The Student Room Group

Should I give up on Oxford?

GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA
AS: AABBBC (extenuating circumstances: two deaths and three chronic conditions among maths staff in the space of a few months - scary right? we were scared too - so was required to self study the majority of maths and further maths from November onwards. Results should have been AAAABC. My school is going to raise this issue in my reference and references of other students affected.)
A2: A*AB (course requirements A*AA, but one compulsory subject has not been taken yet. The B was due to missing out a double page, worth 12 marks, in one of the modules and not realising until a couple of minutes before the end. Will retake this one module next year.)
I (very regrettably) didn't take a required A-Level so must take it in my gap year. I asked Warwick at their open day about this who said that as long as I get the grade in this subject by results day this year I'm just eligible as everybody else for a conditional offer. I want to go to Oxford though, who said that all A-levels 'should be done in two years' to prove that you can handle an intense workload.
I'm taking two more A-levels during my gap year so I'm expecting: A*A*A*A*A*AA.
Will this be okay for Oxford, considering the A-levels were taken over three years (although at least three would have been taken in each two-year overlap), the compulsory subject has not been taken at the time of application, and I'd only be applying with A*AB (excluding the compulsory subject), provided that I offer a strong personal statement, interview and admissions test result?
(Whether or not it's relevant I also have a Grade 8 certificate in the electric guitar.)
Be as brutal as you need to be. I don't want to apply if it's not realistic and then end up embarrassing myself :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by smartsy
GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA
AS: AABBBC (extenuating circumstances: two deaths and three chronic conditions among maths staff in the space of a few months - scary right? we were scared too - so was required to self study the majority of maths and further maths from November onwards. Results should have been AAAABC. My school is going to raise this issue in my reference and references of other students affected.)
A2: A*AB (course requirements A*AA, but one compulsory subject has not been taken yet. The B was due to missing out a double page, worth 12 marks, in one of the modules and not realising until a couple of minutes before the end. Will retake this one module next year.)
I (very regrettably) didn't take a required A-Level so must take it in my gap year. I asked Warwick at their open day about this who said that as long as I get the grade in this subject by results day this year I'm just eligible as everybody else for a conditional offer. I want to go to Oxford though, who said that all A-levels 'should be done in two years' to prove that you can handle an intense workload.
I'm taking two more A-levels during my gap year so I'm expecting: A*A*A*A*A*AA.
Will this be okay for Oxford, considering the A-levels were taken over three years (although at least three would have been taken in each two-year overlap), the compulsory subject has not been taken at the time of application, and I'd only be applying with A*AB (excluding the compulsory subject), provided that I offer a strong personal statement, interview and admissions test result?
(Whether or not it's relevant I also have a Grade 8 certificate in the electric guitar.)
Be as brutal as you need to be. I don't want to apply if it's not realistic and then end up embarrassing myself :frown:

Your GCSE' are realistic but for medicine i believe they (oxford) are quite strict on the resitting of exams in a third year. I would apply there (you never know), your A2 grades are still strong but they probably would expect A*'s in the subjects taken in your third year (if they even consider resits)
Reply 2
Original post by Hayley Williams
Your GCSE' are realistic but for medicine i believe they (oxford) are quite strict on the resitting of exams in a third year. I would apply there (you never know), your A2 grades are still strong but they probably would expect A*'s in the subjects taken in your third year (if they even consider resits)

Thank you. They have every reason to be strict on that so I understand. I'm applying for physics :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending