The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well put Anna! I would recommend visiting the Campus and the surrounding areas.

The Cornwall Campus is smaller than most university campuses, therefore there will be less people to go on TSR. Equally it could be reflection of the busy life on the Cornwall Campus.

Good luck

Ian
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Um, Cornwall Campus? :redface:

Angelil help, is Classical stuff in Cornwall?
Reply 22
db
Um, Cornwall Campus? :redface:

Angelil help, is Classical stuff in Cornwall?

Classics is taken at the main Streatham campus, as far as I'm aware :smile:
Reply 23
i was just wondering how many students are there roughly here? are there a lot? obviously not as much as exeter main but enough right? and also i'm considering cornwall because i think there'll be a lot less rahs here. i know about 10 complete pricks in my year who are looking at exeter because it's 'cool' and i know from various sources they'll be in their element there. is cornwall like this at all? and also i'm a bit concerned as to the lack of a town/shops/cafes and pubs??
Reply 24
At a guess there will be about 1,800 students on campus. Based on the fact there will be 800 rooms in accommodation (up from 500), and that its mostly first years in accommodation.

Culture-wise, things are more laid back in Cornwall than at Streatham, stemming from the high proportion of surfers etc.

Falmouth is the nearest town for shops, cafés and pubs. Falmouth can't boast a big indoor shopping centre, but has all the normal high street shops, and plenty of cafés. Along with a large Weatherspoons, there are numerous pubs, many of which have live music at least once a week, and three night clubs (none of which are massive).

I would recommend coming down to see the campus, and popping into Falmouth, its the best way to get a feel for the place.

Hope that helps

Ian
Reply 25
Hi!!

I really can't decide where to go..either Cornwall or Southampton..or maybe Swansea!I've got offers from all of them to study Geography...there are aspects from each of them I really like...wish I could just join them together!!hmmmm...

Any ideas on how to make a decision I would be grateful:smile:
Reply 26
Katiekat
Hi!!

I really can't decide where to go..either Cornwall or Southampton..or maybe Swansea!I've got offers from all of them to study Geography...there are aspects from each of them I really like...wish I could just join them together!!hmmmm...

Any ideas on how to make a decision I would be grateful:smile:

I think that Southampton is academically the strongest out of the 3 you picked which is one of the main reasons why I chose it as firm. :biggrin:
Reply 27
yeh your prob right!!...bout i have decided on Cornwall, its just really nice down there!

Is it true tho that you get hairy knuckles if you live in Cornwall??
Reply 28
Katiekat
yeh your prob right!!...bout i have decided on Cornwall, its just really nice down there!

Is it true tho that you get hairy knuckles if you live in Cornwall??

:s-smilie: Never heard that one.
I'd guess you're more likely to get hairy knuckles if you live up north cos it's colder. :biggrin:
Reply 29
My knuckles aren't hairy yet! You will probably gain a love for pasties though...

Ian
Reply 30
lol...well thats gd..don't fancy having hairy knuckles!
Reply 31
just a few q's - thanks for any replies! :wink:
- how expensive is Cornwall (apart from the accommodation which is quite pricey)? and how hard is it to find a part-time job? do many people have one?
- where are the nearest shops?

and also any comments on the history course there would be v. useful!
Reply 32
youll prob gain a sickness to pasties eventually!
but you will become a bit of a pasty expert!
to IGS - your knuckles are hairy!! :P

but mine arent!

Gosha - I dont understand what you mean by is it expensive? We get a cheaper bus fair of 60p eachway from campus to falmouth whereas it would normally be £2! Not quite sure what else to comment on here - you soon learn where is cheap and where is not and if any nights are cheaper than others!

The nearest shops are in Falmouth but there are more in Truro - think more on this has already been said earlier!

And im a biologist so no nothing about your course sorry!

Hope thats of some help

:smile:
Reply 33
I applied for both the Cornwall Campus & the main campus. I visited both within two days and loved them. I got an offer of AAB for Politics at the main campus (higher than the typical offer sadly :frown:) I also got an offer of BBB for Law & Politics at Cornwall. I've accepted it as my firm offer.

What I loved about the Cornwall Campus was the brand new facilities-loads of money seems to have been spent on making it the best possible. I was unable to make the Open Days so I was taken on a Private Tour, they prepared a folder of documents for me, relevant to the course I'd applied to. One of the Academics came and answered any questions I had.

The accommodation was second-to-none (I love my home comforts!).

Granted, the major downside is that it is far from home. But I really hope that I make the grades to go there!

Lauren
xxx
Reply 34
I applied to study history at the cornwall campus and recently put it as my firm offer. I went to the open day a few weeks ago and it was really nice, i can't wait to go. Does anyone know what the nightlife is like?
Reply 35
HI,

I'm considering to apply for 'renewable energy' at cornwall campus through extra. The course sounds amazing, but I find it a bit risky to reject my other offers before I know a bit more about it. Does anyone here either study the course or know anyone who does??
Also, how can you get to cornwall campus? from london or any other major airports? and how long does it take? (I live in Norway, so I already have a long way to come:p: )

Thanks!
Mona:smile:
Reply 36
yup i know a few people on this course and they love it!!
If you go to the open day next wed i know one is definately working showing people round and stuff!!

If not ill ask him to come on here for you :smile:

You can fly to newquay from london - have a look on the airsouth west webste :smile:

Good luck
xx
Reply 37
Thanks!

Unfortunately I won't be able to come to the open day :frown:
but if your friend would be willing to comment on what the course is like, how big the classes are, if the teaching is good etc. I would really appreciate that!:smile:

Mona
blablabla
Thanks!

Unfortunately I won't be able to come to the open day :frown:
but if your friend would be willing to comment on what the course is like, how big the classes are, if the teaching is good etc. I would really appreciate that!:smile:

Mona

Yo I guess I am the mate Anna meant. I am currently coming near to the end of my first year doing Renewable Energy. The course is really good so far. The whole group (of about 30 people) went on a fieldtrip round the South West of England earlier on in the year for about a week, and I have just got back from another fieldtrip to a tidal barrage in France (half the group goes to France, half goes to Denmark).
The course itself is good, although at them moment it is mainly engineering based. Doing renewable energy there are about 30 people, but when it comes to general engineering lectures we share with miners which means there can be up to 50-60 in a single lecture. However this isn't very much compared with some lectures (I believe Anna has more in hers for example). However all of the lecturers explain things really well, and really know what they are talking about (some of them are the leading academics in their field worldwide).
Other things of note about this course is it is one of the only one's of it's kind in the UK (and the oldest). Not only this but there are great links with industry, both due to how good the course is and also because it is a CSM course. For example, several members of staff are paid for by major electricity companies, and there are links with many other companies. In addition we are also going to be running the Wave Hub project (the first major wave farm commercial development in the world). www.wavehub.co.uk

Hope I have been of help, and any further questions don't hesitate to contact me.

Matt
Reply 39
Hi Matt,

thanks a lot! The course sounds amazing! I have some more questions though if you dont mind:redface:
how much maths and physics do you have? or how mathematical or physical are the modules (I've had a quick look at the list..)
I like these subjects and all my offers are actually for maths and physics..but then I noticed the renewable energy course on extra and thought it would be great to actually study something that is so useful!
Can i ask you why you chose it? and what your alternatives were?

Also, how is it to live in such a small campus? Is the atmosphere good etc..
and since your classes are relatively small, is it easy to get to know people?
Do you have small group tutorials?

sorry, that was alot of questions:redface:
thank you for your time!

Mona:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending