did two gap years before starting Vet school this September (currently on my second gap, accepted to Surrey and waiting on others). First because of family issues and the second because I didn't get into any of my 4 applications. I can only speak from my own experience but I feel like getting rejected and doing these two gap years were a blessing in disguise as I was 17 when I graduated from IB(A-Level equivalent) and quite immature. My communication skills and teamwork skills hadn't been built up yet. I feel like I benefited greatly from my two gap years and I've had some of the wildest adventures during this time. I'd say travel if you could afford it and if not, work full time and live either at home or in a houseshare with other students. Get interested in hobbies, 10/10 would recommend. Gap years aren't just for rich people who want to go travelling, enjoy your time before you take on the identity of the vet student or vet for the rest of your career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending