The Student Room Group

Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering MEng jobs??

I want to do Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering MEng but everyone's saying there aren't that many jobs for Aerospace engineers!! Is this right?
If i choose to do this Engineering will it be hard for me in future to get a job?
What is the starting pay for an Aerospace engineer?
Original post by sztirmzi
I want to do Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering MEng but everyone's saying there aren't that many jobs for Aerospace engineers!! Is this right?
If i choose to do this Engineering will it be hard for me in future to get a job?

Not really. Nearly any job which a mechanical engineering degree can get you into, an aerospace one can too.
Original post by sztirmzi

When people say there aren't that many jobs for aerospace engineers they mean that there aren't aerospace specific jobs. That's because there actually aren't a lot companies in aerospace sector, major ones on UK are Airbus, BAE Systems, Astrium, AgustaWestland etc. However a fully qualified aerospace engineer is just as capable in working in all sorts of industries, they can do the same job as mech engineers, can go into finance if you want (but don't) or any other engineering sector you fancy. So yes there is lots of jobs available. If you come out with a a good degree it wont be hard to get a job. Although if you are aiming for a space company then the competition is hard. For companies like Space X you have to be different, you have to be they guy who is always working on things by yourself, they want the I-piss excellence mavericks of the engineering community. Also don't worry about pay, I'm sure its higher than average. If you are choosing aerospace because of the pay then don't
Reply 3
Original post by bigboateng
When people say there aren't that many jobs for aerospace engineers they mean that there aren't aerospace specific jobs. That's because there actually aren't a lot companies in aerospace sector, major ones on UK are Airbus, BAE Systems, Astrium, AgustaWestland etc. However a fully qualified aerospace engineer is just as capable in working in all sorts of industries, they can do the same job as mech engineers, can go into finance if you want (but don't) or any other engineering sector you fancy. So yes there is lots of jobs available. If you come out with a a good degree it wont be hard to get a job. Although if you are aiming for a space company then the competition is hard. For companies like Space X you have to be different, you have to be they guy who is always working on things by yourself, they want the I-piss excellence mavericks of the engineering community. Also don't worry about pay, I'm sure its higher than average. If you are choosing aerospace because of the pay then don't

Also you have to be American (or US resident) to work for SpaceX or similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Also you have to be American (or US resident) to work for SpaceX or similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah I keep hearing that, which is true for the average person. I guess I'm gonna be the first non-american to work for an american space company. Usually if you are a rare person they'll hire you. Although I'm aiming for Bigelow aerospace as opposed to Space X, I like smaller companies.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest