The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
....if I'm not busy with work and whatnot.

For me, more work = more time wasted reading :p:
Reply 21
mojopin
Out of interest how long does it take you to get through a piece of literature. i recently met someone who said whilst on holiday he'd got through 30 books in a month, so basically one a day. To me this seems like absolute rubbish. It usually takes me at least 4 or 5 days to get through something of maybe 400-500 pages . Just wondering what other people's reading habits are like or if i'm just unbelievably slow when it comes to books

30 in a month is realistic, I read all 20 Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin novels in a month this summer. I also read the first 4 Harry Potter books in a Day a couple of years ago.

Basically, speed increases as you read, so if you read for long periods rather than short then you'll read faster. It depends on how long you read. For the O'Brian feat I generally started one at 10 p.m. and read until I finished at around 1:30 to 2. Then I slept till 11. This sleep pattern was very difficult to get out of :smile:
Reply 22
Fiction- 3-5 days
non fiction- around 2 weeks (depending on how interesting it is)
Reply 23
Emerald
I'm the same as well although tis not a good thing some times as i'll want to slow down to savour a book but won't be able to help myself.
Yeah, I know the feeling - it's annoying!
I once had a teacher who thought I was lying when I said I'd finished some reading in 10 mins that was to take us 30 mins in class. he just would not believe me and the next lesson he bought some kind of speed reading test in with like a smug smile on his face. I got a really high score and he was just speechless:biggrin:

Hehe! :p:
In English -- A day at most, usually only a few hours.
In French -- 2-3 days.
In Catalan/Spanish/Italian/Latin -- about a week.
Philosophy set texts -- 2-3 weeks. Sometimes I never finish them...
Reply 25
At the moment... months!!

I have about 5 unfinished books lol.
Reply 26
30 in a month is not unrealistic.

For me it depends on the length of the book, fiction/non-fiction and the difficulty of the subject matter. I do ocassionally get through a book in a single session. I normally have several books on the go at one time and finish them at a rate of 2-3 a week.
I have been reading Bleak House for over a month now but that is because I am not really enjoying it.
Reply 27
Varies with the type of book, something light I'll read in a few days, recently read Hannibal over a weekend, something with a bit more substance will take me a few weeks, have been reading Catch 22 for a week and a half now. I'm dyslexic though and according to my psych report I'm a really slow reader.
Also depends on how much I've got going on, as others have said. Sometimes I'll sit there for a couple of hours reading, otherwise it's a chapter in bed.
Depends what the book is on. Harry potter i can read in about 6 hours (the half blood prince) and science related books i read very quickly...but other stuff, it can take me weeks if i'm not 100% interested
Reply 29
This thread makes me quite depressed as I am a prospective English student and I seem to be a very slow reader compared to most people! It does depend on the book; if it's a modern book I usually read it in about 4-5 days, if it's older (anything pre-20th century, though some more intellectual modern books) I tend to take a week or more. I do read about three books at a time normally, however, which probably is a factor. However, the idea of reading the fifth Harry Potter in a few hours is far from realistic to me!
I really want to improve my reading speed, just because I want to be able to read as much as possible for my degree. Does anyone know of any ways of getting to be faster? Or any courses, etc to learn to speed read? I don't want to read super-fast as I like to savour language, but I'd like the option to fly through a book in a few hours as well.
It completely depends on the book and time I have available to read... Some books take me a day, others take weeks at times.
Reply 31
I don't think I have ever read a book in less than a couple of days and that's if I'm doing nothing else. I'm not a very fast reader tbh. My dad seems to be able to knock off a decent sized book in an afternoon - I think his reading technique is different than mine - I read each word - he skim reads.
Reply 32
Too long probably, about a month recently. I only read about 20-30 min a day though.
My dad seems to be able to knock off a decent sized book in an afternoon - I think his reading technique is different than mine - I read each word - he skim reads.

I'm a really fast reader, and I've been told that it's because I don't read each word - I only read the beginning of each word, and skip the end as soon as I've guessed its meaning. My gran does that as well, and she's the fastest reader I've ever met. And I think I'm starting to do it in English as well, so I'm increasing my reading speed in this language now.
I'm not really aware I read this way though - only when, sometimes, I guess the end of the word wrongly and it changes the meaning of the sentence - but it doesn't happen very often. Sometimes I'd like to take the time to savour each word, but I can't, I have to read fast otherwise it becomes fastidious and boring. Like looking up words when I read in English - I've never done it in my life.
Reply 34
Cambyses
This thread makes me quite depressed as I am a prospective English student and I seem to be a very slow reader compared to most people! It does depend on the book; if it's a modern book I usually read it in about 4-5 days, if it's older (anything pre-20th century, though some more intellectual modern books) I tend to take a week or more. I do read about three books at a time normally, however, which probably is a factor. However, the idea of reading the fifth Harry Potter in a few hours is far from realistic to me!
I really want to improve my reading speed, just because I want to be able to read as much as possible for my degree. Does anyone know of any ways of getting to be faster? Or any courses, etc to learn to speed read? I don't want to read super-fast as I like to savour language, but I'd like the option to fly through a book in a few hours as well.

Just read more. Sorry to be so predictable, but spend at least an hour each day, preferably more, reading. I put my quick speed down to the fact that I read for at least and hour and a half every day from about 5-14. I still get in an hour every day usually.
Reply 35
ukebert
Just read more. Sorry to be so predictable, but spend at least an hour each day, preferably more, reading. I put my quick speed down to the fact that I read for at least and hour and a half every day from about 5-14. I still get in an hour every day usually.

Guess that works for some people, but I read for about 3-4 hours every day and still don't manage to actually read quickly. I think it must be about adopting a certain technique, really.
Reply 36
Cambyses
Guess that works for some people, but I read for about 3-4 hours every day and still don't manage to actually read quickly. I think it must be about adopting a certain technique, really.

In that case you're probably right.
Reply 37
In that case you're probably right.

I think I've read somewhere about how some people read the letters, some read the words, and some can read lines at a time.

I have to read at about the spead I read aloud, but a little quicker. I get faustrated in English though when we read it out round the class because it's soooo slow. You can't enjoy it like that either!

Also, when I read something I really like, like some nice sentences with pretty words, I have to read it back again a few times. :love:
Reply 38
It depends what I'm doing, If I'm on holiday with nothing else to do I might read a whole book in a morning. Normaly if I've found a really good book I force myself to leave it and come back later, because it would be a shame to read it all so fast!

I think spreading a book out makes you get to know the characters better and keeps you in suspence longer.
Reply 39
It depends on how good the book is. If I am really into the book i could read it in less than a day depending on how much time I have. However there is the odd book that has taken me several weeks and even months to get round to finishing.

Latest

Trending

Trending