The Student Room Group

Should the tubes go driverless?

It amazes me why more train services (and underground metro services) around the world aren't driver-less? We are making so many strides into driver-less car technology, and that is much more complicated and risky than a train since a road network is more unpredictable and ever-changing.

Trains don't need to share with other vehicles, or near people on pavements, or on deteriorating roads, or with bad human drivers, and yet cars are becoming driver-less?

Of course I know the argument against, the tube workers won't be happy and unions will go against this with all their might. It would also be expensive to set up a driver-less system too.

Do you think we should make the tubes (and trains) driver-less?

Scroll to see replies

I feel severely uncomfortable with the idea of driverless cars.

And I dunno about the tube. The DLR being driverless is great because if you're lucky you can 'drive the train' but if you're underground that joy wouldn't be there.
Original post by GuppyFox
It amazes me why more train services (and underground metro services) around the world aren't driver-less? We are making so many strides into driver-less car technology, and that is much more complicated and risky than a train since a road network is more unpredictable and ever-changing.

Trains don't need to share with other vehicles, or near people on pavements, or on deteriorating roads, or with bad human drivers, and yet cars are becoming driver-less?

Of course I know the argument against, the tube workers won't be happy and unions will go against this with all their might. It would also be expensive to set up a driver-less system too.

They are going to do so. Its in the proposals. Driverless trains cost lots of money and it will be a gradual thing
Yes and I hope the maintenance engineers have a strong union backing them :wink:
I reckon this will be the case in the future, technology is becoming more advanced.
No!!!
If there is a fire in the middle of the track underground
The computer wouldnt know and many people may be injured but if the driver was there he/she could stop the train before the accident site.
Totes not saying this because i may want to be a tube driver
Reply 6
Original post by Moosferatu
Yes and I hope the maintenance engineers have a strong union backing them :wink:

Why? Surely if the trains do go driverless you'd need someone to maintain and repair any faults in the systems that allow the trains to be fully automatic haha
Technology will move forward and we probably will have no drivers in the tubes eventually but where will it end? We have technology taking everybody's jobs and only creating minimal jobs to replace all of the ones that are going. Unemployment is already high. Boycott supermarkets that have self serve checkouts and where possible buy stuff made in your own country.
Original post by StevenJH
Why? Surely if the trains do go driverless you'd need someone to maintain and repair any faults in the systems that allow the trains to be fully automatic haha

Yep. The maintenace engineers find themselves in possession of a very unique skillset needed to keep the entire city going. Meanwhile everyone they know is having their wages slashed, living in fear and basically living a pathetic existence at the mercy of the Tory lapdogs. Gee, I wonder what they could do to make things a bit better for themselves...
Well it wouldn't be very good for train drivers but it probably is a move that's going to be inevitable. I mean the DLR is already practically driverless so I wouldn't have thought it'd be too difficult to extend that over the entire tube network.
Reply 10
Yep. The maintenace engineers find themselves in possession of a very unique skillset needed to keep the entire city going. Meanwhile everyone they know is having their wages slashed, living in fear and basically living a pathetic existence at the mercy of the Tory lapdogs. Gee, I wonder what they could do to make things a bit better for themselves...

Well that's open for everyone's interpretation isn't it? Yes tube drivers are paid very well and are well compensated for the job they do but the strikes this week haven't just been about money, there's also issues of health and safety for when the all night tube comes into force. And to be fair, striking is a last resort and they are well within their legal right to do so. I'm sure if they could, they would work as normal and just open the barriers and let commuters travel for free to prove their point but unfortunately they would lose their jobs.
Original post by StevenJH
Well that's open for everyone's interpretation isn't it? Yes tube drivers are paid very well and are well compensated for the job they do but the strikes this week haven't just been about money, there's also issues of health and safety for when the all night tube comes into force. And to be fair, striking is a last resort and they are well within their legal right to do so. I'm sure if they could, they would work as normal and just open the barriers and let commuters travel for free to prove their point but unfortunately they would lose their jobs.

Would be a lot better if they could do that... The public would be on their side for sure.
When I was in Dubai I was driving the train. :colone:

I felt safe on those and feel safe on the DLR so it's a thumbs up from me. Of course they'd need to have safety doors at the platform edge so there's no nasty accidents.

Given that the unions are driving costs up i'd say yes, once we reach the point at which automation is cheaper.
Reply 14
Would be a lot better if they could do that... The public would be on their side for sure.

Agreed, a shame really but I think that a large amount of the criticism that the drivers have recieved this week comes down to envy and people being p*ssed of that they'd have to walk to work in the sunshine.

Still though, I look forward too when the equivalent of WW3 kicks off when fully automated trains become a reality and this whole scenario re-occurs only 10x worse :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Roving Fish
When I was in Dubai I was driving the train. :colone:

I felt safe on those and feel safe on the DLR so it's a thumbs up from me. Of course they'd need to have safety doors at the platform edge so there's no nasty accidents.

*Books trip to Dubai* That picture is cool!
*Books trip to Dubai* That picture is cool!

Built by only the finest foreign slave labour?
They will in 2020

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'd still need PSAs who I imagine will want similar conditions to current drivers.

You would not allow an unattended train to enter a tunnel. It wouldn't happen.
Reply 19
And costing the jobs of hundreds? So instead of a strike there is a glitch? Pathetic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending